Linked Events

• CTC AGM camping weekend: 15 May, 2010 - 16 May, 2010

Author Topic: CTC AGM camping weekend  (Read 15237 times)

CTC AGM camping weekend
« on: 19 December, 2009, 07:14:37 pm »
In the light of what Regulator says on this thread.

Perhaps we should call to arms, but combine it with some very fine cycling in Leicestershire. Leicestershire has some very good cycling. It's been alledged to be comparable with 1950s Britain for traffic levels along the many country lanes. Good scenery to see, but can be hilly.

Camp site and all other logistics TBA.
But we'll get the ball rolling by getting an idea of numbers. Nn CTC members also welcome. It is, after all a fun weekend of cycling with camping (or hotelling or whatever you prefer) after all.

Soooo, who's coming?

Julian

• samoture
Re: CTC AGM camping weekend
« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:29:00 pm »
That's a fine idea.  I'm up for that :)

« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:33:17 pm »
That's a fine idea.  I'm up for that :)

Assuming that the red haired one would never miss an opertunity for some camping and cycling, then I'll assume that we are now a crowd. :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »
Where is it in Leicestershire exactly?   I'm currently not a member (Stoker is) but an overnight camping sounds the bizz.   

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:40:23 pm »
Can I be a definate maybe please?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:43:03 pm »
Assuming that the red haired one would never miss an opertunity for some camping and cycling, then I'll assume that we are now a crowd. :thumbsup:

Aye, I'm up for it.  Gives me an excuse to turn up for the dinner inna LBD and my gert big army boots  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:46:45 pm »
This could be good use of one of my long weekends.

Where in Leicestershire are we heading?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:48:30 pm »
I'm up for this, and my diary is clear that weekend :thumbsup:

Not been to the AGM before so looking forward to it

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:49:08 pm »
Slack handful of possibles here...
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:50:21 pm »
Quote from: Charlotte
Gives me an excuse to turn up for the dinner inna LBD and my gert big army boots
I can't work out if you're Daria Morgendorffer or Jane Lane  :)

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:51:07 pm »
Where is it in Leicestershire exactly?   I'm currently not a member (Stoker is) but an overnight camping sounds the bizz.   

<<quickly grabs CTC mag and looks it up>>

The AGM is in Loughbourough, so I'd suggest camping east of Loughborough. The Vale of Belvoir has some nice lanes to cycle on. So does the area around Oakham. Very nice cafe at the windmill at Wymondham.

« Reply #11 on: 19 December, 2009, 07:57:27 pm »
The actual CTC dinner costs £30. I like the idea of a YACF massiv' attending then riding off into the night afterwards. Not sure if everyone wants to spend £30 on dinner though. I certainly wouldn't mind.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2009, 08:00:44 pm »
The actual CTC dinner costs £30. I like the idea of a YACF massiv' attending then riding off into the night afterwards. Not sure if everyone wants to spend £30 on dinner though. I certainly wouldn't mind.

Pay twice and you can have two!

« Reply #13 on: 19 December, 2009, 08:03:48 pm »

Pay twice and you can have two!

My usual trick is to sit with those who only manage to eat half of their dinner. That way I pay once and have at least two.

John Henry

« Reply #14 on: 19 December, 2009, 08:22:28 pm »
I might well be up for this - it would be a good opportunity to meet a few YACFers in person. I know the area well as I grew up there, and I can pronounce the Vale of Belvoir correctly without sniggering. I could combine it with a trip to my parents in Oakham.

I'm not sure I'd be super keen to attend the AGM and dinner, though - but provided it's acceptable just to camp, cycle and drink a few beers, you can put me down as a definite maybe.

« Reply #15 on: 19 December, 2009, 08:45:52 pm »
- but provided it's acceptable just to camp, cycle and drink a few beers, you can put me down as a definite maybe.

I'll put you down as a definite maybe then.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:19:27 pm »
The AGM is in Loughbourough, so I'd suggest camping east of Loughborough. The Vale of Belvoir has some nice lanes to cycle on. So does the area around Oakham. Very nice cafe at the windmill at Wymondham.

Loughborough, that's in cycling distance.  :thumbsup:
I'm up for that...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #17 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:27:28 pm »
The same weekend as the BC, can't make it  :(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:38:35 pm »
I will go, presumably at CTC expense.
If teethgrinder cares to sit near me, he can finish my dinner as I don't eat like I did in my randonneuse days.
Afraid I can't camp but may try the LBD...
PS I went to primary school in Leicester so can pronounce 'Belvoir'...

« Reply #19 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:38:51 pm »
Good scenery to see ...

Actually, I prefer the concept of "scenery as an abstract entity" - to be admired and ratiocinated over whilst perusing the map, delving into its hollows and being awed by its rugged contour lines - but to actually look at it - sod that!

Leics is my part of the world so might be interested in the camping - but not in the £30 meal!  :o

« Reply #20 on: 19 December, 2009, 10:55:08 pm »
The same weekend as the BC, can't make it  :(

That's a bit of a bummer  :(

Good scenery to see ...

Actually, I prefer the concept of "scenery as an abstract entity" - to be admired and ratiocinated over whilst perusing the map, delving into its hollows and being awed by its rugged contour lines - but to actually look at it - sod that!

But unless you look at the scenery, how do you know what you are admiring? Or do you just imagine it? I'd rather go out and look at it and experience it. I can imagine what I like.

Leics is my part of the world so might be interested in the camping - but not in the £30 meal!  :o

£30 is a bit steep. I'm happy to go with the flow and if I spend less than a tenner on a good campfire feed instead of £30 on what will probably be a mediocre nosh up, then I'll chose the £10 option every time. But I'll go with the flow because I'm coming for the company too.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 19 December, 2009, 11:52:05 pm »
I'd be more than happy not to spend £30. I'd vote for an 'Uts-style takeaway in which we just get a lot of curry in, eat our fill and then enjoy the spectacle of TG emptying all the unfinished foil trays.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:07:13 am »
Unfortunately, some of us will have to attend the dinner.  I only hope that they cut the speeches back.

You can tell that the Chair is a former local councillor... boy, does he speechify.  It got rather embarassing how long he went on this year.   :facepalm:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #23 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:33:14 am »
Unfortunately, some of us will have to attend the dinner.  I only hope that they cut the speeches back.

You can tell that the Chair is a former local councillor... boy, does he speechify.  It got rather embarassing how long he went on this year.   :facepalm:

Just give him a very large, very sticky and very chewy toffee. That should keep him quiet. ;D

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #24 on: 20 December, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »
Lufbra was my Uni......