Author Topic: Solstice WARTY  (Read 15415 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Solstice WARTY
« Reply #50 on: 18 June, 2010, 07:23:05 pm »
Front light well & truly fettled.

(Apologies for blurry picture.  An extremely cheap camera.)

The "off-switch" is operated by unplugging the (voltage converter) circuit board from its socket.  The IQ Cyo doesn't seem to be as bright as my Cateye Double-Shot, but taking 40mA from a 1.2 Ah battery gives a theoretical burn time of 30 hours.

Getting front light orientation is a bit tricky during bright sunshine.  I'm going to have to wait for dusk to do final fettling.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #51 on: 18 June, 2010, 10:43:50 pm »
CAKE is now baked. Jurek and I felt it was only fair to sample it, just in case you understand. We are still alive.

I am bringing some snacks to nom on through the night, although I seem to remember I was not that hungry last year after the curry.

Aside from fruit cake for all, I am also bringing bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon for brekkie - there should be just about enough for 1 bagel each.

I will have 2 water bottles for tea and general quaff-age. Jurek also has water. We will have tea bags. I have 200mL milk for tea.

Well, this is my current plan for world domination for food.

The only snag is I have yet to try and fit any of this in my rackpack.....  ::-)

Anything else?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #52 on: 18 June, 2010, 11:19:29 pm »
I too have lots of salmon.  Other than brunch bars and a camelbak full of water, nothing else yet.  I expect to buy stuff (such as bread to put the salmon in) from that convenience store just along from the Indian in Glastonbury.  And some cans/small bottles of caffeine-based drink, as a coffee-substitute.

What's the weather forecast?

« Reply #53 on: 18 June, 2010, 11:39:34 pm »
The weather is forecast to be dry and possibly a little chilled.  I've seen as low as 7°C, so I'm going to bring a pair of long tights to pull on over the shorts at Glastonbury, once the sun goes down.

Most of my current food supplies is cakeish, but I'll probably bung a couple of Weetabix in for breakfast, and I may quickly buy some baps and bacon, either tomorrow morning, or at that store in Glastonbury.

I've utterly failed to find the battery charger for my camera, and it was flashing a red symbol at me last weekend at Woolly's do, so I think my camera is dead for this event, although I'll still have the camera in my phone (of limited functionality obviously).  I hope someone else is brining a camera so we can be immortalised for posterity. ;D

I can bring my little tripod, so we can take a group shot using a self timer, if someone else has a working camera!  (I could bring my SLR, but that's a little heavy even for me!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #54 on: 18 June, 2010, 11:44:29 pm »
Definitely a night for longs and an extra layer.

I'll buy some milk in Glastonbury.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #55 on: 19 June, 2010, 09:06:15 am »
I can bring my camera.

« Reply #56 on: 19 June, 2010, 09:24:31 am »
I'll alert Bill Oddie at Badger Watch!   ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #57 on: 19 June, 2010, 09:43:16 am »
I suppose I had better start getting ready...

« Reply #58 on: 19 June, 2010, 09:53:14 am »
I think I've found everything that I need.  I may pop out to Sainsburys for some bacon.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #59 on: 19 June, 2010, 10:25:13 am »
7°C with northerly winds at 4 a.m. That requires longs & possibly warm gloves.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #60 on: 19 June, 2010, 10:51:48 am »
I've bought the smallest jar of coffee I could find.  Various nibbles and (shop-bought) CAKE :-[, and all sorts of other needful stuff.

I haz panniers. I'll take any stuff that others don't have space for.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: 19 June, 2010, 10:57:43 am »
Porridge oats, dried fruit, railways sugar, tea bags, plate, dish, cup, spoon, knife, fork, stove, pans...

Buy milk in Glastonbury.

Must visit cash machine.

« Reply #62 on: 19 June, 2010, 11:07:23 am »
I have run out of time, after having to hunt down the pins for my brake blocks.   I don't want a repeat of last year!

I'll pick up some bacon and baps in Glastonbury if I can, otherwise I have cake and magic porridge mix, as well as coffee and tea makings.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #63 on: 19 June, 2010, 11:24:52 am »
Have a lovely ride :)

« Reply #64 on: 19 June, 2010, 11:55:36 am »

Just been back home to pick up leg warmers, long fingied gloves, hat, fleece buff...... must be close to midsummer ::-) ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Tomorrow
« Reply #65 on: 19 June, 2010, 11:56:21 am »
Cold and damp in Southend. Not a lot better in Upminster.

Re: Tomorrow
« Reply #66 on: 19 June, 2010, 11:58:36 am »
Cold and damp in Southend. Not a lot better in Upminster.

What is it with your phone and "Tomorrow"?  ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #67 on: 19 June, 2010, 01:02:01 pm »
Speeding south thru Burton at R17 aboard my first train of the day. C u all later!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #68 on: 19 June, 2010, 07:10:57 pm »

Just been back home to pick up leg warmers, long fingied gloves, hat, fleece buff...... must be close to midsummer ::-) ;)

Well, in solidarity with your ride, I rode through this morning's dawn to an event. I were freezing! Knee-warmers + overshorts, roubaix arm-warmers+pertex jacket etc ... Didn't warm up until 0830-ish, gilet stayed on all day.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Cubes
« Reply #69 on: 20 June, 2010, 10:00:10 am »
Five down-and-outs sleep at a station. If that wasn't the coldest June night since god knows when then I'll eat my underpants.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #70 on: 20 June, 2010, 10:01:09 am »
Tramps use Special Brew to keep warm.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #71 on: 20 June, 2010, 01:52:07 pm »
Well that was absolutely fantastic :thumbsup: Even the "eepy" bits were OK.

I did this ride last year and really enjoyed it. This year it was made all the more fun with sensible gears so the hills, and there were hills, didn't cause me to fall off my bike.

But it was really chuffing cold. More cold than I think I have been on a bike. I ended up wearing everything I had and still couldn't feel my hands or feet. Wowbagger put a plastic bag on his hands.

The ride started off with a suggestion of following a bridle path instead of nicely tarmac'd road. Note to self, these are not fun on skinny tyres. We had to navigate electric fences and cows (which were very polite and let us go first). And then ended up walking through fields of knee high grass. The ride ended with what is now referred to as Salisbury "f***ing" Plain (by Jurek and I anyway - Rower40 begged to differ).

But the bits inbetween those were fantastic; the silent lanes, stars, sunset on Glastonbury Tor and sunrise at Stonehenge. All this made this ride really quite special.

A big thanks for the company, the usual smattering of smut and innuendo, and a jolly fine night.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Solstice WARTY
« Reply #72 on: 20 June, 2010, 03:10:42 pm »
That was an excellent ride.

I left Southend in rather nasty weather which was rather better in London and a lot kinder in Somerset - to start with. TimO and I met on the train and were joined at our table by two Chinese girls, whose reservations took them to Reading. I noticed that they were eating Fuku products, with evident enjoyment.

Our train change at Bath was OK and we followed the Avon, a stretch of track on which I have never travelled before. It was very picturesque and demands a camping tour one day. Hilly though! We arrived at Castle Cary, were joined shortly by Rower40 and a bit less shortly by Pippa & Jurek. We set off along an amended route dreamed up by Rower, and it was most creative. Firstly we took a road of which OSM seemed completely ignorant but this then followed exactly, for some of the time, a bridleway. It became a concrete track, where some young bovines politely stood to one side as we barged through (those two townies Pippa and Jurek were concerned that they might become victims of the carnivorous habits of a hungry cow) but we survived that and then had to ride through rough pasture. There was little sign of a path save a fairly vague notice pointing to a "Public Right of Way". Soon this joined another road of which OSM was unaware (I suspect that if we had stayed on the first road and avoided the bridleway it would have taken us to exactly the same place) but then rejoined the original route, having shortened it by a mile or two and lengthened it by about 20 minutes.

The Tor loomed larger as we approached and we took some photographs, but I was surprised how little of that route I remembered from last year. The curry house was exactly where we left it, though, and we were accommodated at a table for 5, after which the place was pretty well full. It was fairly pricey, but the meals were very good.

Rower and I climbed the Tor, I took a load of photographs, the others stayed half-way down, we had a brew and watched a rather playful young Weimaraner intimidate a couple of small children until its owner called it from some distance away. The dog hurtled down the hill, seemingly almost leaving its gonads behind in its haste to please its master. We received a textual badger report (high risk of badgers in the Glastonbury area) from Delthebike and after a bit of lights faffing off we went.

Strangely, we saw no live badgers at all, even though we were on the same road at roughly the same time as we were last year. My phone rang and, given the imminence of grandparenthood, I answered it but it was the other daughter, who hadn't given birth either.

Our progress was pretty rapid until we left the levels and started to climb. Once again, some of the road junctions were floodlit, bore "ROAD CLOSED" signs and were manned by burly types in bulging fluorescent jackets. When it came to taking the "closed" road that was on our route, Rower started to engage these bouncers in conversation, trying to reason with them, but it was clear that they were not going to let us through. I announced that this was our road and we were going that way come what may, rode through the cones and of course nothing happened. The others followed. It does, however, annoy me enormously that some private individual is given dispensation by somebody in authority (assuming he is - last year the bouncers were unable to say on whose authority the road was closed) to close public roads in order to protect his private event (the Glastonbury Festival) form potential gatecrashers.

Mostly our progress was along dark and deserted roads. However, every so often we came across some event or other: a ceilidh near a church, a noisy party in a large garden and, most interestingly, a front room with open curtains and about a dozen people sitting around a table, well after midnight. We speculated that it was a coven of witches and at one point we were certain that Jurek had been turned into a newt, but he got better.

There was one monster climb which took us to well over 200 metres above sea level (the Garmin registered about 780') and as last year, owls were heard. We endured a fairly long descent, and it was an endurance test as, keeping up speeds in excess of 15 mph for long periods whilst dropping into icy air does nothing for the comfort of the hands, especially when one took the executive decision that warm gloves would not be necessary because this is the middle of summer, isn't it, and summer is warm. At about 3 a.m. we stopped for a brew (last year we had a number of "visits", but their absence this year put us well ahead of the clock) but but was after this that my hands became painfully cold. Pippa gave me a pair of latex gloves, which provided some small protection from the wind, but not enough, and I found a polythene bag in my luggage and put that on my right hand, the open end being "sealed" around my cuff with a curly fluorescent thing from TimO. This helped a lot and I spent a good deal of time with just my right hand on the bars, my left had tucked somewhere warm.

As we came out of the Wylye valley, we tended to warm up, partly through the extra effort needed and partly because we were moving out of the frost pocket. I don't think the temperature dropped below freezing but it couldn't have been much above, most vicious for a June night. I spent a few minutes just as we reached the A36 trying to move my fingers around to get some life back into them.

This year there was no sound of machine-gun fire wafting up form the Imber area and, more encouragingly, no flags flying and none of the deep-pitched menace of manoeuvring tanks. After a quick trip to look at the stones, which we could only view from the road, we set off across Lark Hill to the appointed breakfast spot some 6 miles of roughstuff away. It was along this stretch of road that the fatigue really hit me and there were times when I could feel myself drifting off. Somehow the bike remained upright and its wheels skilfully avoided the worst of the pot-holes. There were many skylarks, quite a few whitethroats and on three occasions I heard grasshopper warblers.

We breakfasted well: smoked salmon, bacon, porridge, tea. I made use of the precariously positioned Portaloo, which rocked violently with every motion I made, and soon we were on our way for the last 10 miles or so of the ride, across the Vale of the White Horse. We passed the place where I mended last year's puncture and arrived at the station well over an hour before our train did. By this time the sun was trying to come through and we spread ourselves out and slept. When I awoke I noticed in an adjacent field a horse which was wearing what for all the world looked like a gimp mask.

On arrival back in London, Pippa, Jurek and I headed for the East End, and we parted company just as I took the turning for Fenchurch Street whereas they carried on to Canary Wharf.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #73 on: 20 June, 2010, 06:09:17 pm »
Thanks Everyone - I had a most excellent 24 hours.

Nothing much to add to what Pippa and Wow have written above; save for the facts that there was a delightfully rustic stone bridge over a stream, miles from any tarmac, on our first bridleway excursion.  I did my combine harvester impersonation when riding the 'bent through the kneechainring-high grass.

Salisbury F888ing Plain: please please please accept my apologies - I simply loved it.  (But you knew what it would be like, after last year!) Full-sus' 'bent on fat 20" wheels was made for under-tyre conditions like that. The irony was not lost on me that the only reason I was enjoying pootling across the British Army's main training ground was that I was on a German-made bike with Japanese componentry.

« Reply #74 on: 20 June, 2010, 06:58:25 pm »
Not much to add save for that being one of my most enjoyable rides, as well as one of the coldest!

Memorable moments for me?
Descending in twighlight from The Tor along the charmingly named Cinnamon Lane, and seeing The Tor, backlit by a sunset all the more spectacular for its peach, yellow and gold colours as we crossed the levels.

The choice of some utterly lovely, and almost traffic free lanes for the route.

Strangely, we saw no live badgers at all, even though we were on the same road at roughly the same time as we were last year.
I did get to see Brock. On completion of one of our ascents, I think it was near to
a ceilidh near a church
Brock made a bid for freedom from the undergrowth to my left, and pad-pad-padded across the tarmac about 10m in front of me before disappearing into the hedgerow to my right. At a couple of feet in length, and not especially stocky in stature I guess him to have been a young’un. I did call out "Badger!, badger!"  but neither he nor anyone else payed any attention.

Stargazing at a velvet blanket peppered by a million pinpricks of twinking light (and the occasional satellite) had its moments.

On arrival at Pewsey Station, with more than an hour to wait for our return train I promptly fell asleep (I was not alone in this) on the hard wooden bench on the platform. On waking, I found my short sleep to have been surprisingly refreshing and envigourating. Does this qualify me to participate in Audax?  ;)

Thanks to all the participants for your navigation,refreshments, wit and general good company.Its a ride I’d almost certainly do again. With a little hindsight (and not inconsiderable experience of night-time rides) I’d make sure I’d get some kip before attempting this ride again(I am sooooo tired after this sleepless one) and heed the weatherman a little more when he says “Cold” rather than using the calendar to judge him.