Author Topic: Post Dunwich Dynamo camping  (Read 22907 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Post Dunwich Dynamo camping
« on: 18 June, 2010, 11:38:52 am »
Right.  Following much speculation and my mention of it here, the weekend after next, Wowbagger and I will be visiting the campsite that Woolly and Peli used following last year's Dun Run and we're going to try and negotiate a corner of a foreign field that will be forever smutty YACF.  If they don't have room, we'll find something else suited to a collection of knackered, dirty and (in all likelihood) inebriate overnight cyclists.

In other words, if you're daft enough to be considering doing the Dun Run carrying full camping fig, then you might want to be plotting up with the rest of us.  Please register your interest here and I'll draw up a list of people for a block booking once we've sorted out a site.

Extra prizes for sound systems, cargo bikes, trailers, BBQs, inflatable kayaks and army-surplus marquees.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Re: Post Dunwich Dynamo camping
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2010, 11:42:03 am »
I'll keep a weather eye on this one and see how my fitness progresses over the next four weeks...

gordon taylor

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2010, 11:48:23 am »
I'm interested.

Excuse my stupidity, but I assume this booking is for most of Sunday and overnight to Monday?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2010, 12:46:44 pm »
Yeah, should have made that clear.  Booking for Sunday, leaving on Monday (so you'll need a day off work).  I'll probably ride on to Ipswich for a quick train back to the old metrop.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »
I'm in  :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2010, 03:41:49 pm »
Sounds lovely, but I think that dearly_beloved might frown quite severely if he had to take a day off work in order to look after the sprogs so that I could have a further extended silly-bike-adventure.  And the train back to York on the monday is about twice as  expensive (I checked, just in case :) )

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2010, 05:39:20 pm »
Red Five checking in.

« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2010, 12:26:59 pm »
+1  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

FatnDaft

« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2010, 05:56:05 pm »
This sounds very silly indeed. May I join you? I do not have a canoe, but will bring a trailer!

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2010, 06:02:06 pm »
Yes please

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2010, 08:06:00 pm »
Indubitably.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

gordon taylor

« Reply #11 on: 25 June, 2010, 05:28:16 am »
I'm interested.

Count me out, sorry. I'm going touring instead and Dunwich is the wrong place from which to start.  :'(

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:09:10 am »
So, the list we;re taking to Dunwich next week is:

Charlotte
Wowbagger
Kim
Wascally Weasel
andrewc
FatnDaft
Speshact

Come on - surely there must be more of you?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:49:53 pm »
Mrs. Wow will be with us for the camping, joining our party at Darsham Station at 2.45 p.m.

I've been collecting my camping gear together for the trial run. Really looking forward to this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:11:19 pm »
Probably not, here, but you never know.  It would be contingent on finding a two-wheeler trailer.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2010, 11:27:25 pm »
The problem is, the DunRun clashes badly with the Canterbury Beer Festival.

Solutions plz?
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:12:15 am »
Well it *is* carry-silly-things-to-Dunwich year.  I suggest attending the beer festival, filling panniers with beer, hopping on a train to London and then doing the DunRun.  Tactically distributing ale to fellow riders before the climbs to lighten the load.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 29 June, 2010, 08:02:50 pm »
Annie, Wow and myself are in the Ship at Dunwich. We've just been to Cliff House campsite, where a terribly rude man told us we'd have to put each of our little tents in a separate car-camping pitch at a cost of £21 a head. It was, apparently, "health and safety".

We're going to eat dinner and then go and try the Mill Hill Farm site, about 2-3 miles inland. If that's full or otherwise unsuitable, we'll wild camp in a field somewhere.

Anyone got any good suggestions?

« Reply #18 on: 29 June, 2010, 08:08:21 pm »
You could try Lonely Farm, just outside Saxmunden?
01728 663416

Just outside Saxmunden, other side of the A12on the road towards Peasenhall. We spent two night there last week and had a ride out to Dunwich from there. Took us about an hour  :-\

FatnDaft

« Reply #19 on: 29 June, 2010, 08:52:08 pm »
Is it worth asking a landlord if we could borrow a corner of their beer garden?

« Reply #20 on: 29 June, 2010, 09:00:45 pm »
Annie, Wow and myself are in the Ship at Dunwich. We've just been to Cliff House campsite, where a terribly rude man told us we'd have to put each of our little tents in a separate car-camping pitch at a cost of £21 a head. It was, apparently, "health and safety".

What utter balls. We got back from Glastonbury yesterday and, as everyone knows, the tents overlap so much you can barely walk through them.

Good luck finding somewhere.

« Reply #21 on: 29 June, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »

What utter balls. We got back from Glastonbury yesterday and, as everyone knows, the tents overlap so much you can barely walk through them.

Good luck finding somewhere.
Not many people cooking in their tents at Glastonbury though - although they may be doing other, less desirable activities. As my cousin once demonstrated in my NEW tent - hot rocks only melt a hole in the floor - they might not burn the tent down ::-).

The C&CC recommend 6 metres between tents and the ALC insist. This does not apply to pup tents that are solely for sleeping in.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:15:37 pm »

Sod it.  We've camped about half a mile down from the Flora cafe, amongst the dunes. There's nobody here and we're sitting on the beach in the fading light, eating strawberries and listening to the sea.

Bloody lovely :)

« Reply #23 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:16:28 pm »
That sounds fantastic :D Have fun 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #24 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:19:34 pm »
Sod it.  We've camped about half a mile down from the Flora cafe, amongst the dunes. There's nobody here and we're sitting on the beach in the fading light, eating strawberries and listening to the sea.

Bloody lovely :)

Result !  Breakfast and a bracing dip in the morning  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark