Author Topic: Post Dunwich Dynamo camping  (Read 22909 times)

Re: Post Dunwich Dynamo camping
« Reply #25 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:35:39 pm »
So... Wowbagger gets to sit out in the Suffolk evening eating strawberries with two delightful ladies.

Memo to self - grow those whiskers.

« Reply #26 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:46:38 pm »
So... Wowbagger gets to sit out in the Suffolk evening eating strawberries with two delightful ladies.

Memo to self - grow those whiskers.

It's not the whiskers...it's what he's hanging his torch from in that picture !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #27 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:55:16 pm »

Sod it.  We've camped about half a mile down from the Flora cafe, amongst the dunes. There's nobody here and we're sitting on the beach in the fading light, eating strawberries and listening to the sea.

Bloody lovely :)

Sh!t.

That sounds really awful.

I'm really jealous sorry your trip has turned out this way.

Sitting here in SE23 with windows & doors open to embrace the encroaching night.

And listening to the washing machine doing programme 5 @ 30°C.

Not really jealous.

No.

Not here.

Not me.

Bastids!

:-*

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 30 June, 2010, 09:28:51 am »
After a jolly good night's sleep, we were up at six, brewing tea (condensed milk, of course) and stretching. An hour later, the sun was nice and warm and we were skinny dipping. Bit chilly, but very, very lovely.

We're now at the Flora cafe, who usually start serving at 10am, but who have just agreed to do us a rather agreeable breakfast. The chap in the cafe reckons that camping in the dunes is absolutely fine if you're far enough away from the car park. The loos are open all night, too.

We're still going to check out the campsite nearby because there are no showers here, but who fancies a bit of (semi) wild camping? Based on last night's experience, it's a rather enticing option...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 30 June, 2010, 09:57:35 am »

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #30 on: 30 June, 2010, 10:39:48 am »
You could try Lonely Farm, just outside Saxmunden?
01728 663416

Just outside Saxmunden, other side of the A12on the road towards Peasenhall. We spent two night there last week and had a ride out to Dunwich from there. Took us about an hour  :-\

For what it's worth we were there a couple of weeks ago on our California trip - smashing site.  The four of us had a little tent each and we got charged a fiver apiece.  Recommended.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 30 June, 2010, 12:32:23 pm »
Yeah, but if people have just done the Dun Run, they're not going to want to cycle for another hour, I expect. Wow's checking out one more place, but I have to say; the dunes were damn good.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #32 on: 30 June, 2010, 12:38:45 pm »
Yeah, but if people have just done the Dun Run, they're not going to want to cycle for another hour, I expect. Wow's checking out one more place, but I have to say; the dunes were damn good.

This I understand.  My recommendation was more in a "for future reference" vein.  Ya can't know about enough good campsites  :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2010, 02:38:24 pm »
Think I just saw Wowbagger going along Vic. Ave. I had just been to the NHS occupational Health site and spotted the loaded bike and rider.
Hope you had a good time, the Lonely Farm site was as much for somewhere for you to stay last night as anything. It took us an hour, some of the milage monsters on here might be able to do it much faster, even after Dun running  :-\

« Reply #34 on: 30 June, 2010, 02:47:08 pm »

Dunes every time I reckon. Wild/stealth camping is so much more fun, not to mention cheaper.   :)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #35 on: 30 June, 2010, 03:29:58 pm »
Are the Flora's bogs open out of hours?  That would just put the salubrious cherry on the wild-camping cheeky cake.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2010, 04:40:05 pm »
If anyone wants to camp at a halfway point back to the smoke, we're just south of Sudbury and have plenty of space. PM me if you'd like to use our place - and not just on the way back from Dunwich, we're 'open' any time! These pics were taken just this weekend....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #37 on: 30 June, 2010, 04:43:00 pm »
Fookin' hell.  That looks nice.  Can we camp at the bottom of your garden on a permanent basis?  You won't know we're there - honest.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 30 June, 2010, 04:45:58 pm »
That does look good :thumbsup:

*plans trip to Sudbury* ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #39 on: 30 June, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »
The C&CC recommend 6 metres between tents and the ALC insist. This does not apply to pup tents that are solely for sleeping in.

???

I don't exactly call my tent a pup tent, but I could fit two or three of them in 6m, without much effort.

Anyway, I said I was up for a bit of Dun Run camping in another thread (the doing the Dun Run thread, whatever it's entitled), and only just noticed this one.  Please add my name to the list of nutters eccentrics.

I could live with camping on the dunes, there's always a big lump of sea that you can bathe in!

Is there any sort of supply of potable water nearby?  Failing that, any reasonably clean running water would do, I've got a water filter.
Actually, it is rocket science.

TimC

« Reply #40 on: 30 June, 2010, 05:40:51 pm »
That does look good :thumbsup:

*plans trip to Sudbury* ;D

The offer's open to anyone from YACF any time. Just let us know if you want to stop by. The area in the pictures is a water meadow, so it's liable to flooding November - March, but it's usable for the rest of the year. There're no facilities, so the offer is on a bare-site basis, but if we're at home (a rare event for me!) then obviously the house can offer water etc. The Henny Swan pub is about 50 metres up the road (or river) and, after 8 months closed, is hopefully going to reopen in July, so they will be able to provide food, beer, etc.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:02:48 pm »
Cor, that all looks rather cool, Tim! All I need for camping is a somewhere to get water. Is there an outside tap?

Andy - the dunnies at Dunwich were open all last night and there was hot water for washing and we drank from the cold taps there. We camped a 10-15 minute round trip walk from them, so a roll up water carrier or plenty if bottles would be handy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:12:39 pm »
If there's loos and water available, then I'm happy.  Beats another hour's ride, certainly.

TimC

« Reply #43 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:28:23 pm »
Cor, that all looks rather cool, Tim! All I need for camping is a somewhere to get water. Is there an outside tap?

There are a few outside taps at the house, one of which is drinking water (the others all come from a water softener, so are great for washing but not drinking). The house is across a minor road about 50 metres from the meadow gate.

On the Google maps picture linked below, the meadow is the area with the regularly-planted willows next to the river, the house is the long thin one north of the very minor east-west road leading off from the north-south road. The pub is the southernmost building in the hamlet, with its own jetty and garden on the river. The picture is about 6 or more years old, so the trees are rather more substantial than they were then.

Google Maps

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #44 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:40:06 pm »
Charlotte, you and Annie were spotted today by a remarkably handsome gentleman carrying out Bikeability training for a small group of kiddies between Melton and Woodbridge. He said hello, thinking you looked familiar.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #45 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:48:39 pm »

Andy - the dunnies at Dunwich were open all last night and there was hot water for washing and we drank from the cold taps there. We camped a 10-15 minute round trip walk from them, so a roll up water carrier or plenty if bottles would be handy.

Sounds good,  I'll leave the toilet trowel at home then...

I just wonder how many other people will have the same idea! 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 30 June, 2010, 06:55:38 pm »
Does it matter? There's an awful lot of room there.

Besides, who on earth is mad enough to do the Dun Run with full camping kit?

Auntie H - was that Mr Auntie H then?

« Reply #47 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:10:06 pm »

On the Google maps picture linked below, the meadow is the area with the regularly-planted willows next to the river, the house is the long thin one north of the very minor east-west road leading off from the north-south road. The pub is the southernmost building in the hamlet, with its own jetty and garden on the river. The picture is about 6 or more years old, so the trees are rather more substantial than they were then.

Cor! Are the trees mature enough to take a camping hammock without damage?
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

TimC

« Reply #48 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:30:10 pm »
Yes, I guess so. They're 30 or 40 ft apart, though, so you'd need a lot of string!

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #49 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:35:06 pm »
Charlotte, you and Annie were spotted today by a remarkably handsome gentleman carrying out Bikeability training for a small group of kiddies between Melton and Woodbridge. He said hello, thinking you looked familiar.

Yes, we did see them, what a jolly bunch they were too.  I am just home, somewhat sticky and rather hot after the very quick ride back from Stowmarket.  Had a bit of an issue getting on the train but all's well now.  I will write more when I can locate my brain and have consumed half my body weight in caffeine.