Author Topic: Yorkshire Wolds social daytime ride Saturday 16th October  (Read 15666 times)

Wondered if theres any interest in a ride around the beautiful Yorkshire Wolds in Mid September

dates either the 11th or 18th for ease of travelling/ trains etc, Start point and route to be agreed.

Everything is flexible at this point dependant on who's coming and whats convenient as a meeting place

details to be firmed up as we get closer to the time

Re: Yorkshire Wolds ride mid september
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »
Either of those dates would be fine, I think.

Starting closer to York - or at least within a couple hours' cycling distance - would be easiest for me, as I'll be relying on trains,

How about Millington Pastures?

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2010, 05:15:29 pm »
Sounds good. I'm easy on start place, could even start in York if it suits people.  Or Stamford Bridge or maybe Pocklington

Something like York - Beverley , or York- Driffield ( which is capital of the wolds)  or some other destination with food and beverages, :thumbsup:

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2010, 10:45:47 pm »
18th is YACF camping w/e, but might be able to do the 11th

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2010, 10:49:33 pm »
18th is already triple booked for us and we haven't decided what we're not going to do so I'd get shot if I added yet another possibility, but 11th would work if you don't mind people who are slooooooowwwwwwww.  And at least round there I probably wouldn't get lost if you dropped me on the first hill :)

« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2010, 07:10:48 am »
Looks like the 11th is the better date then!

And everyone is welcome,  speed is not an issue, when we've sorted a start place , I'll do a route that allows for a leisurely pace  and is scenic but avoids the worst of the hills.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2010, 01:00:48 pm »
I'm currently spectating from the main stand :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2010, 01:03:31 pm »
I'm currently spectating from the main stand :)

Just checked the wall planner.
I'm commited to Jaded's Thunderbox ride on the 11th so will have to pass on the Wolds.

The Mechanic

« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2010, 04:37:43 pm »
If you start from York, Stanford Bridge or Pocklingtom would can not avoid at least one mega hill as you climb Wolds escarpment. 

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2010, 04:44:56 pm »
Actually you can.  or at least break it into a few smaller bits   Pocklington to Londesborough,  a short sharp bit after Burnby, Londesborough almost to Mkt Weighton, a big dip then a reasonalble up bit, made easier cos you can get a good run at it , turning off for Goodmanham just before you get there.  Take the first right and theres a short sharp hill  and youre then on the lower Wolds above Market Weighton.  

Or you can take the road through Nunburnholme up to Warter, a bit of a climb, but the climb from Warter to North Dalton isnt that bad

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #10 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:25:39 am »
Mrs GT and I will be able to make the 11th. 

« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:42:09 am »
Mrs GT and I will be able to make the 11th. 
:thumbsup:fantastic .  I'd better organise something then ;D

« Reply #12 on: 02 August, 2010, 12:14:55 pm »
I'll have a look.

Could we still have some hills please?! How far, how fast?
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

CrinklyLion

« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »
Hills is fine.  So long as you don't mind admiring the view while you wait for me, if I come along....  ;D

And if I do come along I shall be very very certain to check my brakes thoroughly before setting off! 

« Reply #14 on: 02 August, 2010, 02:43:58 pm »
I'll have a look.

Could we still have some hills please?! How far, how fast?

For you Frenchie, anything!

Its going to be a social ride, have a few ideas which I'll post soon.   I cant avoid hills, so I'll include some that give a good view, but most of it will be rolling rather than hilly, I think.  I need to work on a decent food stop but would have though 40-50 miles max

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2010, 09:09:17 pm »
I might be interested in this.  A start point around York would suit me.  We did some riding last summer in the Wolds.  Wouldn't mind revisiting. 

If it's anything like the Keep to the Roads ride I'll definitely be up for it.  I only have two questions:

1) Will there be cake?
2) Are we off to the pub?
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

« Reply #16 on: 02 August, 2010, 09:33:50 pm »
Looks like a York start (or at least rendezvous) is on the cards. Its a nice easy ride out to Stamford Bridge or Pocklington anyway, which is where I'll probably meet up.  From there I can fit in as many hills cafes pubs and food as is required. Plus a bit of bike riding ;D

My thoughts are head for Market Weighton, then  a nice easy ride across towards Etton, Head up towards  Driffield  up through Garton to Sledmere   where theres a nice pub, or a cafe at Sledmere hall.

Then across towards Birdsall,  down to Thixendale ( nice pub and a lovely ride down the valley) , to Huggate ( another nice pub) then back past Millington woods to Pocklington and back on the flat lands again!

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2010, 09:19:27 am »
Might join you on this one. I live in Westow just over Leavening Brow from Thixendale. The other pub to consider for a stop would be The Stone Trough at Kirkham. If its a nice day and you can sit outside it has a great view over the Derwent valley .
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2010, 11:46:32 am »
If it's anything like the Keep to the Roads ride I'll definitely be up for it.  I only have two questions:

1) Will there be cake?

You rang?

2) Are we off to the pub?

Hmmm.... what are the odds?

« Reply #19 on: 04 August, 2010, 04:45:02 pm »
Might join you on this one. I live in Westow just over Leavening Brow from Thixendale. The other pub to consider for a stop would be The Stone Trough at Kirkham. If its a nice day and you can sit outside it has a great view over the Derwent valley .

Thats a good idea :thumbsup:  And it would be good to meet you Pat

LindaG

« Reply #20 on: 13 August, 2010, 10:02:38 am »
Are we still on for this?

« Reply #21 on: 13 August, 2010, 01:54:22 pm »
This is confusing.

I thought there was a probably fnrttc on the 17th, going through some of the country you've mentioned.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #22 on: 13 August, 2010, 01:57:37 pm »
I'd like to come along if I may?  :)

LindaG

« Reply #23 on: 13 August, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »
This is confusing.

I thought there was a probably fnrttc on the 17th, going through some of the country you've mentioned.

Exactly.  I am confused.   ???

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2010, 02:02:17 pm »
Looks like the 11th is the better date then!

This is confusing.

The Wolds Ride,ie this thread is for the 11th Sept AIUI

The fnrttc is the following weekend,the 17th Sept.

HTH