Author Topic: Yorkshire Wolds social daytime ride Saturday 16th October  (Read 15663 times)

Re: Yorkshire Wolds social daytime ride Saturday postponed
« Reply #50 on: 13 September, 2010, 08:31:47 am »
Don't plan on any climbing afterwards though :)

Its all downhill from there( or can be!) ;D

Not back to my house it isn't. Leavening brow is between me and Huggate :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #51 on: 13 September, 2010, 04:30:14 pm »
Don't plan on any climbing afterwards though :)

Its all downhill from there( or can be!) ;D

Not back to my house it isn't. Leavening brow is between me and Huggate :)

Yes, but if you head home from Huggate you can freewheel all the way ;D

« Reply #52 on: 13 September, 2010, 04:35:21 pm »
Having inspected diary for a suitable date  I've come up with the 16th October. Start around 10.00am from Stamford Bridge  Planned route is about 40 miles  and includes hills.  It also includes my favourite bit of road, right past this http://www.hockneypictures.com/works_paintings_00_18-2.php  ( except theyve been cut down now :(,   , lunch stop planned at Huggate, then DOWN  Leavening brow  (just for Pat) and back to Stamford bridge

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Yorkshire Wolds ride mid september
« Reply #53 on: 13 September, 2010, 05:12:45 pm »
I'm currently spectating from the main stand :)

I'm afraid I can't do the revised date either.It clashes with my October RRTY ride arrangements.

Re: Yorkshire Wolds ride mid september
« Reply #54 on: 13 September, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »
I'm currently spectating from the main stand :)

I'm afraid I can't do the revised date either.It clashes with my October RRTY ride arrangements.

You just don't want to see the hills ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Yorkshire Wolds social daytime ride Saturday 16th October
« Reply #55 on: 13 September, 2010, 05:25:46 pm »
 ;D
There will be hills where I'm going.
There's always hills in Wales
And rain
 ::-)

« Reply #56 on: 19 September, 2010, 06:58:21 pm »
Can you pencil me in for this please? I've started negotiating my pass out for the day by opening another bottle of wine; just waiting until the bottle is 3/4 empty before I slip a small request into the conversation.

Have you any idea what sort of time I might make it back to York? I need to book a train but I'll not make it to early this time so I don't have to shoot off and leave you all at the end (a la Scarborough)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #57 on: 19 September, 2010, 07:27:02 pm »
Aidan, what are the realistic chances of your knee being better and you still being up for leading this?

« Reply #58 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »
Aidan, what are the realistic chances of your knee being better and you still being up for leading this?

No idea ???   But judging by progress so far, I'd say reasonably good.   I'll be resting it for a week or two idf I need to, then seeing how I go.

I've the Brompton World championships on the 4th October ( which I've paid to enter, so as a Yorkshireman , I feel obliged not to waste my money ;D)

I've also got an entry into Gerrys Autumn Brevet the week after , which I'd really like to do as well.

I reckon it'll be ok.  I think I'd set it off doing alot of crouching and squatting around the toilet  doing some plumbing work on Wednesday and  Thursday. so rest and some exercises from the physio should get it back in shape in time. Hopefully.

« Reply #59 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:08:34 pm »
Can you pencil me in for this please? I've started negotiating my pass out for the day by opening another bottle of wine; just waiting until the bottle is 3/4 empty before I slip a small request into the conversation.

Have you any idea what sort of time I might make it back to York? I need to book a train but I'll not make it to early this time so I don't have to shoot off and leave you all at the end (a la Scarborough)

Not going to be a late one. Start at ten , ride for a couple of hours, have lunch, ride back for a couple of hours, should be back in Stamford bridge for 2.30- 3.00ish depending on how long lunch takes.

« Reply #60 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:14:23 pm »
I think I'm free for this, if I may join in - I'll be able to ride out from York and back again.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #61 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:17:37 pm »
I'm up for this building work permitting.

« Reply #62 on: 20 September, 2010, 12:49:21 pm »
I think I'm free for this, if I may join in - I'll be able to ride out from York and back again.

If you are, may I beg a navigator from the station area to Stamford Bridge. Some years ago I left from York station on a trip to ? (can't remember) and I ended up thinking that York was an awful lot bigger than I remembered. An hour later I passed the station again...

« Reply #63 on: 26 September, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »

If you are, may I beg a navigator from the station area to Stamford Bridge. Some years ago I left from York station on a trip to ? (can't remember) and I ended up thinking that York was an awful lot bigger than I remembered. An hour later I passed the station again...

Oh poo.  Sorry, I've realised the date clashes with a weekend away, so I'll have to drop out.

If it's any help I can recommend a route to Stamford Bridge if you like. Alternatively, if CrinklyLion is going, she might be able to help.

« Reply #64 on: 26 September, 2010, 09:19:01 pm »

Oh poo.  Sorry, I've realised the date clashes with a weekend away, so I'll have to drop out.

If it's any help I can recommend a route to Stamford Bridge if you like. Alternatively, if CrinklyLion is going, she might be able to help.

Shame :(       And my knees gonna be better in time too :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

« Reply #65 on: 26 September, 2010, 11:16:26 pm »
I think I should be able to make it, so can lead a very leisurely feeder ride from York station if required :)

Do we have a route yet?  If it's going via Pock on the way out, the eldest cub (and possibly even the littly in the baby seat, with their dad!) might be up for joining us as far as that, so long as people are happy with a fairly gentle pace....

« Reply #66 on: 27 September, 2010, 07:19:33 am »
Proposed route

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.956894,-0.721664&spn=0.267055,0.727158&z=11&layer=t&msid=106994678088930453630.0004913789aec00a32559

42 miles or so, Starting from Car Park in Stamford bridge some hills, mainly in the first half, second half mainly downhill (apart from the uppity bits)   Lunch at the pub in Huggate,  chance of coffee cake etc at Pock and Thixendale.  Plenty of options in Stamford Bridge for an after ride coffee/drink/ snack for those not rushing away

« Reply #67 on: 27 September, 2010, 06:32:59 pm »

Oh poo.  Sorry, I've realised the date clashes with a weekend away, so I'll have to drop out.

Shame :(       And my knees gonna be better in time too :thumbsup:

Hoorah for your knee!  It's a shame, but I'll be up at Wooler for a weekend of cycling, beer and takeaways.  Hopefully we can repeat the ride some time?

« Reply #68 on: 27 September, 2010, 07:46:37 pm »
thanks for that! Knee is definitely on the mend, although + think the first real test will be The Hill on the Brommie world championship course which could result in spectacular Fail!

i,m more than happy to keep arranging rides , theres lots of good riding round here!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #69 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »
If it's any help I can recommend a route to Stamford Bridge
The A166?

Slowcoach, go round the inner ring road (either way) until you reach the A1079, follow the A1079 to the double roundabout where you follow signs for the A166, ride along that for 5 miles until you reach Stamford Bridge.  Simples!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #70 on: 27 September, 2010, 08:46:57 pm »
Yebbut, he's been that way already :)

The A166 gets you there, but going the Arch route (Murton, Warthill, Gate Helmsley I do believe) gets you there with a smile.

« Reply #71 on: 27 September, 2010, 10:24:56 pm »
Yebbut, he's been that way already :)

The A166 gets you there, but going the Arch route (Murton, Warthill, Gate Helmsley I do believe) gets you there with a smile.

Indeed. I wouldn't ride the A166 except after midnight! 

I would say, find the A1079*, follow it up to the big B and Q, (just past the roundabout with the garage with Daleks on the roof). Go left at the lights after B and Q, and follow the road when it jinks right. That road takes you to Murton. At the T, turn left, and follow the road as it twists.  At the next T go left, and then at the next again, right. This takes you through Stockton on the Forest (a long village), to another T - turn right. After a little way, you'll come to a left turn (I think signposted Gate Helmsley), take that, it'll take you up over a teeny hill, and down to another T - turn right here, and it takes you to the A166, where you turn left.  I always use the cycle path beside the road at this point - you may be braver. Once past the Balloon Tree farmshop you need to cross the road, and get onto the path on the other side, which takes you away from the road, and eventually over the viaduct. Once you get to the road again, turn left, and follow the road into Stamford Bridge.

*most scenically, the way we took last Friday:

Out of station, turn left, straight on at next lights. Under the walls, over the lights and hard left straight away, through a cycle-only cut (in front of the Maltings pub) and then right (IE not back under the bridge). This gets you onto a quiet road. Straight on at the next lights, and when you get to just before Skeldergate Bridge, take the left fork onto the riverside path.

When you get to the Millennium Bridge, cross the river, and turn right. Follow the path when it turns to the left, and go straight on, signposted Broadway.  Up to the road, and straight on at the lights.  Left at the mini-RAB, then straight ahead at the next RAB, and then straight on again, bringing you to the big RAB at the Dalek garage.  Go right, and then left after B and Q, to follow route as above.

Thinking about it, the easiest way to get to the A1079 is to go left out of station, follow my route above to Skeldergate Bridge, but don't go left to the river, follow the road, and turn left onto the bridge.  Over the bridge, go straight on, and then just follow the road.  Once past the Barbican (big, now defunct leisure centre), get over to the right hand lane, and the A1079 is the right turn with a chippie facing you on the corner. (opposite the big stone barbican of Walmgate Bar).

Is that all just confusing?  It's getting late, but I'll try and draw a map tomorrow...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #72 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:15:23 am »
Arch, don't worry about it too much-as I say, I should be up for this one and can find a suitably wiggly route. And I'll try not to be late to the station this time!

« Reply #73 on: 28 September, 2010, 09:25:36 am »
Instead of coming on to the 166 by the Balloon Tree you can continue on toward Buttercrambe and just as you hit the woods turn right. It brings you out by the bridge in Stamford Bridge. Basically you turn left at the T where Arch says to turn right then take the next right.

« Reply #74 on: 28 September, 2010, 06:23:15 pm »
Instead of coming on to the 166 by the Balloon Tree you can continue on toward Buttercrambe and just as you hit the woods turn right. It brings you out by the bridge in Stamford Bridge. Basically you turn left at the T where Arch says to turn right then take the next right.

Oh yes, of course you can.  For some reason I never go that way. Stamford Bridge is one of those places I can never quite get my head round - the river never seems to be in quite the right place. I joined a ride once, led by someone else, and they went out of SB a different way, and I just followed, and I was astonished when we end up on that road to Gate Helmsley.

CrinklyLion - make it a very wiggly road, we don't want Slowcoach working out where he is, do we?  As you know, if you've got time, the Holtby/Warthill way is even wigglier ;)

Oh, and thanks for the cake earlier  :).  My colleague and I debated sharing it with the other two back at the centre, but sense prevailed and we snaffled it down the Chaucer Street back alley.  It was lovely!   :thumbsup: 

Digressing a little, that A166 seems impossible to cross sometimes, but you are pretty much guaranteed a break in the traffic coming out of SB eventually, because of the lights at the bridge itself.  You just hope there's a gap the other way at the same time!