Author Topic: BHF London to Brighton  (Read 13380 times)

Re: BHF London to Brighton
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:46:44 pm »
The more people the higher the levels of fuckwittery and numptyishness.

I'm sure that if L2C, or any other ride, had that many people riding I'd find it just as horrible.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:50:20 pm »
Soooo much negativity, it's really very disappointing when the event itself is so much fun for so many people including me.  Perhaps the popularity is what many people have against it, in an anything the masses like must be bad way.

I don't go posting on all the FNRTTC topics what a pile of poo I think they are, just because they are not my preferred type of riding.  Not that I do, but the principle is the same.

I know that people do enjoy it, and I'm pleased for them.

For me, it's the volume of people and their riding style that has put me off all these rides.  There is no fun in being in constant fear of being wiped out and riding on the brakes the whole way with the body locked up with tension.

The Dun Run is now big enough that I won't ride it.

« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
Just because *you* aren't comfortable and don't feel safe riding in crowds, doesn't mean that others aren't.  It's a big social ride, and the enjoyment, or lack thereof, comes from your own personal mindset and riding approach.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 06 June, 2008, 02:59:45 pm »
It's the massive crowds I don't like, which make cycling up the hills very hard. I think the point made above about inexperienced cyclists on technically difficult descents is a contributory factor. The deciding factor for me was a guy shortly after Ditchling who left most of his face in the road. I didn't see what happened but I saw the aftermath. It was a very nasty sight and I've never forgotten it even 20+ years later.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #29 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:02:38 pm »
Well, the plan for the third year in a row, is for hatlers en famille (two MTBs and two trailer bikes) to join the madding throng three or four miles north of Ditchling, proceed Southerly until we crest the Beacon, and then peel off left to bounce along the top of the Downs for a mile or so, then left again to get to where our beds are.

The truly amazing thing is how quickly one feels completely alone after turning left at the top. Hundreds of people, blaring PA systems, ice-cream vans, tea huts, burger bars, etc etc.  And within five minutes it's all a distant memory.

For the children, seeing and being a part of so many thousands of other cyclists is very exciting, and one they look forward to all year.

There was a half-plan to join the ride on the outskirts of London, but the logistics have defeated us, so will have to make do with just a few miles.

PS  I'm not intending to serve up coffee at the greenhouses !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #30 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:05:12 pm »
My wife and I have paid the extortionate £30 (each) entry fee and are signed up to do it, but whether we will or not is doubtful as we can't work out how to get back without spending a fortune.

We did the London to Cambridge last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, but the transport was pretty much sorted out for us at zero expense. We're planning on doing the L2B on a tandem which won't fit in our car, so we're looking at at least £80 travel expenses and a very long day.

If it doesn't work out I won't be too bothered, as then we could join in with the Zombocalypse ride on the Friday night, which would be loads cheaper, easier to get to and from, and looks like it would be more fun anyway :)

Martin

« Reply #31 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:16:31 pm »
Soooo much negativity, it's really very disappointing when the event itself is so much fun for so many people including me. 

+1 for that BM; it's not a challenge for many of the people on here; it's not good value, it's onconvenient to get to the start and from the finish, and it's a bit dodgy in places;

But it's damned enjoyable; and no other ride comes close to it for atmosphere and enjoyment. Imagine what it's like for the irregular cyclist.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #32 on: 06 June, 2008, 03:52:06 pm »
I've done the BHF L2B three times in recent years, and thoroughly enjoyed it each time.

It seems to me the secret is not to treat it like any other ride, but go with the (slow) flow and enjoy the spectacle of 35,000 people out on bikes. Sure, there's more than a degree of numptiness, but it's great to see so many people out of their comfort zone and doing something they regard as a bit of an adventure. If you talk to them nicely, they might even end up becoming proper cyclists!

I reckon a few beers on the way, the odd bacon sarnie, a couple of walks up hills 'cos it's so crowded, and a picnic on Brighton beach afterwards just makes for a nice day out. Getting home? Either ride back that day or stay overnight  - Brighton's a fun place.

Don't take it seriously, just enjoy it.

« Reply #33 on: 06 June, 2008, 04:08:21 pm »
I'm with you on that, Tim and Martin, and sorry for my grumpiness about the negativity to the rest of you.

« Reply #34 on: 06 June, 2008, 09:35:33 pm »
If it doesn't work out I won't be too bothered, as then we could join in with the Zombocalypse ride on the Friday night, which would be loads cheaper, easier to get to and from, and looks like it would be more fun anyway :)

Yay! :thumbsup:  Run away (actually cycle away) from the Zombies, you know you want to. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #35 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:23:38 pm »
I'm with you on that, Tim and Martin, and sorry for my grumpiness about the negativity to the rest of you.

No probs BM.   If I was to ride it I might enjoy it, and I'd treat it as per TimC.  Unfortunately, having been nearly wiped out twice before on this type of ride (e.g. was going happily with the flow when numpty pulled a U-Turn into me) I am no longer able to go with the flow and enjoy the cycling.

« Reply #36 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:35:51 pm »
I've done the BHF L2B three times in recent years, and thoroughly enjoyed it each time.

It seems to me the secret is not to treat it like any other ride, but go with the (slow) flow and enjoy the spectacle of 35,000 people out on bikes. Sure, there's more than a degree of numptiness, but it's great to see so many people out of their comfort zone and doing something they regard as a bit of an adventure. If you talk to them nicely, they might even end up becoming proper cyclists!

I reckon a few beers on the way, the odd bacon sarnie, a couple of walks up hills 'cos it's so crowded, and a picnic on Brighton beach afterwards just makes for a nice day out. Getting home? Either ride back that day or stay overnight  - Brighton's a fun place.

Don't take it seriously, just enjoy it.

Totally agree!

Mikey... I'll be there with Bob and Russell and hopefully Cheryl and co for the rubdowns on the sea-front (actually I owe her a call to book us all in!).

You  nmeed a different approach for L2B, relax, enjoy the spectacle, help the numpties, encourage the brave/foolhardy, take your time, buy tea, cakes, burgers, chat, feel the love.

It'll be something like my 15th since 1983, and I have probably done at least 10 consecutively. I love it, it's a day out... not a training-run, just fun on a bike.

« Reply #37 on: 14 June, 2008, 01:05:46 pm »

No probs BM.   If I was to ride it I might enjoy it, and I'd treat it as per TimC.  Unfortunately, having been nearly wiped out twice before on this type of ride (e.g. was going happily with the flow when numpty pulled a U-Turn into me) I am no longer able to go with the flow and enjoy the cycling.

Prefer your injuries to be self inflicted?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #38 on: 14 June, 2008, 01:42:33 pm »
I am intending to do it. I will load up with bits and innertubes etc to help any unfortunates en route and am looking to have as relaxed a day as I can. I am going to ride this

It weighs 17kg, which is near enough double the weight of my Langster, so Ditchling could be a bit of a challenge. For the bike it will be a one way trip.

Martin

« Reply #39 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:15:23 pm »
I just rode the route following the signs half way to get home; they've diverted it again after the M25; apart from that very dull; just goes to show it's not the ride it's the riders and bystanders that make it.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #40 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:18:29 pm »
I am going to ride this

It weighs 17kg, which is near enough double the weight of my Langster, so Ditchling could be a bit of a challenge. For the bike it will be a one way trip.
Heh.  Return transport problems solved.

Are you riding it to Brighton tip, or actually passing on to someone else?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #41 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:25:14 pm »
I could pass it on to someone I know who really could use a bike to get to work but I am dubious about inflicting it on him because it is really not right. The bottom bracket spindle is slightly bent. The seat pin is stuck in the seat tube (fortunately at a hight I can live with). On the inner chainring the front mech rubs on the tyre, etc etc.

I was thinking of setting it free at the station with a note "free to a new home, good bad or indifferent"

« Reply #42 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:56:05 pm »
I'm planning to wave at the LtoB as they go along Garratt lane :). I'll either be sitting on the wall outside my flat or in Rosie Lee's (excellent :thumbsup:) cafe for breakfast. I did see some riders who only got as far as Rosie Lee's last year before stopping for a break. :) Clarion may join in some of this activity. 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #43 on: 14 June, 2008, 09:59:19 pm »

For reasons which somehow escape me, I salute you for doing it like this.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 15 June, 2008, 02:43:28 pm »
Fail.  Sick with a cold and a temperature.

« Reply #45 on: 15 June, 2008, 04:28:49 pm »
Poor you Mikey. :( I/we stood outside and saw loads of skaters go past, in with the thousands of cyclists :D. Everyone seemed to being fairly sensible and having great fun. (One or two seemed to be stuggling more than was reasonable after 2 miles or so - one seemed to have had his seat nicked :o. It was fab to see so many cyclists on so many different machines. The earlier ones in particular were almost silent - thousands of people passing in silence- such a contrast to the normal noise of traffic :thumbsup:.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #46 on: 15 June, 2008, 04:48:18 pm »
Butterfly was that you sitting on a wall by yourself in an ACF jersey?

If it was - I shouted 'ACF'  - when I saw the jersey. I was in a Black Buccaneers t-shirt passing you about 6.50.

Anyway what a hoot! First time to Brighton in daylight!

Not as many numpty riders as I was lead to believe - yes there were out on the road but the majority of riders were polite, sensible and having a good time.

Did see one rider pulling himself out of a hedge on a hill but he did seem ok.

The organisation seemed pretty good, lots of marshals, first aiders and plenty of food stations and the buses back arrived at the same time as the wagon, all pretty painless.

Will I do it again next year? Maybe...

Sorry to hear you were crock BentMikey - I did ask after you with a group of skaters outside Clapham South Tube station - unfortunately they hadn't seen you - now I know why.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #47 on: 15 June, 2008, 05:53:36 pm »
My mate Rob did this ride today. He was taking part in it after being asked to raise sponsorship by his company although I think I can say that the cause is something quite literally close to his heart.

Rob hasn't been really near a bike since he gave up Triathlons years ago but this event has inspired him to buy a road bike and try to get fit again. It has also meant that he and I have had some fine days (and nights) out on the bike which means we have something in common again since neither of us are fit enough or have the time to do the sort of mountaineering stuff we used to do together.

After he had done the IOW Randonnee this year, I suppose this ride wasn't ever really going to be a 'challenge' for him either.

That didn't stop him from really enjoying the event and he has asked me to join him next year as he fully intends to ride it again. Having never done anything like this before, he found the whole atmosphere and sociable aspect of the event an unexpected bonus. He was impressed with the level of organisation and inspired by the sheer determination to finish of those taking part on the much scorned "numpties on Halfords MTBs" etc.

I have never ridden the event before as I have been put off by the horror stories of others. However, seeing the sense of achievement on the faces of riders at the finishing line has challenged me to think again.

Plus, Rob has said that next year we will be stopping at a number pubs that he noted on the way through.

Well done to all that took part and raised all that cash.

H

P.S. Rob thinks that you skaters wot did it are all mad buggers. I am inclined to agree.  ;D

Maladict

« Reply #48 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:04:59 pm »
I have to say I enjoyed the event the one time I did it.  I only had to walk one hill (not due to lack of fitness on my part!) but I got up Ditchling Beacon fine, even if I was forced to do so at 3mph.

I haven't done it since as it's a bugger to get to from Cambridge.  At the time I worked from Cadence, and the company had a team and laid on a coach from the Bracknell office, so I travelled down there the night before and stayed in a (shit) B&B to take advantage of their coach.  Originally I'd planned to stay a second night in the B&B but it was so crap I just drove straight back home once I got back there.

London to Cambridge has been my regular event and we ride down to the start from Cambridge to make it a little more interesting... I was doing this for years before I did my first 200.  :)  The last time I did that was in 2006, I probably won't be doing it this year as it's bound to clash with some Audax or other.  Did the Oxford->Cambridge once, that's nice, but a bit longer.

For real madness you need my club mate and ex colleague, Nick Jackson.  He used to ride down to Watford beforehand to stay with his parents, then ride to the start of the L->B from there in the morning, ride the event, and then ride back to Cambridge from the finish.  Of course now I've got a couple of 600s and PBP under my belt it doesn't seem quite so lunatic as it did back then!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #49 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:02:22 pm »
I'd love to see (hear?) beatrix do the ride. Pumpng cool music all the way to the coast. Probably best towed behind a tandem though..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes