Author Topic: East to West 2011  (Read 24319 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
East to West 2011
« on: 13 November, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »
I'm planning a Lowestoft - Ardnamurchan tour, probably for April next year.

I reckon most days should be between 45 and 50 miles. We'll be B & Bing and will be on the tandem.

So far I've used bikehike to plan the days and it comes to 14. I've tried to sort out a route through Glasgow, but have considered what we did for LEJOG, and that is get the ferry to Arran and back onto Kintyre, and then follow the west coast.

Questions:

1. What's it like cycling through Glasgow?

2. What about the A82 alongside Loch Lomond? The Landranger map shows a fair bit of cycleway. Is this OK to ride or is it just crap?

3. What about Glencoe? Is it a fantastic ride or is the road horribly busy?

I'm sure I will come up with more questions.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

Re: East to West 2011
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2010, 12:12:17 am »
I think we are approximately 40 miles into the route from Lowestoft. You will be welcome to stop here for a night if it works out.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2010, 12:22:19 am »
I think we are approximately 40 miles into the route from Lowestoft. You will be welcome to stop here for a night if it works out.

Thanks Chris, but I won't hold you to that: there may be 5 of us... ;D

« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2010, 12:36:54 am »
My take on the Glen Coe area.

I went both ways through Rannock Moor-Glen Coe from the Bridge of Orcy to Ballachulish on my Scotish tour last year
North in May and back South in June.
Its a fast road but no real sharp corners/blind bends so ok.
Both times where early in the day and mid week so missed the worst of the tourist traffic.

The road from Ballachulish around to Oban also was not to bad.
A few bad bends etc, but not a busy as the road through Glen Coe.
Plus you can get onto a cycle way for part of it.

The road from the Corren ferry to Ballachulish is narrow and twisty so not good for cycling.

Hope that helps.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:27:57 am »
I rode out of Glasgow up to Arrochar with my daughter a few years back- they had not quite finished the Glasgow end of the cycle route and we ended up riding a mile or so through some bits of Glasgow I would rather not have visited- but I think we got lost a few times and there was a distinct lack of signs and places where the map indicated route was blocked by building work.  I have been informed that the Glasgow end since is mightily improved- might be worth checking with a cycle forum based there- I only know of GFGSS, but I could check with my daughter once she is back down from the mountains next week.  (Although I'm betting a YACFer will post from there sooner or later). I remember the next bit of the route being fine, through Dumbarton then alongside the Leven up to Balloch and then on to Luss- after Luss (if my memory serves) it becomes a track right alongside the A82- safe and functional but not pleasant.  We were not enjoying the ride at all from here (our original plan had been to head for Crianlarich ) too many huge trucks whizzing past- (the noise of them was phenomenal and sudden because of a massive headwind) so we bailed and took the train from Arrochar and Tarbet.  I don't know if the cycle track carries on alongside the main road after this or if you have to use the road.
I would agree with Tigerbiten about time of day.  I have ridden the A82 all its length at different times- early morning it's a great road to ride, little traffic, easy to anticipate the arrival of the occasional big container lorry and awe-inspiring views.  Other times, when it's been busy with lots of large trucks, I haven't been able to enjoy it so much- it's just been a means of getting from A-B.  If it were me, I'd stop overnight in Arrochar- start really early next day and head north taking a detour up Glen Orchy (yes it's out of your way but it's such a pretty road and so quiet) and then stay in Bridge of Orchy area for another night (that would be about 40 miles).  Up again next morning early and head for the Corran ferry.  
However your Arran Kintyre idea is also a good one.  You could do some real island hopping and go from Kintyre to Islay then Colonsay and up to Oban that way.  I am planning something like that for next summer's trip (Dungeness to Durness).

As for cycling through Glasgow- well,  my daughter reckons it's easier and less pressured than London- however there are lots of one ways as I recall and the couple of times I have done it, I did get lost although still managed to get to my destination eventually. Depending on when you are travelling, it might be possible for me to get Frances to guide you through the city.  

It's a great trip you are planning, have fun.

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2010, 08:41:53 am »
I did this as part of a longer tour. The write up I did for the Fell Club mag is here: E2W

I went up through Edinburgh, mainly because I thought it a better route. I didn't find it to be a problem.

I love the road from Tydnrum to Glencoe, one of the most scenic roads in Scotland, it can be busy but well worth doing.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2010, 09:10:45 am »
I've ridden this exact section both ways as part of JOGLE & LEJOG - my comments to your questions:

1. What's it like cycling through Glasgow?

If you arrive at Glasgow from the Lanark/Hamilton direction there is a very well-signposted route right the way across the city on paths and the river promenade to an old railway line and then the canal to Balloch at the bottom of Loch Lomond.  No problem to do it all on a tandem, wide smooth tarmac virtually the whole way. That then gets you to Q2 ....

2. What about the A82 alongside Loch Lomond? The Landranger map shows a fair bit of cycleway. Is this OK to ride or is it just crap?

The first few miles to about Luss are on a cyclepath beside the road ... again no problems although a few narrow bits.   The A82 beside the loch is no problem (I rode N-S on a Sunday and S-N on, I think, a Tuesday.  Less traffic on the Tuesday (and more considerate drivers, not rubber-necking tourists)    Make sure you stop at the station cafe at Crianlarich.

3. What about Glencoe? Is it a fantastic ride or is the road horribly busy?

Again, no big deal with traffic - the road is pretty wide most of the way with few sharp bends .... but there are some long drags before the reward of the massively fast drop from the pass of Glencoe down to sea level again.   There are some great views but Rannoch Moor is pretty barren - make sure you stock up at Tyndrum (at The Green Welly Stop) as there's only a pub at Bridge of Orchy all the way to the N side of Glencoe.

If you want a detailed map (as a pdf extract) of the cross-Glasgow bit drop me a pm and I'll send it.

... and the bit from the Corran Ferry to Ardnamurchan is great (have to confess I haven't ridden it, just driven).   From Ardnamurchan you can go back to Fort William on the west side of the sea loch .. you may even see the FW to Mallaig train go by!

Rob

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2010, 11:26:05 am »
I came back from NW Scotland that way last year.
I deliberately loitered in a restaurant in Glencoe until late evening and the traffic died down, then went straight down the A82 and through Glasgow as an all night ride. It was a good ride. It's not much fun when it's busy though. Rannoch Moor was always one of the worst parts of AUK's daylight 600 because of impatient drivers. Early morning, it'd be great.
I'd either avoid it or put up with it. If I wasn't in so much of a rush, the cycle track might be more fun.

Plenty of eateries along Loch Lomond though.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2010, 12:10:57 pm »

No problemo  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2010, 11:35:45 pm »

Is that a "No problemo" as in putting 5 people up is no problem?  :o

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2010, 11:41:37 pm »
I've been playing with bikehike.

Lowestoft-Shipdham
Shipdham-Holbeach
Holbeach-Lincoln
Lincoln-Moss
Moss-Harrogate
Harrogate-Hawes
Hawes-Kirkoswald
Kirkoswald-Dumfries
Dumfries-Ayr
Ayr-Ardrossan
Arran
Claonaig-Kilmartin
Kilmartin-Portnacroish
Portnacroish-Salen
Salen-Ardnamurchan
Salen-Fort William

shows what I have in mind. 700.97 miles in total.

We may even set off in late March. The school term lends itself to that and we can therefore get it all over and done with before the Easter weekend (Good Friday's 22nd April).

Our pal Jeff has expressed a preference for avoiding Glasgow, so we'll hop via Arran again, like we did when doing LEJOG. That adds a day to the ride.

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 15 November, 2010, 12:33:03 am »

Is that a "No problemo" as in putting 5 people up is no problem?  :o

Should be fine - we have loads of room.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 15 November, 2010, 12:39:25 am »
You could go via Bute as an alternative way of avoiding Glasgow. Maybe followed by the ferry from Portavadie across Loch Fyne.
Or the Gourock to Dunoon ferry, then head for Inveraray etc?

« Reply #13 on: 28 December, 2010, 01:15:23 pm »
Bikepacker did what he called the "Extreme East to Extreme West". You could follow his route.

http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/reports/e2w.htm
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!

« Reply #14 on: 30 December, 2010, 09:18:24 pm »
Or the Gourock to Dunoon ferry, then head for Inveraray etc?

That's what I did this autumn for my (aborted at Durness) "UK Grand Tour". http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=38145.0

Wowbagger, if you do that and need accommodation in Gourock BOOK IN ADVANCE! It is extraordinarily difficult to find anywhere.

I have cycled through Glasgow on a LEJOG that I did with a company called Bike Adventures...it was quite horrible, cycle paths littered with glass. The route went along the river for a lot of the way. There are probably much better routes.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #15 on: 31 December, 2010, 08:03:09 am »
Just reread this Wow- I may well nick some of your route plans from Lincoln to SW Scotland for my trip- it looks a bit better than my initial ideas.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #16 on: 06 January, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »
Just looked at your route between Harrogate and Hawes. You have plotted a route that takes you via Pateley Bridge and Greenhow Hill!   You also plan to take on Fleet Moss as well, so loads of climbing for you on that day.  Would you like an easier route which will be just as scenic?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:17:03 pm »
Just looked at your route between Harrogate and Hawes. You have plotted a route that takes you via Pateley Bridge and Greenhow Hill!   You also plan to take on Fleet Moss as well, so loads of climbing for you on that day.  Would you like an easier route which will be just as scenic?

Yes please!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:27:48 pm »
I can highly recommend the Crown Hotel in Hawes as a place to stay - the Cub and I had a great night, a fab dinner and a very very good breakfast there on out adventure.  Don't know about your route at all - we rode through Ripon to Bedale so that we could catch a steam train to Redmire then ride to Hawes - lovely day's riding :)

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #19 on: 11 January, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »
Harrogate to Hawes.
I have created a couple of routes for you on bike hike.
(The links are to bikely, as I could not work out to save them on bikehike.)
The first one is the most direct.
This one is the one I would recommend.
It has a detour away from the B6265 to drop down to Wharfedale to go through Appletreewick. It also drops down one of my favourite dales - Skyredale. I think a couple of extra miles will be worth it.
The recommended route has a little detour to my favourite cafe, The Wharfe View Cafe in Burnsall, but there are good cafes to be found at Stump Cross Caverns, Grassington (Main Str), Kettlewell (Zafira's - Middle lane) and Buckden.
Appletreewick has a good pub, as does Kettlewell, Starbottom and Buckden.

Take care descending Fleet Moss into Hawes. It is a very fast descent.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 01 March, 2011, 02:49:01 pm »
This ride is beginning to worry me. Everything's booked except riding fitness. Mrs. Wow won't go out on her own and I've had sciatica for over a week. We set off in 30 days...  :(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »
Still no cycling, but we have a plan B.

We take the car, stay at the B & Bs, carry the luggage and make sure we have a decent walk every day.

We are still hoping to cycle, but at least we will still get the holiday.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #22 on: 08 March, 2011, 07:05:40 pm »
That's not a bad halfway house, if the cycling is still a non-starter.  Whereabouts are you staying up near our neck of the woods?  Maybe I could come and find you one day.  With CAKE!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 29 March, 2011, 12:03:36 am »
Lowestoft-ChrisS 31/3, 48.47 miles
ChrisS-Holbeach 1/4, 47.24
Holbeach-Lincoln 2/4, 50.3
Lincoln-Moss 3/4, 50.2
Moss-Harrogate 4/4, 45.91
Harrogate-Hawes 5/4, 48.5
Hawes-Kirkoswald 6/4, 44.4
Kirkoswald-Dumfries 7/4, 51.15
Dumfries-Ayr 8/4, 55.81
Ayr-Ardrossan 9/4, 22.7
Arran 9/4, 14.7
Claonaig-Kilmartin 10/4, 31.22
Kilmartin-Oban 11/4, 29.15
Mull 12/4, 20.6
Kilchoan-Salen 13/4, 32.2
Salen-Fort William 14/4, 32.9

Train home on 15/4.

« Reply #24 on: 29 March, 2011, 12:07:31 am »
No shortage of hills on day 6 :o

On day 7, I'd go over Mallerstang rather than Buttertubs and Birkdale.