Author Topic: FNRtSR ideas  (Read 9855 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
FNRtSR ideas
« on: 11 March, 2011, 09:13:15 am »
As the days are drawing out and other night rides are getting organised, maybe it's about time we started the northern ones again?

I would vote for a reprise of the Scarborough ride to start the year, with obligatory wheel dipping/paddling in the North Sea :)

Any agreement/other ideas?

Late April/Early May would probably be a good time frame to aim for (I can't do weekend of 7th May as it's SWMBO's birthday and I am charged with being BBQ chef :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: FNRtSR ideas
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:49:56 am »
pardon my ignorance but could you complete or correct

FridayNightRidetoSomewhereR

TIA

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:51:08 am »
Random.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:56:47 am »
thanks.

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:56:58 am »
I'm happy to organise another ride to Scarborough, you never know I might even turn up to it!

I was thinking more late May or June to get more light and warmer weather ( hopefully)   but I'm happy to go with the flow

Cant do any time in April though

« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:58:19 am »
Top of the Dales would be a good destination.  Buttertubs at dawn.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:58:59 am »
I've never been to this Random place
I like the novelty of riding to somewhere I've never been to before ;D

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7 on: 11 March, 2011, 10:32:40 am »
Hmm, Silly_Bike_Adventures in the middle of the night near where I live?  Oh, I don't know if I'd be up for that....

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #8 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:45:39 am »
I once got tea and toast very early one March morning at the Tan Hill Inn in return for feeding a lamb. 
If this wonderful sounding ride is sorted for a date I could make, I'd  come north for it- if it was just before the Whit school holiday, that would work for me.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #9 on: 11 March, 2011, 11:55:17 am »
Slightly bizarrely, I find tall sounding places aren't quite as scary in the dark.

« Reply #10 on: 11 March, 2011, 01:04:49 pm »
I once got tea and toast very early one March morning at the Tan Hill Inn in return for feeding a lamb. 
If this wonderful sounding ride is sorted for a date I could make, I'd  come north for it- if it was just before the Whit school holiday, that would work for me.

If there is interest, I'll put this on as a ride, but probably not until June or even July (April and May are pretty full with PBP qualifiers for me).  Of course, if someone else wants to go with it, that's fine too.

Though I do prefer the idea of Buttertubs, Tan Hill do breakfasts (and it is one of my favourite places), so that'd be an excellent destination.  Slightly less steep roads than going over Buttertubs as well. It's only about 10 miles on to Kirkby Stephen for trains to Leeds.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 11 March, 2011, 01:40:16 pm »
Tan Hill you say?

On a recumbent, perhaps?

With my reputation?   :demon:

LindaG

« Reply #12 on: 11 March, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »
Tan Hill to Kirkby Stephen is FUUUUUN!

« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2011, 01:45:45 pm »
Deano - you must be slipping - can't you manage a route to take in the Buttertubs, Tan Hill and the Stang all on the same ride?  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #14 on: 11 March, 2011, 02:05:30 pm »
bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator shows a tentative attempt at a ride, so far as I can avoiding main roads.

67 miles in that sort of terrain is a major operation though, but it's eminently doable given that the ride to Kirby Stephen afterwards is a doddle.

Trains to & from London are not prohibitively expensive if booked in advance.

This is us ascending Nateby Bank in the snow, October 2008.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #15 on: 11 March, 2011, 02:22:18 pm »

67 miles in that sort of terrain is a major operation though, but it's eminently doable given that the ride to Kirby Stephen afterwards is a doddle.

Trains to & from London are not prohibitively expensive if booked in advance.
If the bikehike elevation data is correcton your route is correct, there's less climbing on that than on some of my Kent ride routes of a similar length.  And the rewards for climbing done in the Dales are far superior.

« Reply #16 on: 11 March, 2011, 02:53:33 pm »
I was thinking along similar lines, Wow, except going via Scotch Corner so we can take advantage of a sit-down and a coffee at the 24 hr services.  Then along the quiet A-roads and b-roads to Reeth, and up Arkengarthdale to the pub.  There's probably even less climbing than in your original route (since the Vales of York and Mowbray are rather flat places).  I'll probably have to book breakfasts at Tan Hill in advance, but in my experience this is the sort of slightly bonkers endeavour that the folk at Tan Hill would greatly approve of.

How about early July?  That leaves May and June free for FNRtSR Scarborough and elsewhere.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #17 on: 11 March, 2011, 03:22:36 pm »
If there is interest, I'll put this on as a ride, but probably not until June or even July

*registers interest*

10th June is the DunRun prequel, presumably Dusk til Dawn will be either that weekend or the one after?

17th July is SmallestCub's birthday, and I'm therefore not allowed to DunRun.  I suspect that the ban would probably extend to rides that weekend, and ones in the north too.

Other than that, diary's empty as far as I know.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #18 on: 11 March, 2011, 03:53:39 pm »
On a slightly self indulgent note, how about along the Eden Valley (ish) from Penrith to Lancaster via Sedburgh
(100km, stop at Tebay Services at about 40km, 1000m climbing and a long stretch between Tebay and about Burton in Kendal would be pretty much downhill :) ) Can be a bit windy and cold though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #19 on: 11 March, 2011, 04:42:27 pm »
Yes please! Kirkby Lonsdale/Burton/Arnside was one of my absolute favourite bits of riding across to Barrow with the Cub, and I want to go back there.  And Arnside to Garsdale on my own one Sunday was quite possibly the most utterly delicious day of cycling of last year.  I want to go back and explore a bit more over there, even if it is on the wrong side of the hills.

« Reply #20 on: 11 March, 2011, 05:38:40 pm »
My weekends are a bit busier than they were last year, but given notice, I'll fix Friday Night rides as sacrosanct and work mfwhtbab round them.  ;)

I do have a small idea of my own, almost entirely flat, and a loop out of and back into York.  I need to recce it (CL, maybe you'd accompany me sometime for a second opinion.  And cake.)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

tiermat

« Reply #21 on: 11 March, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »
Can I put the first tentative date forward for July of 29th? It's the weekend before my big birthday so seems fitting that I should spend the Friday night doing something bonkers with friends :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #22 on: 11 March, 2011, 05:50:38 pm »
Good plan.  What's your idea for that night?  Whitby re-run?  Scarborough?  Seaton Carew?

« Reply #23 on: 11 March, 2011, 08:46:32 pm »
Can I put the first tentative date forward for July of 29th? It's the weekend before my big birthday so seems fitting that I should spend the Friday night doing something bonkers with friends :)

Cool! It would be an honour to be bonkers with you.

When is Mr Nesbitt's Dusk til Dawn ride again?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

tiermat

« Reply #24 on: 11 March, 2011, 09:13:06 pm »
Good plan.  What's your idea for that night?  Whitby re-run?  Scarborough?  Seaton Carew?

I was thinking a Criterium around Bigg Market, with bonus points for the number of slappers knickers you can get on your handle bars :)