Author Topic: FNRtSR ideas  (Read 9856 times)

Re: FNRtSR ideas
« Reply #25 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:11:01 am »
Can I put the first tentative date forward for July of 29th? It's the weekend before my big birthday so seems fitting that I should spend the Friday night doing something bonkers with friends :)

Cool! It would be an honour to be bonkers with you.

When is Mr Nesbitt's Dusk til Dawn ride again?
Well I was thinking the first half of July but..

« Reply #26 on: 12 March, 2011, 07:11:22 am »
Seaton Carew FTW

« Reply #27 on: 12 March, 2011, 08:33:42 am »
Deano - you must be slipping - can't you manage a route to take in the Buttertubs, Tan Hill and the Stang all on the same ride?  ::-)

Now we are talking. Start Scotch Corner. Richmond, up The Stang, Arkengarthdale, Tan Hill, down Stonesdale, up the back side of Buttertubs to Hawes then down Wensleydale to Leyburn.  No need to avoid any A roads.

The Yorksshire Dales are pretty crap in the dark though. You can't see a damn thing, even if you like the Dales scenary, which IMO is far too twee, you can't see it at night, narrow gravel strewn roads, wild sheep, pissed farmers, lampers. No, it's not all the Rylston WI getting their kit off for charity

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #28 on: 12 March, 2011, 10:06:05 am »
I wonder if mrs. jogler's W.I. mob get their kit off?

« Reply #29 on: 12 March, 2011, 10:43:44 am »
Deano - you must be slipping - can't you manage a route to take in the Buttertubs, Tan Hill and the Stang all on the same ride?  ::-)

Now we are talking. Start Scotch Corner. Richmond, up The Stang, Arkengarthdale, Tan Hill, down Stonesdale, up the back side of Buttertubs to Hawes then down Wensleydale to Leyburn.  No need to avoid any A roads.

The Yorksshire Dales are pretty crap in the dark though. You can't see a damn thing, even if you like the Dales scenary, which IMO is far too twee, you can't see it at night, narrow gravel strewn roads, wild sheep, pissed farmers, lampers. No, it's not all the Rylston WI getting their kit off for charity

You don't have to come ;)

Besides, it's acutally a very well-surfaced route from Richmond to Reeth, with only one or two steep-ish descents in Arkengarthdale.  The sheep'll be asleep, though I can't speak for the sheep worriers...

I thought Dusk till Dawn would be in June.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #30 on: 12 March, 2011, 12:35:50 pm »
Organising a night run based on an all-night cafe wins it for me.  The only truly 100% all-night one I know is the Red Lodge, off the A11 just north of Newmarket. 

Early brekkie at about 10pm, nice ride of about 60-70 miles (well, it's quite flat that way) and then late brekkie at about 4am. :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #31 on: 12 March, 2011, 02:41:32 pm »
Red Lodge is the turn around point on my DIY 200km (starting form East London).  It's not the quietest route, but navigation is simple.

Anyway, back on topic.  Watching this thread with interest.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #32 on: 12 March, 2011, 04:16:59 pm »
Interesting.

You could start from London, food stop at Newmarket after 60 miles, then head off to Kings Lynn, so about 108 miles in total, fairly flat.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 12 March, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »
Interesting.

You could start from London, food stop at Newmarket after 60 miles, then head off to Kings Lynn, so about 108 miles in total, fairly flat.

But, to be fair, rather dull. Lots of flat.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #34 on: 12 March, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »
... 67 miles in that sort of terrain is a major operation though, but it's eminently doable given that the ride to Kirby Stephen afterwards is a doddle.

Trains to & from London are not prohibitively expensive if booked in advance. ...

That sounds a bit promising.  Night rides where I drive back afterwards are probably a bad idea, having tried it after the Whitby ride, and I managed to not fall asleep and crash ... just.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #35 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:06:49 am »
I think I'll do the Tan Hill ride on 1st July, unless MSeries wants to do Dusk till Dawn on that date.

Are you lot going to have a ride to Scarborough in April or May?  I won't be around to attend or organise, but I think someone should put them on.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #36 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:02:02 am »
I think I'll do the Tan Hill ride on 1st July, unless MSeries wants to do Dusk till Dawn on that date.

Are you lot going to have a ride to Scarborough in April or May?  I won't be around to attend or organise, but I think someone should put them on.

15th April looks like a possibilty for the Scarborough ride, I am thinking a re-run of last years, hopefully taking in the Filey bit this time tho.

Any other takers?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #37 on: 24 March, 2011, 06:47:49 am »
M'off to blackpool that night.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #38 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:03:50 am »
me too

Alouicious

« Reply #39 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:37:59 am »
Looking at Wowbagger's photo, if you're contemplating riding over those lands through the night, make sure one or more of you are first-aiders.
Also, make sure one or more of you are totally familiar with the locale to give the paramedic directions to where you are over phone.

tiermat

« Reply #40 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:04:40 am »
Looking at Wowbagger's photo, if you're contemplating riding over those lands through the night, make sure one or more of you are first-aiders.
Also, make sure one or more of you are totally familiar with the locale to give the paramedic directions to where you are over phone.

You posts just weirder and weirder, I appreciate the sentiment but you might just find that we:
a) have done this before
b) have a number of people who know that area really well
c) have a few within our number who are first aid trained
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #41 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:05:45 am »
Ah! of course, Blackpool, any other dates in April or May suit others then?

My excuse is that it was very early when I put that date up.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #42 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:59:18 am »
I'd guess that the 1st is a bit soon? I'm away the weekend of the 8th, not that that should stop you.  15th is Blackpool.  22nd is the FNRttC to Bognor, although I don't know how many of the northerners are planning to go to that.  29th is the royal wedding and there are already loads of options for that weekend - the camping weekend, CC's got a thread about a ride to the seaside, Crusty is organising his cathedral to cathedral ride (I think) and me and the cub are vaguely contemplating an audax although there's nothing definite.

I suspect that 8th or 22nd are most likely to have people available.  22nd is possible for me.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #43 on: 24 March, 2011, 09:04:44 am »

You posts just weirder and weirder, I appreciate the sentiment but you might just find that we:
a) have done this before

I don't think you should risk cycling anywhere that there's a chance that you might not have a mobile phone signal.  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

« Reply #44 on: 24 March, 2011, 09:16:14 am »

a) have done this before

I don't think you should risk cycling anywhere that there's a chance that you might not have a mobile phone signal.  :P

Maybe we should do the route in cars?

Alouicious

« Reply #45 on: 24 March, 2011, 10:00:31 am »

a) have done this before

I've ridden from Birmingham to Tywyn many times, but blow me down, in 2003, I go carted off to hospital with a pesky kidney stone.

You all had better get an X-Ray before attempting such a foolhardy quest.

« Reply #46 on: 24 March, 2011, 10:14:12 am »
I'd guess that the 1st is a bit soon? I'm away the weekend of the 8th, not that that should stop you.  15th is Blackpool.  22nd is the FNRttC to Bognor, although I don't know how many of the northerners are planning to go to that.  29th is the royal wedding and there are already loads of options for that weekend - the camping weekend, CC's got a thread about a ride to the seaside, Crusty is organising his cathedral to cathedral ride (I think) and me and the cub are vaguely contemplating an audax although there's nothing definite.

I suspect that 8th or 22nd are most likely to have people available.  22nd is possible for me.

22nd, I shall be heading for Norfolk, possibly via MYFHTBAB's ex-wife's place for a coffee...

29th, I'm celebrating in the Homeland of our Royal family - Germany.

In fact, with a week at my sisters, and the Leicester costume ride (really ought to organise a costume!) my April is filling up rapidly, as is the weekend after in May, when it's the Electric Bike show at Presteigne.

Get in quickly to book me for mid May!  Hell, I may have to organise my own ride to peg a weekend down....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

« Reply #47 on: 21 April, 2011, 09:15:47 am »
May is looking remarkably bereft of Silly_Bike_Adventures still.  Anyone fancy doing something?

LindaG

« Reply #48 on: 21 April, 2011, 09:36:13 am »
May is looking remarkably bereft of Silly_Bike_Adventures still.  Anyone fancy doing something?

We're away in May, cycling in Scotland.  The route profile appears somewhat ... pointy.  So we'll need a sit down when we get back, possibly reading about your SBA  :)

« Reply #49 on: 21 April, 2011, 09:36:28 am »
Well, as it stands, I'm free the weekend of the <checks diary> 14-15 May, and the last weekend, the 28-29th.

I'm intending to go to a bike festival in Manchester with MFWHTBAB on the 22nd (a Sunday).  

How hard is it to cycle to Manchester from York via any kind of nice route?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk