Author Topic: Cycletta - Cycling events for women  (Read 12839 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Cycletta - Cycling events for women
« Reply #100 on: 03 October, 2011, 07:39:44 pm »
Regrettably, as soon as any "organisation" gives advice, they can become liable for anything that might happen as a result. For instance - someone is advised that their saddle is too lw; they adjust it; the saddle slips on the ride and an incident happens.

It's why bike checks at races were abandoned - if the checker says it is safe, then BC or the promoter, or the checker, could be liable if, say, the seat pin snaps, or a tub rolls off.
PBP has bike checks  (not just lights) but it's very brief. I wonder why they take a different view - French law? Particular viewpoint of the insurer?

(Smaller French Audaxes don't seem to do it).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #101 on: 03 October, 2011, 10:38:03 pm »
I also think that for an event of this nature, basic advice on tyre pressure, saddle height etc would be good. Surely the liability problem could be got around by including a clause in the entry form along the lines of "the organiser will offer advice on cycling equipment but is not to be held liable (blah blah)"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #102 on: 03 October, 2011, 10:42:08 pm »
It needn't be bike specific, either - just general advice that people might not have thought of? What seems obvious to us just isn't to new cyclists.

« Reply #103 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:20:18 am »
Regrettably, as soon as any "organisation" gives advice, they can become liable for anything that might happen as a result. For instance - someone is advised that their saddle is too lw; they adjust it; the saddle slips on the ride and an incident happens.

It's why bike checks at races were abandoned - if the checker says it is safe, then BC or the promoter, or the checker, could be liable if, say, the seat pin snaps, or a tub rolls off.
PBP has bike checks  (not just lights) but it's very brief. I wonder why they take a different view - French law? Particular viewpoint of the insurer?

(Smaller French Audaxes don't seem to do it).

Not so; I have had a bike check on a smaller French Brevet. They checked we had working lights, and probably were checking for hi-vis. I presume this was because it started and (unless you were very fast) finished in the dark, and perhaps they have some liability for sending out riders if they're not legally equipped.