Author Topic: Where should Kirst and I go touring?  (Read 13841 times)

Re: Where should Kirst and I go touring?
« Reply #50 on: 29 May, 2011, 02:17:42 pm »
You don't say whether you want to go from a to b to c or would be happy centred in one place and explore the surrounding area.
Bobb would prefer to keep moving on, like the Littlest Hobo, and my preference would probably be the other way but not enough to overrule bobb. So probably we want to keep moving on. 

I don't mind being based in one place. Or maybe one place for the first week and another for the second week.

It would certainly make it easier as they can be pre booked, which is probably a good idea as you've made it clear that church yards/building sites/sand dunes etc are not acceptable accommodation options  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #51 on: 29 May, 2011, 02:40:11 pm »
Put it this way: any night which does not include a proper bed in a permanent building structure will be a no sex night.  :P :-*

I just think that a fixed base will be more relaxing rather than having to worry about finding somewhere, and for me the point of a holiday is to relax. But if we can be reasonably sure that we'll be able to find a B&B throughout the route, I don't mind moving on every day. Even a week of moving on and a week of staying put would be an acceptable compromise.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #52 on: 29 May, 2011, 03:03:26 pm »

Noooooooooo! God no. We spent a couple of days on the canal du midi on our big tour and the very words make me wince. Most if it's untarmacked, muddy (like, get off and push muddy), bumpy, riddled with tree roots - and dull as hell after an hour at looking at the canal and the regimented trees.

You must be talking of the towpath. I know that part of the canal du midi has a "voie verte" which is tarmacked, my sister who lives in Toulouse sometimes uses it for some touring without hills.

I think that there is a direct flight from Edinburgh to Toulouse.
Chief cat entertainer.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 29 May, 2011, 04:21:13 pm »
I hate ticks and the thought of one in a warm box is just grim.
It is simpler than it looks.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #54 on: 29 May, 2011, 04:34:06 pm »
Northern France?
But avoid August,the whole of France is on holiday at that time making accommodation,if not pre-booked,a lottery

This is very true.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #55 on: 29 May, 2011, 04:54:56 pm »
You could try the French South West, and Mediterranean coast. It is very, very flat, warm, lots of hotels and gites. Or, you could try one of the river routes, such as the Danube, Loire or Rhine. or the German Romantic Road. They are all geared up for cyclists, and there are cycle-friendly hotels with storage sheds. As people have said, there are lots of quiet roads that run the same way as the Canal du Midi. There is also Pomerania.

I remember Lieselotte, from Furth, and La Richelle has une tour.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

border-rider

« Reply #56 on: 29 May, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »
How about a nice ride West from Paris on quiet roads through lovely Normandy & Brittany to the coast, then a gentle meander back ? Very popular in the last week in August ;)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #57 on: 29 May, 2011, 05:04:30 pm »
Yeah, cos Johnny Batrachian descends on the South en masse for two months. Beware of Northern French places shut because of, er, the holiday season!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #58 on: 29 May, 2011, 05:17:41 pm »
My friend's parents live in Lieurey in Normandy. They'd be delighted to see us.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #59 on: 29 May, 2011, 05:25:53 pm »
Speaking as a chap who took a female significant other touring for the first time last year I would suggest having accomodation pre-booked is a very good idea.

« Reply #60 on: 29 May, 2011, 06:32:34 pm »

You must be talking of the towpath. I know that part of the canal du midi has a "voie verte" which is tarmacked, my sister who lives in Toulouse sometimes uses it for some touring without hills.

Oh boy, I wish we'd known that at the time! We were, indeed, in the tow path...

« Reply #61 on: 29 May, 2011, 06:35:49 pm »
The bit round Bezier and towards the coast is tarmaced for a lot of the way.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #62 on: 29 May, 2011, 06:52:46 pm »
Scandinavia can be expensive, however, one thing they do have is huts on campsites. I know you said no camping, but these are really civilised and cheap. In the wilds they can even be free. You'd need a sleeping bag, possibly some cutlery and plate and stuff, but that's about it.

Food can also be expensive, but needn't be. Most towns will have a selection of restaurants offering Dagens Ratt, which is misselled as I don't have the right keyboard, but is not rodent! It's the meal of the day and is a cheap way to eat well.

English is widely spoken too.

Having said that, Normandy is fantastic for cycling. An easy route is from Cherbourg to Ouistrehamn past the D-Day beaches. Lots of detours and Bayeux en-route for a bit of culture.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #63 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:42:23 pm »
I'm becoming quite enthusiastic for France.

Having said that, Normandy is fantastic for cycling. An easy route is from Cherbourg to Ouistrehamn past the D-Day beaches. Lots of detours and Bayeux en-route for a bit of culture.
If I have bobb with me, I'll have all the culture I need.  ;D

« Reply #64 on: 30 May, 2011, 01:36:19 pm »
Well, the Bayeux Tapestry might possibly be the original red-top. Lots of pictures, little text.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #65 on: 30 May, 2011, 02:01:28 pm »
Another vote for France.  Maybe get the train to La Rochelle (3 hr TGV from Paris IIRC) and head south from there.  Nice flat bits and great beaches around the Royan sticky out bit and you can get the ferry across to explore Bordeaux vineyards and pootle through St Emilion and across to the Dordogne.  

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #66 on: 30 May, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »
It doesn't have to be in Europe, but just for speed of travel and cheapness it probably needs to be.

Also, I don't mind if it's not flat as long as it's all downhill. With no headwind.

That rules out the Outer Hebrides and N. Scotland

« Reply #67 on: 30 May, 2011, 02:17:24 pm »
Maybe a large suite somewhere luxurious, with frequent tours of the bedroom and other areas?  :demon:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #68 on: 30 May, 2011, 02:20:41 pm »
Oh yes -- foodwise, Italy's your best bet. Lots of veggie pasta and salads. And cheap, cause you're effectively only ordering a first course! France is getting better, and there's always an omelette... Germany is good in the cities, impossible outside. Well, not impossible, obviously - just limited.

I'm reminded of the half-a-cabbage-in-gravy incident  :facepalm:

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #69 on: 30 May, 2011, 02:27:39 pm »
Well, the Bayeux Tapestry might possibly be the original red-top. Lots of pictures, little text.

Oooh yeah, especially the couple shagging, was it posed and if so who by?

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #70 on: 30 May, 2011, 02:28:52 pm »
Two incidents with my late GF at an Austrian hotel. She was a veggie, and was offered on one occasion wold mushroom stew. This was the venison and mushroom stew I had, with the venison scooped out of her portion.

The second time she was offered liver, on the basis that it isn't meat, as meat is muscle tissue...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #71 on: 30 May, 2011, 05:46:59 pm »
Maybe a large suite somewhere luxurious, with frequent tours of the bedroom and other areas?  :demon:
Sounds perfect.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #72 on: 30 May, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »
Poland could be good.  My plans to tour there last September never came to fruition and I ended up taking the train, but the view from its window made me wish I'd got my act together: large expanses of flat countryside that still looked like an interesting place to ride.  Stuff wasn't too expensive and it's a little more of an adventure than France. 

France could be very good though.  The Loire valley's very nice and if you follow the route of one of the rivers, you're fairly certain not to go over any steep hills!  I'd recommend riding from place to place rather than doing a 'clover leaf tour': the temptation with the latter is always to take extra days off and shorten your route, while when you have the necessity of getting to your next destination, you always feel fine after a few miles once your legs warm up.  If you do feel knackered one day, you an always take the train.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #73 on: 30 May, 2011, 10:58:57 pm »
I think we're pretty settled on France. Now we just need to decide where, when and how.  :D

« Reply #74 on: 30 May, 2011, 11:06:29 pm »
I've only just noticed this thread.

I read:
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think we want to go away together alone, not with a bunch of weirdo cyclists.  ;) ;D

As:
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think we want to go all the way together alone, not with a bunch of weirdo cyclists.  ;) ;D
:o :o :o

::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...