Author Topic: FNRttC Dec 9th 2011 to Sarfend  (Read 11367 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: FNRttC Dec 9th 2011 to Sarfend
« Reply #25 on: 07 December, 2011, 03:11:56 pm »
Surely fording on a trike is best done dead slow, and with a smug grin?  That was my plan, unless the water turns out to be fractionally deeper than anticipated...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #26 on: 07 December, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »
Surely fording on a trike is best done dead slow, and with a smug grin?  That was my plan, unless the water turns out to be fractionally deeper than anticipated...
But is coming to a stop on the ice-covered climb out of the ford, with driven wheel spinning, a useful environmental niche?  (Let brakes off, roll back until driven wheel is under water, and therefore not on ice.  Accelerate up slope.  Come to a stop again.  Repeat until tow-rope appears or ice thaws.)

Trikes Plus Icy Fords = Rollercoaster effect Plus diving mask & snorkel.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #27 on: 08 December, 2011, 09:10:05 am »

I'm wondering if we can arrange for a BMW to overtake while kim goes through  O:-)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
FNRttC Dec 9th 2011 to Sarfend
« Reply #28 on: 08 December, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »
I think I shall just bring trike and not dog for convenience. Then I can actually go into the cafe and partake of breakfast.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #29 on: 09 December, 2011, 09:05:30 am »
Hmm... I had only 3 hrs sleep last night and feel shattered (sewage system playing up), so I'm afraid I'm out :(.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #30 on: 09 December, 2011, 10:02:38 am »
I'm operating on a massive sleep deficit, so I've decided I'll help Simon lead the ride out through east London, then some point after Romford I'll turn back for home (it's along the route).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 09 December, 2011, 10:19:58 am »
I'm still planning to join the ride at Stock, which is about 20 miles from home, and then turn round and come back.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #32 on: 09 December, 2011, 02:39:34 pm »
I've had a cold all week and have zero energy in the legs, so Im out as well.  :'(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 09 December, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »
I was hoping to come - but Mr R's parents are coming to stay tonight...  >:( :( :'(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #34 on: 09 December, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »
Well I plan to do the whole thing, along with Mrs. Hall.

I must remember to collect sufficient orange cardboard on my way home this evening.

I'm looking forward to this.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 09 December, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »
I'm still not feeling 100%, but I'm a fair bit better than yesterday and have had a decent amount of sleep for a change.  Plus I already have the orange cardboard and it's a fairly easy ride anyway.

I've fettled the baraktacycle to make it Kim-sized, re-instated the pannier rack and so on, and it should be good to go.

Reserving the right to get to Mordor Central and bottle out, thobut.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #36 on: 09 December, 2011, 05:31:08 pm »
What could possibly go wrong?

I'm about to email the boss as to whether I can take over the place of one of the DNSs.  Tailwind, temperatures greater than zero, and various batteries all on charge.

Ditto to potentially bailing out at Derby Midland.  Train is 2120, to get to St Pancras at 2306.  That's plenty of time to get horribly lost in That London.

« Reply #37 on: 09 December, 2011, 05:32:23 pm »
Have a great ride all those who are doing this one - I'm not, due to other commitments, but in honour of the occasion I wore my red star Fridays jersey on the ride to work today.  The moon will be magnificent, I'm sure.  There have been some excellent halos round the moon lately, and of course Jupiter's still riding high in Aries, with Saturn in Virgo and Mars rising in the south east before dawn.

« Reply #38 on: 09 December, 2011, 05:36:02 pm »
I must remember to collect sufficient orange cardboard
Eh?
Plus I already have the orange cardboard
Orange cardboard?? WTF?  ???

« Reply #39 on: 09 December, 2011, 05:37:51 pm »
Orange cardboard?? WTF?  ???
Tickets..

Good ride to y'all.

Keep warm.

EDIT: I did consider spinning some sort of recumbent-specific-orange-cardboard-for-dealing-with-fords yarn, but thought we've had our fair share of spin.....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 09 December, 2011, 06:00:02 pm »

Lungs, knees and weather, mainly...

Ditto to potentially bailing out at Derby Midland.  Train is 2120, to get to St Pancras at 2306.  That's plenty of time to get horribly lost in That London.

FWIW mine gets in to EUS at 22:43, and it'll easily take a good 10 minutes to wait for the guard not to show up, burgle my way out of the train and re-mantle the trike, so if you want me to hang around in the nice warm station for a bit we can do the getting lost in formation.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #41 on: 09 December, 2011, 06:03:09 pm »

Lungs, knees and weather, mainly...

FWIW mine gets in to EUS at 22:43, and it'll easily take a good 10 minutes to wait for the guard not to show up, burgle my way out of the train and re-mantle the trike, so if you want me to hang around in the nice warm station for a bit we can do the getting lost in formation.
Cewl.  Will text if I abandon, otherwise I'll meet you in the Euston concourse.  Then I can leave the TomTom at home, relying solely on the Garmin, Android and pot luck.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 09 December, 2011, 06:36:46 pm »
After a bit of prevarication the forecast for Southend seems to have given up on the idea of a frost for us. Lovely full moon.

The only drawback with coming to Southend at breakfast time when the moon is full is that the sea is always a very long way away.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #43 on: 09 December, 2011, 06:45:12 pm »
I was hoping to do this, but the bug is still around so better not tempt faith. But I might end up seen a few of you lot in am from what I hear.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 09 December, 2011, 07:05:47 pm »
No, change of plan.  I've run out of energy, and barakta's telling me not to be so silly.   :(

Have a good ride folks, see you on the next one, maybe.

rower40: good luck with the TomTom.
Wowbagger: hopefully someone else will be able to provide progress reports.

« Reply #45 on: 09 December, 2011, 07:26:46 pm »
After a bit of prevarication the forecast for Southend seems to have given up on the idea of a frost for us. Lovely full moon.

The only drawback with coming to Southend at breakfast time when the moon is full is that the sea is always a very long way away.
Yes it has always seemed that way.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #46 on: 09 December, 2011, 08:22:06 pm »
I am not sure if I will make it tomorrow morning - lots of chums pulling out means a 5:30am wake up in the cold weather is less appealing. I'll see you if I see you!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #47 on: 09 December, 2011, 10:19:09 pm »
I've just popped out.
The roads are turning icy here in Milton Keynes which is about 70-80 miles west of Southend. I'd be carefull out there, especially out of town. It'll get colder before it gets warmer. Going by what I've just cycled on, I wouldn't do an all night ride. Hope it's not icy for you.
Nice full moon and lots of stars though.

« Reply #48 on: 09 December, 2011, 10:26:36 pm »
Rower40 has asked me to post this:-

http://www.mtrak.co.uk/show.php?route=KS9IaKqvHQ

Just click on the link to see his progress.

That should start showing data just after midnight, and will show the progress. All you need to do is refresh every now and then, and new data should arrive every 15 minutes.

If you click on the link before any data arrives, it shows a position off the west of Africa. That is just 0 Latitude and 0 Longitude. That won't be shown after midnight (I hope) and it doesn't mean that the ride is off-course.

Data after 8 am won't be shown, but the link show the midnight - 8 am data permanently.

As I wrote the website that does this, any suggestions or comments welcome.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #49 on: 09 December, 2011, 10:53:22 pm »
Ah excellent! I can track what's going on and plan my departure accordingly.