Author Topic: FNRttC Dec 9th 2011 to Sarfend  (Read 11364 times)

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
FNRttC Dec 9th 2011 to Sarfend
« Reply #75 on: 10 December, 2011, 09:46:29 am »
Where's the purple hair?  ???

Behind the camera giving advice on the lighting conditions?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: FNRttC Dec 9th 2011 to Sarfend
« Reply #76 on: 10 December, 2011, 11:15:15 am »
*yawn* Well done chaps/chappettes.

Bit disappointed to see no green arrows on that graph, Rower40. Must do better next time ;)
If I hadn't switched the tracker off, and if this train allowed GPS signals thru its windows, there'd be some red ones! Now leaving London behind at 2 miles/min.

Great ride everyone, & thanks to Wow for shepherding me to Prittlewell.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #77 on: 10 December, 2011, 11:18:33 am »
Hence it's doing a reasonable job of detecting traffic lights on the A11, of which there are about 500000.

The techno wizard, she speak da troof. And they were all red, innit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #78 on: 10 December, 2011, 11:23:11 am »
Ps. As the Southend Vic convoy crossed over the Lts line, an unusual train went underneath. Cl37 at the front. So I stopped on the bridge to see what was on the back. A kettle! I think it might have been Oliver Cromwell. V rare for what is normally electric only turf.

« Reply #79 on: 10 December, 2011, 12:38:49 pm »
The OC also went through cambridge on thursday.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #80 on: 10 December, 2011, 01:53:16 pm »
[IMG height=64 width=48]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/Auntie_Helen/8415aa2a.jpg[/img]
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #81 on: 10 December, 2011, 02:07:00 pm »
[IMG height=64 width=48]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/Auntie_Helen/8415aa2a.jpg[/img]
[IMG height=64 width=48]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx30/Auntie_Helen/c29b03ee.jpg[/img]
You did go back to your natural colour!  :-*

« Reply #82 on: 10 December, 2011, 03:31:43 pm »
The purple hair is stunning :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #83 on: 10 December, 2011, 04:14:27 pm »
Thank you!

It is supposed to be red, and it's red in most lights, but photographs seem to make it purply.

Just washed it and was a bit traumatised to see how pink the water was. Hopefully it'll last a month or so at least.

Do you think it'll make me cycle faster now my hair is the same colour as my trike?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 10 December, 2011, 04:28:03 pm »
Red hair goes faster.   :thumbsup:

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #85 on: 10 December, 2011, 04:33:40 pm »
Red hair goes faster.   :thumbsup:

It does indeed... ;D

Your hair looked great Helen...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #86 on: 10 December, 2011, 06:44:50 pm »
Home and sleep obtained.

Splendid route, great company, excellent organisation.  Thanks to all the TECs, and to the participants of the conversations that helped while away the hours and miles.

Ice was in evidence in one or two places - notably just before and just after the ford.

The village hall at Stock was a wonderful venue for 3amses(where 3 is a perfectly acceptable alternative to 11), with coffee, sandwiches, and hot cross buns with slabs of butter.  I for one am really grateful to the people who gave up a night's sleep to feed and water us there.

Wow led us out via the Hanningford Reservoir dam, and towards streetlights at Wickford, Rochford, then Leigh.  More ice-related teh FEAR on the seafront "no cycling" route, then the cafe.  More thanks to the staff there for feeding and coffeeing us for the journey home.

Auntie Helen arrived shortly after; the hubbub rising up from the assembled company was briefly hushed when she removed her headgear to reveal the new look.  Red is definitely the new blackblonde.

Wow then led a group of 8 or so up the hill towards the town centre; one sub-group peeled off to Southend Central, where they must have had an excellent view of the Charter train with 70000 Britannia (not Oliver Cromwell - sorry.  In my defence, as far as I'm concerned, Steam Engines consume coal and water, and electrically short the rails together to operate the track circuits).  Wow, I and two others took a few more back streets to deliver them to Southend Vic.  I followed Wow for another half mile to Prittlewell, and admired his weather station before bidding farewell, and boarding the 0912 to Liverpoo Street.

A blinding flash of inspiration followed; rather than riding from Liverpoo Street to St Pancras (via that oh-so-cycle-hostile Old Street Roundabout), I changed trains at Stratford, onto the Mollusc-friendly North London Line, for a 20min journey to Camden Road, which is eminently bikeable to St Pancras.  I commend this solution to the house - or that part of the house that live in Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, and need to transfer to sensible central London stations.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #87 on: 10 December, 2011, 08:52:49 pm »
And the tracker was a great success :thumbsup:
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #88 on: 10 December, 2011, 09:14:48 pm »
Oh, btw, Canvey Island

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jodLajEQQyI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jodLajEQQyI&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

« Reply #89 on: 10 December, 2011, 09:21:30 pm »
Dr. Feelgood + Canvey Island = Legend  :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #90 on: 10 December, 2011, 09:40:19 pm »
Just a brilliant ride. Somewhat cold thobut.

Talking about music- Ian Dury was in my head as we passed the sign for Harold Hill, home of Harold Hill of DIY dexterity and double glazing skill. He stayed there as we skirted Billericay, obv. And then as we approached the ford, there was a great clatter The Claud and another rider went over on the ice.

The music in my head switched Ravel's Bolero,

« Reply #91 on: 10 December, 2011, 09:49:55 pm »
Norfolk nips was curtailed due to ice  and offs.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #92 on: 10 December, 2011, 09:50:28 pm »
Sounds like I missed all the fun.

« Reply #93 on: 10 December, 2011, 09:57:23 pm »
Sounds like I missed all the fun.

You weren't alone...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #94 on: 10 December, 2011, 11:23:27 pm »
Oh, btw, Canvey Island

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jodLajEQQyI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jodLajEQQyI&rel=1</a>

Had I thought about it I could have led a party to see the bungalow where Lee Brilleaux' mother still lives. It's just down the road from Prittlewell Station.

Earlier on, Simon did a fine job in showing us where the smallest council house in the country is.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #95 on: 11 December, 2011, 09:25:11 am »
The village hall at Stock was a wonderful venue for 3amses(where 3 is a perfectly acceptable alternative to 11)

I think that phrase is going to stick :D

Wish I'd been able to go along on this one. Only 3 months until the next one, I guess.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #96 on: 11 December, 2011, 09:51:14 am »
Just a brilliant ride. Somewhat cold thobut.

Talking about music- Ian Dury was in my head as we passed the sign for Harold Hill, home of Harold Hill of DIY dexterity and double glazing skill. He stayed there as we skirted Billericay, obv. And then as we approached the ford, there was a great clatter The Claud and another rider went over on the ice.

The music in my head switched Ravel's Bolero,

Had we continued along the sea front, we would have reached Shoeburyness, whereas a diversion north at Battlesbridge would have taken us to Burnham-on-Crouch, which was the river we crossed in Wickford 100 yards or so before using the "no cycling" tunnel under the dual carriageway. As it was, across the estuary we had views of scenes quite near the Isle of Thanet, which, for some strange reason, is fairly well down the list of places my wife likes to visit.

But earlier, not far from the Olympic Monstrosity, did you not see signs to Plaistow (pronounce "Plarstoe")?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #97 on: 11 December, 2011, 07:23:15 pm »
Ah. Remember when we were chatting en route to Rayleigh? I think the chap in the van who was getting all boisterous round that roundabout was yelling the opening line.