Author Topic: Hampshire Hol - Routes & Pubs?  (Read 6011 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Hampshire Hol - Routes & Pubs?
« on: 03 April, 2008, 11:09:41 am »
Mrs. Wow and I will be spending four days next week with a couple of pals in Woodgreen.

I've never visited the New Forest before. We are taking bikes and also probably doing a bit of walking. I expect our rides will be about 30 to 40 miles per day and we need pubs. Walks might be about 8 miles.

Any suggestions for hostelries or ready-made rides will be gratefully received.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

Re: Hampshire Hol - Routes & Pubs?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2008, 11:17:55 am »
Wowbagger, you must whizz down the Ornamental Drives (Bolderwood and Rheinfield).  Can get a bit busy on a sunny Sunday so weekdays preferable).  Do it North to South so you don't need to pedal so much.  It's a lovely run.  I'd like to use a Helmet Cam to capture it one day.

They are about 10km South/East of Woodgreen if you were a Crow.

The New Forest Excursion 200k passed thru Woodgreen (I have no recollection) then to the Ornamental Drives:
Woodgreen
Hale
Hamptworth
Nomansland
Fritham
Ocknell Plain
Then down the 2 Drives into Brockenhurst

I remember it being lovely out there. 

There are pubs in or near those towns/villages but I can't remember them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2008, 12:28:28 pm »
Thanks, LEE. I should have mentioned that we are cycling from Eastleigh Station on Sunday afternoon. I've worked out a route through using NCN 24 and other small roads to Romsey, then A27 for a bit, cross the A36 at Blackhill. Furzey Common, join the B road south of Nomansland through Hale and then on to Woodgreen.

We are staying here for 4 nights.

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2008, 01:03:43 pm »
Pity about the Eastleigh part.  The station is at the wrong side of town to make for a nice route out.  Shame to come to Hampshire and have to cycle thru Eastleigh.

If you got off at Shawford/Twyford (the stop before) you could go via Hursley and cross the river at Kimbridge (Annie's tea room used on some Audaxes for Tea and Cake).  That's the way the Denmead to Lymington 200 goes.  It gets a bit lumpy between Hursley and Kimbridge but avoids Eastleigh and Romsey using smaller lanes mainly.   To the A36 Blackhill crossing I reckon it's 29km as opposed to your planned 21km.  An extra 20 minutes and you get to avoid urban sprawl.

« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2008, 01:26:26 pm »
I live in Romsey and ride those roads a lot: the Blackhill crossing is def. your friendliest way into the forest and the Hursley detour is fab; I agree with LEE that the ornamental drives are unmissable too.

Nice roads around Woodgreen are:

- the one that climbs from the village towards Hale Purlieu/Redlynch

- head towards Godshill and then fork R towards Castle Hill. You get a great view out across the Avon, and it's a lovely quiet lane.

- cross the A338 then head towards Breamore, Whitsbury, Rockborne - it's all nice around there - loop back through Fordingbridge.

Pubs? You are spoilt for choice and won't go far wrong. They do get quite busy though.

The in-laws have just moved to Lymington so the trip from Romsey is a very scenic and beautiful 28 miles each way  :)
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2008, 09:00:37 pm »
Thanks chaps!

I have just struck this route for the Garmin:-

Shawford - Woodgreen

This is the alternative from Winchester:-

Winchester -Woodgreen

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2008, 09:49:41 pm »
I would plump for Winchester rather than Shawford station to start from.
The route you have plotted is main road all the way to Standon which can be better reached by heading out on the old Roman road towards Farley Mount from Winchester - much quieter and little difference in distance.

For pubs I see you plan to go through Braishfield. Do not miss the Newport Inn. It is a time warp of a pub, truly lost in the depths of the last century. Don't expect anything other than a sarnie and a pint.

Generally I find the New Forest disappointing for pubs, but there are a few gems that stand out head and shouldrs above the rest. For around your base there are three pubs I wouldn't miss.

The Cuckoo at Hamptworth is a superb traditional thatched pub with up to six real ales served direct from the cask with Hop Back beers usually available. The atmosphere is superb - unspoilt pub, very welcoming, and that old-fashioned feel long lost in many so-called country pubs.

The Royal Oak at Fritham is another must visit, tucked down the end of a narrow lane and very welcoming to cyclists. It is a magical pub, in a wonderful setting - arguably the best pub in the Forest and one of my all-time favourites. It should have national protection as its all a good pub should be. Again, beers are gravity dispensed and are always from small local breweries. Several small areas are all served from a hatch. The cheeses and home-smoked sausages should not be missed. Beware - it is a very difficult pub to leave  ;)
There are some great walks from the pub too.

The Red Shoot at Linwood towards Ringwood from Woodgreen is a bit foody but is another great setting, hidden away in the Forest. Attraction here is that it has its own brewery visible from the bar, and the beers are reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Have a good trip.

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2008, 08:14:23 am »
My ols stomping ground!

Don't forget there are lots of minor roads in very pretty countryside north of Woodgreen,too.  Head towards Redlynch, Whiteparish, West Dean and the like.

There are also lots of nice minor roads on the west of the River Avon through Burgate, Outwick, Rockbourne, Martin and Cranborne if you fancy a change of scenery

Cycling in the New Forest has got somewhat safer since the introduction of the blanket 40mph limit (not that everyone sticks to it).  The Forest is divided by the A31 which can present something of an obstacle but, in the past, I've cycled to Stoney Cross (former WW2 airfield) and then joined the Linwood to Bolderwood road to us the underpass at SU 235096.  A whole new network of roads then opens up in the south east of the forest; the area between Lyndhurst and Beaulieu is good although try to aviod the A35.

I can't comment on pubs, it's been years since I've been in a New forest establishment.
Question everything, accept nothing.

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2008, 09:45:25 am »
My ols stomping ground!

Don't forget there are lots of minor roads in very pretty countryside north of Woodgreen,too.  Head towards Redlynch, Whiteparish, West Dean and the like.

Which takes you nicely to Mottisfont Abbey

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2008, 01:56:53 pm »
A nice area indeed but not one I am familiar with.

Hummers recommends the Vanilla Pod Cafe, Lymington.

H

« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2008, 04:30:34 pm »

A good caff indeed.
Go there quickly as I think its up for sale.

Hummers

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2008, 02:29:05 pm »

A good caff indeed.
Go there quickly as I think its up for sale.

:'(

H

simonali

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2008, 08:54:17 pm »
The Red Shoot at Linwood towards Ringwood from Woodgreen is a bit foody but is another great setting, hidden away in the Forest. Attraction here is that it has its own brewery visible from the bar, and the beers are reasonable.

I was gonna recommend this one. If you're meat eaters the steaks are very good. The pub's brewery is Wadworth, so if you don't like their beer, drink the home-made stuff!

There is (was?) another pub just up the road from this one, that is usually a little bit quieter, called the High Corner Inn.

Tip: Avoid going through a little village called Blissford near Fordingbridge unless you're a fan of 1 in 4 hills!

« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2008, 10:38:42 pm »

Hummers

« Reply #14 on: 05 April, 2008, 11:07:16 pm »
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cycling-maps-leaflets.htm

Lots of ideas there

Also of interest is the Gridiron route

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Gridiron

The Grid Iron is a grea route, good suggestion.

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2008, 12:28:55 am »
I think one of my pals would baulk at 90+k. I've thought of a way of adapting the Ornamental Drives, lunch at the Foresters in Brockenurst and then back via Burley, Ringwood and the Gridiron route. Just over 40 miles.

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #16 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:42:24 pm »
The gridiron route is so called because you go over a number of cattle grids.  This can be a good thing and a bad thing on a bike depending on variables such as road moisture and bike speed.....

Have riden most of that route on a old 3 speed Philips sit-up-and-beg back when I were a teenager - all good fun.

Was down at my parents in Fordingbridge today, its all looking very green and lovely down there (once the snow melted).
Question everything, accept nothing.

« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:48:53 pm »
There are also a selection of off road routes. They aren't what even I, as a fair weather mountain biker, would call technical. They are gravelly though. You might be OK on a bike with 35mm tyres. Worth a try I reckon. They are not very hilly either. You should be able to pick up a map from the local tourist information offices, or maybe find the routes on line.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 10 April, 2008, 06:16:05 pm »
Well, we're back. We arrived at our B & B in the snow but had three days' almost unbroken sunshine and this morning I saw a house martin.

I'll be posting some stuff in a bit - and thanks for the advice given above. We acted on it and visited some damned fine pubs!

Hummers

« Reply #19 on: 10 April, 2008, 06:19:59 pm »
Well, we're back. We arrived at our B & B in the snow but had three days' almost unbroken sunshine and this morning I saw a house martin.

I'll be posting some stuff in a bit - and thanks for the advice given above. We acted on it and visited some damned fine pubs!

Yep, you certianly picked a fantastic spot of weather to take your hols in that's for sure!

H

simonali

« Reply #20 on: 11 April, 2008, 10:56:45 am »
Was down at my parents in Fordingbridge today, its all looking very green and lovely down there (once the snow melted).

My in-laws aren't far from there, near Ibsley.

LEE

« Reply #21 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:11:45 pm »
Looking forward to freewheeling down the Ornamental Drives on the New Forest 200 in May.  It's so much better than slogging up them into a stiff headwind on Denmead 200.