Author Topic: Western Isles, June 2012  (Read 10244 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Western Isles, June 2012
« on: 06 January, 2012, 09:34:34 pm »
I've almost finished booking the B & Bs for this trip.

We are setting off on 31st May on the sleeper to Glasgow, then the early train to Oban, the ferry to Castlebay and then the fun begins.

1st & 2nd 2 nights in Castlebay to explore Barra and Vatersay.

3rd & 4th 2 nights on Benbecula, having a good look a South Uist on the way

5th 1 night on North Uist.

6th 1 night on Scalpay

7th 1 night in Leurbost

8th & 9th 2 nights on the W coast of Lewis at Suainaval (personal recommendation of the B & B)

10th 1 night in Stornoway

11th Ferry / bike bus / sleeper, Inverness to London

12th June arrive home.

Generally short days' riding (I don't think we've got any day greater than 40 miles and most are quite a bit less) and lots of time gazing through binoculars at wildlife.

Suggestions for pubs / other attractions gratefully received.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

gordon taylor

Re: Western Isles, June 2012
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2012, 09:52:04 pm »
That looks fabulous.
I wish you the best of weather!

:thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2012, 09:55:22 pm »
Cheers! It's what makes or breaks a holiday in my view. May has a record of being by far the sunniest month in Western Scotland, but what with half term being when it is, it's forcing us into June. If the weather is good, it will be wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2012, 11:17:55 pm »
May has a record of being by far the sunniest month in Western Scotland

Yipperdeedoo - that's when I'll be there.  Essex to Inverness via Ardnamurchan and Applecross is the plan at the moment

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2012, 11:20:43 pm »
May has a record of being by far the sunniest month in Western Scotland

Yipperdeedoo - that's when I'll be there.  Essex to Inverness via Ardnamurchan and Applecross is the plan at the moment

That sounds like a wonderful tour! We did something not dissimilar last year.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40489.0 refers.

« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »
We did something not dissimilar last year.

Yes, I will be following bits of your route and have already noted interested options such as the whisky touting B&B in Dumfries.  I plan, however, to camp most of the way and take time to explore areas that I am unfamiliar with ie Dumfries & Galloway.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2012, 09:42:33 am »
I have just completed the purchase of rail tickets for this journey.

We are catching the sleeper to Glasgow Central on 31sty May and the 8.21 from Glasgow Queen Street to Oban on 1st June. Bike spaces have been reserved.

I've just booked the tickets on the sleeper from Inverness to Euston for 11th June.

In both cases, we've opted to go for reclining seats rather than a berth. We've got a very good deal and I haven't had to faff with the vagaries of the Bargain Berths booking page, which is a temperamental git in my experience.

Edit: and we've got the tickets cheaper than the bargain berth price, which are 2 @ £39 and others @ £49.

« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2012, 09:53:57 am »
We can also recommend Suainaval if the proprietors are still Kirsty and Tony Wade.   Hospitality second to none.   The en suite room is supremely comfortable and Kirsty in particular will happily sort your laundry and feed you very well indeed.   Both Kristy and Tony are interesting and engaging people.   Personal friends of Windy too iirc.   It can be a soul-destroying ride out there though if it is raining.  I got very very cold indeed.   

Just don't offer to race her across the bach Baggers   ;)

You will be popping in to say hello to Windy and family too I hope...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2012, 10:33:15 am »
I only race former SPOTY winners across beaches if we are both naked. I can confirm that none has ever beaten me in such a race - Kirsty might be able to add that to her impressive record of achievements! However, I suspect I might win a race across the Bach - I play a number of his keyboard pieces.  ;)

I hope to be able to track Mr. Windy down.

« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2012, 09:15:51 pm »
We have stayed at Suainaval twice now.  Probably one of the best B&Bs in the world! Please pass on our best wishes to Kirsty and Tony and family. (And don't miss the Uig Community shop.)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 31 May, 2012, 11:43:28 am »
True to form, Scotrail are fucking me about.

I decided to telephone to double check that our bike reservations were secure. Because I booked tickets on the sleeper, even though we have booked seats rather than berths, I had to do so on the Scotrail website which, so far as I know, has no bike reservation facility. Once I'd purchased the tickets, which I did on 23rd March, I then telephoned to book our bike reservations. I was given 8-digit reference numbers for the purpose of citing this number to the guard who then allows access to dangly spaces.

When I phoned this morning, the woman I spoke to confirmed the reference number for tonight's journey, but had no record of the number I was given for the return journey on 11th June. I emailed this number to both Jan and Annie on 23rd March, which was the day I booked the tickets. It's possible I might have written it down wrongly, but I doubt it, and I would have read it back to the operator at the time. I booked the tickets on 23rd March, I got them out of the machine on 23rd March, I phoned for bike reservations on 23rd March and I made sure the other two knew what the number was on 23rd March.

Now Scotrail don't seem to have any record of these reservations and of course a telephone call audit trail is very difficult to establish.

This is a carbon copy of the problem we had two years ago on our trip to Skye. They are useless bastards.

« Reply #11 on: 31 May, 2012, 11:48:48 am »
you can probably fly there from southend now, cant you?

[ ;D ducks & runs for cover]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2012, 02:02:22 pm »
Treating the above with the contempt it so richly deserves  :P, I have just emailed a Mary Dixon, who is the Managing Director of Scotrail, informing of the cock-up in progress and  pointing out that three of us will be arriving in Inverness on 11th June expecting ourselves and our bicycles to be transported to London.

At least they've got almost a fortnight to get their arses into gear.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 31 May, 2012, 04:45:16 pm »
I seem to have put all my necessary clothes in one rear pannier.

I've got the tools, puncture repair kit, spare tubes and my waterproof in the saddlebag.

One of the front panniers will have some spares (cables, a few nuts and bolts, spokes) in it.

What am I to put in the other two panniers?  ???

Edit: my bar bag has camera, binoculars, spare batteries and AA/AAA charger, notebook, pen, cheque book, medication, battery charger...

« Reply #14 on: 31 May, 2012, 04:51:28 pm »
Your favourite sausages and a bust of Napoleon. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 31 May, 2012, 04:57:57 pm »

Ditch the saddlebag, redistribute the clothes.  Fill remaining space with CAKE.

Alternatively, milk.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 31 May, 2012, 05:16:30 pm »
I think ditching the saddlebag is a good idea. We will certainly need some spare space for cake. Milk is a good idea.

I did have to wipe the inside of one of the front panniers out because I had left my Rowse's squirty honey in there and some of it had escaped.

« Reply #17 on: 31 May, 2012, 06:36:45 pm »
Milk is a good idea.
You can buy milk, even in the W. Isles, but it would be hard to find a bust of Napoleon! Be a shame to ruin your holibobs for the wanting of a bust of Napoleon.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 31 May, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »
Milk is a good idea.
You can buy milk, even in the W. Isles, but it would be hard to find a bust of Napoleon! Be a shame to ruin your holibobs for the wanting of a bust of Napoleon.

There is a little bit of history involving a pannier (not mine) attached to my bike and sloshing around with half a gallon of milk that I had bought. See Dun Run ride reports, 2010.

Edit: if you put the words "milk" and "pannier' into the YACF search box, it finds the relevant post with unerring accuracy.

LindaG

« Reply #19 on: 31 May, 2012, 06:44:35 pm »
Greetings from sunny Mull Wowbagger . Bring all the DEET you can carry. SRSLY

« Reply #20 on: 31 May, 2012, 07:47:47 pm »
Dun Carlaway (don't know the "proper" spelling)? The Callanais stones?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 31 May, 2012, 07:48:44 pm »
Greetings from sunny Mull Wowbagger . Bring all the DEET you can carry. SRSLY
Thanks, LG. Have put another canister in.

« Reply #22 on: 31 May, 2012, 07:58:24 pm »
Do I take it that DEET is some kind of DOOM equivalent for the nuking of flying things?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 31 May, 2012, 08:01:23 pm »
It is. Culicoides impunctatus isn't supposed to be active this early.

Mind you, these bloody creatures never read the right books.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 31 May, 2012, 08:11:17 pm »
Well, the bikes are packed. I have done as Kim suggested and ditched the saddlebag. There's still some spare space but we have marmalade sandwiches prepared for tomorrow's breakfast. We will get the 8.52 train to Lpoo St. We will meet Annie-not-of-this-parish off the Ipswich train and then head for Euston.