Author Topic: Western Isles, June 2012  (Read 10240 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Western Isles, June 2012
« Reply #100 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:22:25 am »
Fantastic. I will be following in your wheel tracks tonight, sadly with neither prawns nor bike (though I will borrow one of Mr Johnsons finest when I get to town - We really shouldn't call the London hire bikes Johnsons as that would lead to no end of smut..)

I hope you enjoyed the bridge, if you stayed up to watch it. It's a shame that now the work has finished there are not floodlights on it at night.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #101 on: 12 June, 2012, 11:02:48 am »
Bridge? Presumable over the Tay... I was awake, but was unaware of anything special.

The greatest irony was that after 11 dry days in the Western Isles, Jan an I have just had a drenching riding <1.5 miles home from Southend Central.

The rush-hour ride from Euston to Lpoo St was, predictably, awful but two particular incidents stand out. The first, going along London Wall, was when we were approaching the lane-reducing road works and were squeezed out by an Addison Lee driver. He stopped at the Moorgate lights and as I pulled alongside I thumped his driver's window very hard indeed. The way he ducked and cringed was absolutely fantastic, followed by "Don't you fucking hit my car!" to which I responded "Don't fucking try to run us over then." I think the adrenaline rush he got from that incident will probably be with him all morning.  ;D

The second was as we approached Fenchurch Street (we save over £10 using Fench St. To Sou. Cen). Jan had decided to walk for a bit, largely due to the shell-shock of having just survived 3 miles of rush-hour London, and someone tried to nick her Ortlieb pannier. She whacked his hand and he ran off. From now on, a bungee will be posted through the quick-release handles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #102 on: 12 June, 2012, 11:12:10 am »
Jan had decided to walk for a bit, largely due to the shell-shock of having just survived 3 miles of rush-hour London, and someone tried to nick her Ortlieb pannier. She whacked his hand and he ran off. From now on, a bungee will be posted through the quick-release handles.

Unbelievable  >:(

Glad you made it back in one piece.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #103 on: 12 June, 2012, 11:22:59 am »
The greatest irony was that after 11 dry days in the Western Isles, Jan an I have just had a drenching riding <1.5 miles home from Southend Central.

Sounds familiar - I had much the same last Thursday.  2 weeks, Western Isles, not a drop.  Bit of drizzle on the penultimate day around Inverness.  Then thoroughly soaked in a downpour riding the 10 miles home from Kendal station.

« Reply #104 on: 12 June, 2012, 01:33:50 pm »
I'd be quite happy to pay if it took the stress out of travelling with a bike (by reservations actually meaning something).

This, this, a thousand times this...I really detest the stress that getting a bike on a train can bring. It really puts me off to be honest. It has felt like a luxury not having to worry about bikes, doing my recent train-assisted walks. I was more than happy to buy a ticket for my bike in the Netherlands, but people still sat in the bike spaces when there was no need and not all of the trains had spaces anyway.

Looking forward to reading the full report as ever, Wow. Sorry to hear about the almost-stolen Ortlieb, I shall be careful next time I use mine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 12 June, 2012, 02:15:06 pm »
someone tried to nick her Ortlieb pannier. She whacked his hand and he ran off. From now on, a bungee will be posted through the quick-release handles.

>:(

A good argument for not using simple hook-on or Ortlieb-style quick release panniers for commuting, at least not without additional attachments (I often cross the closure straps of the two Ortliebs over across the rear rack, joining them together).

The Altura push-button release seems like a better choice security-wise if you're using a single pannier, as it's almost as quick, but requires two hands and a little more fiddliness to remove.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #106 on: 12 June, 2012, 02:17:01 pm »
Bridge. The Bridge. The Bridge is the one over the Forth. You will have crossed it at about 00:10.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #107 on: 12 June, 2012, 02:56:16 pm »
someone tried to nick her Ortlieb pannier. She whacked his hand and he ran off. From now on, a bungee will be posted through the quick-release handles.

>:(

A good argument for not using simple hook-on or Ortlieb-style quick release panniers for commuting, at least not without additional attachments (I often cross the closure straps of the two Ortliebs over across the rear rack, joining them together).

The Altura push-button release seems like a better choice security-wise if you're using a single pannier, as it's almost as quick, but requires two hands and a little more fiddliness to remove.

An even better argument for carrying a 357 Smith & Wesson.   Scumbag >:(

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #108 on: 12 June, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
Wowbagger, Mrs Wowbagger, Mrs Pingu & Annie:

IMG_0419 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #109 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:52:06 pm »
Photos.

Report to follow when I've got time/am not knackered.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #110 on: 13 June, 2012, 10:11:23 pm »
My snaps from Thursday afternoons ride out to meet Wowbagger and Jan

The Wowbaggers by windy_, on Flickr

touring essentials by windy_, on Flickr

Wowbagger by windy_, on Flickr