Author Topic: Coast to Coast:: Whitehaven to Tynemouth  (Read 27327 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Coast to Coast:: Whitehaven to Tynemouth
« Reply #100 on: 06 July, 2012, 09:17:32 am »
I'm not sure about that weather. It's raining hard 10 miles south of you (on my office)

Good luck :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LEE

« Reply #101 on: 06 July, 2012, 11:25:35 am »
Rain Radar currently indicating that a serious band of rain is blowing east to west on, or just south of, Hartlepool.  Anywhere north of Hartlepool seems clear for a few hours but it could get bad south of there..  That could be bad news for Whitehaven though as it sits right on that line.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #102 on: 07 July, 2012, 08:46:03 am »
Just a few showers yesterday to dampen our enthusiasm at the start but as we rolled through the lakes, the route itself brightened the day with a mix of old railways, quiet lanes and some fine views.

Sadly, the inclement weather put paid to our ambitions of the Old  Coach road so we opted for the C2C route along side the A66, with stop offs at pubs along the way to Penrith.

Another good hotel near Langwrathby last night with a grand selection of single malts to send us to the land of nod.

Off to Consett today.

H

« Reply #103 on: 07 July, 2012, 12:35:12 pm »
Be interesting to know what Consett is like now.  Last century it was basically a steel-works but I expect that's all gone.  Don't forget to get a photo for the album sleeve "Hummers Live In Consett".

Hummers

« Reply #104 on: 08 July, 2012, 06:09:31 am »
Another grand day yesterday with plenty of fine, no superb views at the top of long steady climbs over the Pennines. Only about 50 miles covered which compared to two weeks ago is the equivalent to just one stage of the Mille Alba but it is odd how you can adjust to stopping at 3 cafes and a pub for 3 pints on the way as part of a daily routine. We met two chaps riding the whole thing in one go and not a jot of envy passed through me; there's too much to see and enjoy to rush this ride. As it was dry, we tried a couple of the off-road sections; the best being the spectacular climb up the last hill of the entire route to the old station (and cafe - have forgotten the name - Parkhead?) at the start of the Waskerly Way cyclepath. The cafe does accomodation but as there was no beer, we decided to press on however they do offer a variety of puddings and are well worth a visit.

We have been meeting a cross section of cycling groups on the way (one consisting of 30 cyclists) and most remember our group due to the bottle of McQuigan Shiraz in my bottle holder. Pretty much all of them stopped at Allenheads at the pub where the landlord has something of a grim reputation. I can see how he could rub people up the wrong way but we found him to be OK (if quirky) and to be fair,  whilst loads of cyclists were stopping there, we were the only ones drinking beer (our daily 3 pints) which must hack him off. One woman cyclist was being particulary demanding and I could see that this sort of interaction with him was going to get her nowhere. They don't do food during the daytime so we went to the local cafe which seemed pretty disorganised but did a superb meat pie with chips and peas.

The stop over last night was at a bunkhouse at Hownsgill farm which is just outside of Consett. Although we had heard grim stories about this as well (cold showers etc), it was tip top. According to the visitors log, this was also used by the FNRttC crew on their recent ride London to JoG which was a pleasant surprise plus there is a cafe across the yard that serves breakfast from 9 this morning. We got some wine in (given a lift down by the landlord) and ordered a takeaway set meal which was delivered to the bunkhouse and defeated the lot of us.

Consett itself was built on the success of ironstone but 140 years of prosperity came to an abrupt end in 1980. The feeling of a part of the world still in shock and trying to recover are tangible but the warm welcome we have received everywhere gives you hope for the north-east/west's recovery.

It's our last stretch to Sunderland today with a roast dinner booked at the Mad Hatter tea room. Spiffy.

H

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #105 on: 08 July, 2012, 09:18:26 am »
Ah the bunkhouse. Did you order one of the chinese fixed meals by any chance? We couldn't get through one of those when we stayed there.

That viaduct just before the bunkhouse was pretty spectacular too.

Looks like the weather so far has been kind to you :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Hummers

« Reply #106 on: 08 July, 2012, 07:59:22 pm »
Yes, the viaduct was an impressive and unexpected piece of engineering on the cycle path into Consett.

The weather was a bit iffy today and although it was only 28 mIles to Sunderland, it felt like hard work following the cycle path. Still, it came good in the last 4 miles on the side of the river into now deserted dock sides that have been made over. We were going quite quickly which was a shame as there was a lot to take in. I would have liked to have spenf more time there but as with Consett, you are left with the feeling that you are chasing ghosts of an industrialised past (on a bike).

We finished the expedition with lunch at the Mad Hatter, Seaburn, which was a superb end to a great 3 day expedition.

I like to think I will return to start from Workington and ride to Tynemouth but that wouldn't be until 2 years time at least.

H

Hummers

« Reply #107 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:29:35 am »
And now for some pretty poor quality pictures....

The Mad Hatter tearooms, Seaburn near Sunderland:

Loaded with essential supplies for the journey ahead:

Trying not to dip the whole bike and myself in the oggin:

Hartside cafe:

"Welcome to Northumberland - You may never leave"

Off-road:

Making a bit of an exhibition:

Fin:

H

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #108 on: 09 July, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »
A cracking few days sampling the delights of the North and perhaps the best of the weather over the weekend.

A few images for now

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blazer72/sets/72157630493563804/

and hopefully some narrative to follow shortly,

Hummers

« Reply #109 on: 09 July, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »
That picture of Neil at the start of Day 2 says it all  ;D

H

« Reply #110 on: 10 July, 2012, 03:32:30 pm »
looks like you had fun  ;D that lake in pic 2 ...it is bassenthwaite lake..:-).. that from the drop down from whinlatter where the ice cream van is  :thumbsup:

« Reply #111 on: 10 July, 2012, 03:37:25 pm »
 the best being the spectacular climb up the last hill of the entire route to the old station (and cafe - have forgotten the name - Parkhead?) at the start of the Waskerly Way cyclepath. The cafe does accomodation but as there was no beer, we decided to press on however they do offer a variety of puddings and are well worth a visit.

hey hummers ....we stayed there on our c2c....our last night had lots of beer when we were there .. ;D it is a great place comfy and the food was excellent ;D just what you need after that little bit of a drag up.. ;)

larry

if you have any spare cash it,s up for sale  :thumbsup: