Author Topic: Coast to Coast:: Whitehaven to Tynemouth  (Read 27326 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: Coast to Coast:: Whitehaven to Tynemouth
« Reply #50 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:57:26 am »
I did the C2C in three days a few years ago but I was camping so can't help with accommodation.

I'm a Geordie so I couldn't countenance finishing in S*nderland which aside from it being a sh!thole would mean not riding along the Quayside at Newcastle which is magnificent. OK the section after that down to North Shields is very urban but it's still better than the dark place.

I can highly recommend The Crown Posada pub just off The Quayside for post-ride/pre-train drinking.
a great mind thinks alike

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #51 on: 21 February, 2012, 01:16:59 pm »
I can highly recommend The Crown Posada pub just off The Quayside for post-ride/pre-train drinking.

+1 to that, a must visit every time I go to the Toon.

<wanders off to memories of nights in the Crown Posada followed by Trillians and the Mayfair>
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #52 on: 21 February, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »
OK, thanks for the inside knowledge on the environs of Geordieland.

The Quayside at Newcastle is the way forwards then. It will mean a ride back to the train station but this is hardly likely to be a problem.

H

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #53 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »
The Quayside is nice. It can get a bit busy though, we rode through there on a Saturday lunchtime and it was quite slow going.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #54 on: 22 February, 2012, 09:07:31 am »
<wanders off to memories of nights in the Crown Posada followed by Trillians and the Mayfair>

/Is afraid

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #55 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:41:16 am »
The Quayside is nice. It can get a bit busy though, we rode through there on a Saturday lunchtime and it was quite slow going.

When I did my C2C I was lucky enough to be riding along the Quayside early on a Saturday evening. The lovely Geordie lasses wearing very little clothing were more than a sightseeing match for the wonderful bridges and architecture.

Anyway why would you want to ride along there quickly? it's a smashing location, take your time and take it all in, engage with the locals - that's what touring's all about.
a great mind thinks alike

Hummers

« Reply #56 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:24:23 am »
Anyway why would you want to ride along there quickly? it's a smashing location, take your time and take it all in, engage with the locals - that's what touring's all about.

:thumbsup:

H

« Reply #57 on: 03 March, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »
Cheers Larry.

H
just a thought hummers you  might find this site great also .. ;D  http://c2c.freeforums.org/

Hummers

« Reply #58 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:30:58 pm »
Cheers Larry.

H
just a thought hummers you  might find this site great also .. ;D  http://c2c.freeforums.org/

Hold on.....

Who's this?

Is she a cyclist?  ???

H

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #59 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »
a saddle bag?

IGMC

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #60 on: 05 March, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »
Hmmmmm...

The next pub is at Rookhead and I wonder if anyone has stayed there (or nearby).

We are also looking at Penrith for the first night of the ride - any suggestions of where is good to stay appreciated.

H

It's going back a while but I stayed at the pub in Rookhope and was not made to feel very welcome. The landlord took some persuading to let me put my bike in the barn and spent the first half hour moaning about the fact that "they" had spent all this money on the C2C route and he hadn't seen much extra business.  Breakfast the next day was dire too.

Just past Penrith there's a village called (IIRC) Newton.  It's close to Greystokes.  The pub there was a good place to stop for the night. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Hummers

« Reply #61 on: 05 March, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »
Thanks for the tip off m'dear.

H

Redlight

« Reply #62 on: 06 March, 2012, 07:58:43 pm »
Just had a quick look on the map and it's Newton Reigny, just before Penrith.  Another thought, it's a bit of a loop but just north of Rookhope, Blanchland is worth a diversionary visit.  You can come back via Edmundbyers and pick up the official route easily enough.

All in all, it's a cracking ride, until you get to Consett.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #63 on: 06 March, 2012, 08:03:12 pm »

/Is afraid

And so you should be.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Hummers

« Reply #64 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:15:33 am »
Just had a quick look on the map and it's Newton Reigny, just before Penrith.  Another thought, it's a bit of a loop but just north of Rookhope, Blanchland is worth a diversionary visit.  You can come back via Edmundbyers and pick up the official route easily enough.

All in all, it's a cracking ride, until you get to Consett.

Oh. Following the negative comments about almost everywhere else, we have looked at pushing on to here
 to stay.

Plus it's not too far the next day to the train stations.

H

« Reply #65 on: 07 March, 2012, 09:54:49 am »
I would stay at Park Head Station, its a B&B rather than a pub but it's a cracking place, a bit eccentric, but a cracking place never the less. It  doesnt have beer on tap but I am pretty sure the owner would sort out a selection of the regions finest if you asked him nicely. Its right at the start of the Waskerley Way so all downhill to Tynemouth.

This place does a grand selection of bottled beers

http://www.wylambrewery.co.uk/

as does this one

http://www.petersen-stainless.co.uk/blb/brewery.html

or you could just stick with having a a few bottles of "dog"   ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Brown_Ale

« Reply #66 on: 07 March, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »
I did the Rievers Route and c2c back to back a couple of years ago.   The Rievers is slightly longer but, in my opinion, is more enjoyable than the c2c.   You also have, if time allows, the opportunity to ride the lake shore round at Kielder.   On the c2c, I stayed in a very good b&b in Braithwaite, at the eastern foot of the Whinlatter Pass, good pub in the village too but a bit pricey.

One of the highlights of the Rievers is the pub in Hesleth Newmarket with it's own brewery :)

They've been doing quite a lot of work on the Waskerley Way and the rougher parts are now much improved.   If you wish, you can cut out the Crawleyside incline by taking the off road route up the track from Rookhope.   The first bit is quite steep and you'll have to push but it's not too long.   There is another very rough bit leading to the Park Head station but you can loop around on the road to avoid that.

Redlight

« Reply #67 on: 07 March, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »
Meant to say: I think I still have my copy of the C2C guide and a load of OS maps somewhere in the loft.  If you'd like them, PM me your address and I'll stick then in the post

« Reply #68 on: 09 March, 2012, 06:10:52 pm »
T

I'd recommend stopping at the ice cream van in the viewing area just after the top of Whinlatter pass. If nothing else there's a good view from the layby over Bassenthwaite Lake.quote]  ;Dthis one mcshroom

Hummers

« Reply #69 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:23:35 pm »

H

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #70 on: 11 March, 2012, 12:40:53 pm »
That would be the one :)

(can't find my pictures of that in the sun at the moment)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #71 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:23:43 pm »
That would be the one :)

(can't find my pictures of that in the sun at the moment)

true it looks better in the sun...but alas it was damp daybut still fun (not sure g/f thought so) ;D

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #72 on: 14 March, 2012, 04:49:21 pm »
Hummers, I'll start to do a list of recommend stops and get some prices and availability to put to the Devon contingent.

Hummers

« Reply #73 on: 14 March, 2012, 11:53:40 pm »
Hummers, I'll start to do a list of recommend stops and get some prices and availability to put to the Devon contingent.

However, I suggest you JFDI as there is scant interest in what we are doing and this will lead to adventure.

H

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #74 on: 16 March, 2012, 11:31:08 am »
Some great suggestions and special thanks to loafer :thumbsup: for the link to c2c-guide.co.uk.

For anyone else interested:

First night (pre start) - Manor House Inn, St Bees
Second night - Eden Hall Country Hotel, Langwathby
Third night - Hownsgill Bunk House, Consett

;)