Author Topic: Manchester evening ride - Tuesday 11th April '17  (Read 11536 times)

Re: Manchester evening ride - Tuesday 19th May '15
« Reply #75 on: 16 May, 2015, 10:16:26 am »
Cool. What time at the Premier Inn?
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #76 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:06:50 am »
Hi. Can I tag along tomorrow evening?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #77 on: 18 May, 2015, 04:42:27 pm »
The more the merrier. And ...

6:30 at the Premier Inn.

« Reply #78 on: 18 May, 2015, 04:48:57 pm »
Cheers. See you 6:30 at the Premier Inn.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #79 on: 18 May, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »
Sorry about the late acceptance to the party, I'll be at Chorlton Water Park at 1850. Look forward to catching up again, in more than one sense.

« Reply #80 on: 18 May, 2015, 11:33:52 pm »
Apologies. Was really looking forward to this but child care needs have intervened. Enjoy
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

Oscar's dad

« Reply #81 on: 19 May, 2015, 11:57:41 pm »
A very pleasent evening - thanks chaps!

No photos this time, we missed an opportunity with the George Osbourne billboard! 

Hopefully I'll be up again soon.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #82 on: 20 May, 2015, 06:56:15 am »
Yes, great evening, good to ride with you all, even the rain held off for the most part, but boy, it's chilly for mid May.
As we passed the "vote George Osborne" placard I sensed that we all silently offered up thanksgiving to the Lord that the population saw sense on voting day.
Was shown a new track by AndrewBr, which, given that I only live a few miles away, is quite handy.

Kudos to 504steve, he had a long ride home after the pub stop, I only had a mile to do from there and I suspect I was fast asleep before he got home.

See you all again.

« Reply #83 on: 20 May, 2015, 10:05:07 am »
Many thanks guys. Great company, great route (credit to Andrew Br), good meal and a couple of pints, excellent evening.

I'll hopefully join you again next time your up this way again Oscar's dad.

Cheers.

« Reply #84 on: 20 May, 2015, 04:33:29 pm »
Puncture and bike woes aside, that was a lovely trip out. Let's not mention the weather*.
It was great to see OD and TEC again and to meet 504steve. Kudos for coming on the ride and then going home 504  :thumbsup:.

The bike is back in the shop being further fettled today.
The mechanic is rather perplexed by why the chain keeps coming off at the front. He quickly spotted that I'd got the rack the wrong side of the rear cable (the rack mounts onto the QR so I'd disturbed it when I was fixing the puncture). I think (hope) that's what was throwing the indexing out.

Hope to see you all again soon.

* Damn.

ETA 'cos these things are important: Spitfire x2. Better than I remembered it and the Gourmet Burger (sic) was good but way too big.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #85 on: 21 May, 2015, 09:26:30 am »
Just been thinking (yes, it happens occasionally), the next time I come up we must have another go at eating at the Vale Cottage.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #86 on: 21 May, 2015, 10:08:00 am »

The mechanic is rather perplexed by why the chain keeps coming off at the front.

This happened on my folder. Took me ages to figure out why.. then I realised that since I had downsized the chainring and installed a rear drerailleur with a shorter cage, the chain was too long. A link removed. No more putting-the-chain-back-on-with-a-stick.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #87 on: 21 May, 2015, 01:09:22 pm »
Sorry I missed it now . . .

BTW I'm glad that the loan wheel worked out, the last time I lent someone a wheel the rim exploded!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #88 on: 21 May, 2015, 01:11:24 pm »
Sorry I missed it now . . .

BTW I'm glad that the loan wheel worked out, the last time I lent someone a wheel the rim exploded!

The loan wheel was top notch.  Andrew's route included some comedy off-roading which was not a problem, for me at least  O:-)

« Reply #89 on: 21 May, 2015, 02:30:04 pm »
......... we must have another go at eating at the Vale Cottage.

Good idea.
I'll selflessly volunteer to have a ride out there sometime and check the beer and the food.

Conjuring up a ride that's more than about 20 miles is a bit of a task if the Vale is the destination.
I suppose we could detour via Middle Eastlands so you can have your picture taken outside the other football ground.
The National Cycling Centre is also out there  :thumbsup:.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #90 on: 21 May, 2015, 02:32:03 pm »
^^^  :thumbsup:   :-*

Oscar's dad

Re: Manchester evening ride - Tuesday 11th April '17
« Reply #91 on: 05 April, 2017, 09:22:17 am »
Chaps, next Tuesday evening (11th) I find myself staying at The Village Hotel, Cheadle (SK8 1HW) which doesn't appear to be far from some of the roads we have ridden on previous Manchester based rides.  Anyone fancy meeting up for a spin?

« Reply #92 on: 05 April, 2017, 07:47:57 pm »
Apologies for the late reply OD.
Sadly, I'm out, I'm working a late shift that evening.
Your hotel is on my (bike) commute so, if I ride in, I'll be passing by at about 23.30 on my way home.
16.00 start the following day so I'll be up for a night cap if your company you're paying  ;D.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #93 on: 06 April, 2017, 01:10:15 am »
Looooong day in Sheffield for me on the 11th. have fun,win awards.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #94 on: 07 April, 2017, 08:15:52 am »
i'm going up to manchester today for 11 nights so available to cycle in the area. every morning free till midday. mon 10th and tues 11th free whole day so up for anything anywhere.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #95 on: 07 April, 2017, 08:58:01 am »
i'm going up to manchester today for 11 nights so available to cycle in the area. every morning free till midday. mon 10th and tues 11th free whole day so up for anything anywhere.

Smashing.  Traffic permitting I should be ready to ride by 6:30pm.  Where would you like to meet?

« Reply #96 on: 08 April, 2017, 04:36:51 am »
i dont really know manchester. i am staying in prestwich just off new bury road at fairways lodge so if it doesnt matter to you as close as possible to me would be nice  :thumbsup: pub and food available here as well

Oscar's dad

« Reply #97 on: 08 April, 2017, 04:53:36 pm »
i dont really know manchester. i am staying in prestwich just off new bury road at fairways lodge so if it doesnt matter to you as close as possible to me would be nice  :thumbsup: pub and food available here as well

I don't really know Manchester either!  All the riding I have done in the area has been on the south side with native guides from yacf (accounts up thread).  You're on the north side of the city centre, I'm staying on the south side.  I don't mind riding up to you and then we freestyle it from there.  I'm going to need something to eat as well.

« Reply #98 on: 10 April, 2017, 08:29:29 am »
food served here till 9:30pm; what time were you wanting to start? did you want to eat en route or at the end? i am off tomorrow as well so depending on what time you want to meet i will go out in the morning and return then. good excuse for extra miles

Oscar's dad

« Reply #99 on: 12 April, 2017, 07:50:44 am »

Me and jayteezim met up yesterday evening and had a great time.  As neither of us know the Manchester area and were staying on opposite sides of the city our route options were something of a lucky dip. 

I opted to ride north through the city centre to 'zim's hotel, whoever is responsible for Manchester's cycling infrastructure (such as it is  ::-)  ) really ought to get on their bike to see what challenges face cyclists in Manchester: cycle lanes stopping and starting at random, dreadful road surfaces, woeful signage to name just a few.  Anyhow, an hour later I got to 'zim and we set off for a 14 mile loop.  After a tasty steak dinner and couple of pints I set off back to Cheadle.

All in all a very good evening, thanks 'zim  :thumbsup: