Linked Events

• Friday night Oxford-London, 17th August 2012: 17 August, 2012 - 18 August, 2012

Author Topic: Friday night Oxford-London, 17th August 2012  (Read 9095 times)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Friday night Oxford-London, 17th August 2012
« Reply #50 on: 16 August, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »
What the hell, I've

a) been thinking of upping my game a bit, and

b) wanting to meet some more of you lot

for ages. Count me in, if you'll have me. What do I need to do (apart from be there at midnight, of course)?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #51 on: 16 August, 2012, 09:26:38 pm »
Have a bike that will manage 100km (which is exactly what it is, although I never intended it that way).  It is too cold at night to mess about fixing flats*, gears that won't shift** and loose mudguards, so it would be appreciated if everyone would bring reliable kit, even if that means doing what I did on the Dun Run and riding a frankenfixie with Marathon Plus tyres.

There are some HARD hills that would trouble a TdF peloton, although the majority of the route mileage is actually flat.

Bale-out options involve waiting for the first train of the morning, which is about 0550 from Beaconsfield and probably considerably later from little places like Seer Green or Saunderton.  Better options than on the Dun Run, but you might die of hypothermia before the station opens.

* four last time, including a complete tyre disintegration
** OK, that was me once
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #52 on: 16 August, 2012, 09:58:57 pm »
Have a bike that will manage 100km (which is exactly what it is, although I never intended it that way).  It is too cold at night to mess about fixing flats*, gears that won't shift** and loose mudguards, so it would be appreciated if everyone would bring reliable kit, even if that means doing what I did on the Dun Run and riding a frankenfixie with Marathon Plus tyres.

There are some HARD hills that would trouble a TdF peloton, although the majority of the route mileage is actually flat.

Bale-out options involve waiting for the first train of the morning, which is about 0550 from Beaconsfield and probably considerably later from little places like Seer Green or Saunderton.  Better options than on the Dun Run, but you might die of hypothermia before the station opens.

** OK, that was me once

Understood. The bike's always been solid for me, and I might have to catch up a bit after some of the really steep stuff but I've seen the route a few posts up and a total of 500m climbing should be ok.

« Reply #53 on: 16 August, 2012, 10:29:40 pm »

** OK, that was me once

Sage words.
If it's warm n' sunny there's a chance I might see you in Paulo's for brekky  :)

« Reply #54 on: 16 August, 2012, 10:35:45 pm »
Just confirming that I'm intending to be on the ride.

« Reply #55 on: 16 August, 2012, 11:35:07 pm »
OK, late arrival to the party due to being slightly earlier back from vacation.

So, me and Freewheeler Vicky intend to be there, I need to confirm details with Vicky in the morning, but AFAIK she'll be along with reliable bike and legs.
I've not ridden much over the last few weeks, so am likely to be a bit tardy over the uphill bits ... as usual but am happy to lead the charge into Londinium  :-[

Weather looks especially peachy!

Right, time to put the lantern on charge and hopefully see you all just before midnight  ;D

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #56 on: 17 August, 2012, 10:11:39 am »
50/50 I can make it along. All depends on cute 2 year old bundle of love we are babysitting. If she falls fast asleep and Mrs B OK to help her dream sweet dreams I'll hack it into Oxford and join the fun. Will be a last minute call though.
Take it as a no, if I'm not there before midnight, I'll try and let Fab Foodie/Freewheelers know one way of another.

« Reply #57 on: 17 August, 2012, 10:28:29 am »
50/50 I can make it along. All depends on cute 2 year old bundle of love we are babysitting. If she falls fast asleep and Mrs B OK to help her dream sweet dreams I'll hack it into Oxford and join the fun. Will be a last minute call though.
Take it as a no, if I'm not there before midnight, I'll try and let Fab Foodie/Freewheelers know one way of another.
Fingers crossed  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #58 on: 17 August, 2012, 11:13:43 am »
If you're slightly late you can probably catch us up.  Horspath/Wheatley/worminghall/Thame.
We stay on the main road through Horspath; there is a slightly shorter way to Wheatley but it doesn't avoid the hill.

rogerzilla

« Reply #59 on: 17 August, 2012, 12:04:09 pm »
Forecast is for a minimum of 18 deg C.  This is going to be like 2010, when we had breakfast outside.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #60 on: 17 August, 2012, 12:09:47 pm »
If you're slightly late you can probably catch us up.  Horspath/Wheatley/worminghall/Thame.
We stay on the main road through Horspath; there is a slightly shorter way to Wheatley but it doesn't avoid the hill.

Bear in mind that roger sets off like a bear with a firework clenched between his buttocks.
It is simpler than it looks.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #61 on: 17 August, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »
Having returned from furrin parts late last night I've made a decision to be sensible - I shall not be riding from Oxford to London tonight.  OTOH, I will ride out to meet you for breakfast.  What's the ETA at the café?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #62 on: 17 August, 2012, 12:11:35 pm »
I'd like to be there by 0630.  It doesn't always happen.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #63 on: 17 August, 2012, 12:16:05 pm »
So 05:00 departure from home - no problem.  Don't worry, if I get there early I'll start without you. ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #64 on: 17 August, 2012, 12:19:19 pm »
I'd like to be there by 0630.  It doesn't always happen.

I'll be there with my stopwatch  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: 17 August, 2012, 02:14:39 pm »
Forecast is for a minimum of 18 deg C.  This is going to be like 2010, when we had breakfast outside.

I'm looking forward to that.  Especially as it's currently pissing down.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #66 on: 17 August, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »

I'm looking forward to that.  Especially as it's currently pissing down.

Scorchio here in West London about 2 miles from our final destination
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #67 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:13:54 pm »
Yeah, looks like the rain's going to keep north of Oxford.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #68 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:27:07 pm »
Roll call suggests we have:

Roger
Foodie and Vicky with a last minute possibility of EMnut
Kim
Sgt. Pluck

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #69 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:27:36 pm »

Roger
Kim
Sgt. Pluck

And me!

« Reply #70 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:29:55 pm »

Roger
Kim
Sgt. Pluck

And me!
Had just gone back a few pages to check! 
And marcusjb

Looks like a cosy 8 ish!  Excellent.  See you at the station  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #71 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:47:21 pm »
We'll need even numbers for the paceline against that 6mph wind.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #72 on: 17 August, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »
6mph!?!?!

I'm out.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #73 on: 17 August, 2012, 04:17:44 pm »
Wind seems to be turning more westerly, which is good.

rogerzilla

« Reply #74 on: 17 August, 2012, 04:22:43 pm »
This ride actually goes ENE for quite a while.  We therefore catch a tailwind to Worminghall even when the wind is SW, which it usually is.