Author Topic: My Camino (take 2)  (Read 11226 times)

Re: My Camino (was: 26/07/12: London-Canterbury-Dover)
« Reply #25 on: 27 July, 2012, 04:06:48 pm »
You've not broken another set of handlebars?!

Seriously now, do post and let us know you're ok. Am happy to give details of that Canterbury campsite I mentioned if that would help, it's very reasonable and a nice place.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #26 on: 27 July, 2012, 04:13:29 pm »
I'm now back home in London.  I'm not injured, the bike is not damaged.

Once I calm down a bit (and get some more food and sleep) I'll post some more info.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 27 July, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »
Thanks for letting us know you're ok. Am still gutted for you  :(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 27 July, 2012, 04:28:09 pm »
Blimy, Andrij, that sounds like a most frustrating experience. Hope all is OK.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #29 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:44:17 am »
It's mostly a disaster of my own doing.

1) A bit ambitious.  My first few days were planned to be rather long, and with little room for things to go wrong.  So obviously things went wrong.

2) When using a Garmin, one should know the difference between a route and a track and all that involves.  I've used route without any problem, including when I did my test run a few weeks ago.  As I set off from my official start point I saw the purple line did not follow roads but connected points - definitely not useful on a trip like mine.  As stated up-thread, I detoured back home to recreate my routes.  Quick look showed it now followed roads, so set off back across the river and on to Canterbury.  Around Dartford the route finished.  Aargh!  I knew I could get myself to Canterbury and work out a route to Dover (I had mapped out cycle routes to the east of the A2, but decided to shadow the A2 to the west as I didn't have a detailed paper map).  I was fine as far as Barham.  At some point after that I missed a turn/took a wrong turn and found myself heading south-west toward Folkstone.*  At this point I was LOST.  Found a house near Elham and the residents pointed out how far off-course I was.  At that point the only sensible thing was to get a taxi to Dover.

I was shattered, disappointed and rather upset.  But I decided to press on to France.  Things were bound to get better, right?

3) If you copy a new map onto your Garmin make sure you can load it before you start your trip.  Friday morning I fired up my eTrex and went to load my map of France.  What map? Spain was there, France wasn't.  At this stage I had a garmin which was of no use, no way to sort it out before my scheduled ferry, insufficient paper maps to navigate a quiet route from Calais to Amiens and too much distance to cover working out a route on the fly if I could get maps on the ferry or in Calais.  So I bailed.

Getting home was an adventure.  They wouldn't let me on the train at Dover, regardless of all my begging and pleading.  I chose to start riding back toward Canterbury to try my luck (and get to familiar-ish road) rather than head straight for London.  The Canterbury decision would also give me opportunity to try other stations.  The next station north of Dover, Kearnsey, was unmanned so decided to try my luck.  Even if I got chucked off I'd save a bit of time and effort.  Train manager came around eventually, and without comment sold me a ticket to Bromley South (no way I was going to go all the way to Victoria then have to cross town).  A new manager came on at some point: he checked my ticket and made no comment. I was going to make it home!  At Bromley South someone on the platform told me off, saying "no bikes on or off trains".  Should I have been grateful he let me get off the train? ;D  Another member of staff in the ticket hall had a go at me, shouting across the room rather than coming up to me.  At this point I almost lost it, but restrained myself and said "I've completed my journey, so I don't give a toss."  I've never cycled in Bromley, so pointed myself north hoping for the best.  Once I saw signs for Lewisham and Catford I knew I'd be fine.  Except for the north lift of the Greenwich foot tunnel being out of order.  >:(  At least there weren't many people using the tunnel at that time.

Now that I've calmed down a bit I need to decide next steps.  I'm off work until 16 August, so have plenty of time.  Will try to sort out my Garmin issues, then look at trains to France, probably Bordeaux, to carry on with my Camino.

* Adam, I think this is where things went wrong on your ride to Dover a few years back.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #30 on: 28 July, 2012, 12:03:49 pm »
Oh Andrij, I'm really sorry to hear that. I really hope you can get back on the road shortly....

If you need to look for trains in France, you can use voyages-sncf.com (which is in French) to work out which trains will let you take bikes. If you put in where you want to go from and to and when And the click on "horaires seuls" it will show you the various options and if the train can take a bike, there will be a little bike icon displayed.

It took me a while to get my head around tracks, routes, track points and route points and way points and how to use them. I've got to a point where I've got my garmin working the way I want but am still not convinced I *really* know how to use it!

Good luck!

« Reply #31 on: 28 July, 2012, 12:18:12 pm »
What Pippa said.
I just don't trust my abilities with gps to rely on it in isolation. I like to produce paper route cards which I laminate and have a paper map with highlighted route. On long tours, I post maps home as I finish with them.
Good luck with getting your trip back on course (no pun intended) :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 28 July, 2012, 12:30:12 pm »
You still have plenty of time if you get yourself to Bordeaux. We did the leg Bordeaux-St Jean Pied de Port mostly on road, and for that section you may need a paper map to keep you on track, but there are signs. Once in St Jean you probably do not need any maps all the way to Fisterra as it is very well signposted both on and off road. And in case of any problems, any local will be able to help.

The albergues in the outskirts of Bordeuax and Dax are both highly recommended, especially the Dax one. May be a bit of a push Bordeaux to Dax, but it's all super flat, so should not be a problem.

Good luck!

« Reply #33 on: 28 July, 2012, 06:08:16 pm »
Oh Sh*** what a nightmare! I feel for you.

How about: Eurostar to Paris and start from there? I know you don't want to bag your bike, but I think they will accept with just the  handlebars swung round and a bit of plastic or cardboard that can be ditched when you get to Paris.

Add a cheapo road atlas for France to back up the gps, as Alberto says you won't need a map in Spain as long as you have a list of albergues, if you don't have one already they will give you in St Jean. If you go off route in Spain, the locals will soon stop you and point you in the right direction!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #34 on: 28 July, 2012, 07:28:12 pm »
Andrij, on the GPS issue, is it worth a separate post in the GPS thread for guidance? The process has been outlined before, but essentially you need both a track and a route, and for longer rides it will be necessary (to stay within the device limits) for the route to be off-road. But in combination with a track this works well.

If you need a hand with that I am willing to try, although I am somewhat HCx-rusty and there are those who know a lot more.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #35 on: 28 July, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »
Rotten news. Garmins can indeed be a PITA- I've mostly got the hang of my Edge 705, but still make cock-ups fairly regularly.

Best of luck for the restart.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #36 on: 28 July, 2012, 08:02:28 pm »
So it's even more complicated than I thought?  OK, will post something on the GPS board (unless someone can find a link before I post).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 29 July, 2012, 05:15:13 pm »
Gah!  Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and hope you can get beyond it to achieve your aim.  The whole point of pilgrimage is that it should be a difficult journey.

I PMd you before finding this thread, btw.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #38 on: 29 July, 2012, 05:17:08 pm »
And I replied before I saw your post.  ::-)

;D

Andrij

• Андрій
Let's try this again
« Reply #39 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:06:31 am »
Yesterday I sorted out my Garmin issues thanks to the lovely folk on this forum.  :-*

Today I've booked a Eurostar ticket to Paris then a TGV down to Bordeaux for tomorrow.  There's room for my bike on tomorrow's Eurostar (05:45! departure) and I've reserved a spot on the TGV - no bagging involved. :)  The only downside is the cargo office at St. Pancras doesn't open until 07:00 so I have to drop my bike off some time before 22:00 today, necessitating a taxi for me and my panniers tomorrow morning.  I could take night buses, but don't want the hassle and risk.

I've not saved any money being home for a few days, but at this point I don't care.  I've started, so I'll finish.  O:-)

My tracker will be on tomorrow, mainly because I want to see what it looks like having zoomed across France by train. :)

Re: My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #40 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:07:40 am »
 :thumbsup:    Hope you have a wonderful journey.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #41 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:08:56 am »
Good luck!

« Reply #42 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:10:33 am »
All the best, Andrij :)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #43 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:21:05 am »
Good luck Andrejers and ten out of ten for your perseverance.

One point which I'm sure you've allocated for: do you have enough batteries for this Garmin, or do you have a reliable recharging facility. I don't own one, but just asking to be helpful.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #44 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:24:04 am »
Good Luck Andrij - have a great time!
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #45 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:28:33 am »
Oh good! Am glad you are getting back on track. I know nothing about the black art of using a Garmin but it sounds like you're sorted.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #46 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:10:08 am »
Good luck Andrij!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #47 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:54:08 am »
Have a great trip!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:11:19 pm »
I hope all your difficulties are now overcome.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #49 on: 30 July, 2012, 01:22:22 pm »
Sorry to hear the first try didn't work out, Andrij, that must have been very disappointing and frustrating. I hope this time it works out fine for you as a journey in all ways. Looking forward to seeing some photos of you and bike at various points along the path!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.