Author Topic: My Camino (take 2)  (Read 11227 times)

Re: My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #75 on: 08 August, 2012, 06:33:10 pm »
Don't miss Knight Templar Tomas of Manjarin (lives on the mountain shortly before Ponferrada). Many people are so startled they pass by as fast as they can  ;D
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #76 on: 10 August, 2012, 08:03:56 pm »
In the Pyrenees I climbed to over 1,000m. Yesterday went over 1,500; today 'only' 1,300 - but tomorrow' penultimate stage is supposedly the toughest.

Can someone arrange for new legs for me in Santiago? That, or a mobility scooter.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #77 on: 10 August, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #78 on: 10 August, 2012, 09:07:31 pm »
In the Pyrenees I climbed to over 1,000m. Yesterday went over 1,500; today 'only' 1,300 - but tomorrow' penultimate stage is supposedly the toughest.

Can someone arrange for new legs for me in Santiago? That, or a mobility scooter.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body. Beer might help  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #79 on: 10 August, 2012, 09:35:14 pm »
Zimmer frame?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #80 on: 11 August, 2012, 09:56:52 am »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/aug/10/family-cycling-santiago-spain

Having your luggage carried for you is cheating  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #81 on: 11 August, 2012, 02:02:51 pm »

Pairofknees?
Well done, that (breathless) man :thumbsup:

« Reply #82 on: 11 August, 2012, 02:51:14 pm »

Spain is the second most mountainous country in Europe, trufax.

No, but you can have a few of these:

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #83 on: 11 August, 2012, 05:16:15 pm »
Andrij, where are you headed from Santander? If it's Portsmouth are you cycling back to London or getting the train?

We are about 20 miles north of Pompey, would be good to meet up if possible.

Andrij

• Андрій
My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #84 on: 11 August, 2012, 06:21:24 pm »
andrewc, I'm now less than200km from Santiago - it's easy to spot those using assistance. I shan't comment here, but will give my view in my write-up. (Been keeping a journal, but not yet decided what form my 'ride report' will take.)

Clare, my original plan was ferry to Portsmouth then TRAIN back to London but couldn't get a spot on the ferry. Instead I'm coming back via Plymouth. Would have been nice to meet up.

Tomorrow is my last day of cycling. I'm focusing on the finish and ignoring the guide book's comment "there are so many arduous hills".  Overall, tomorrow is downhill, but only in His Leggship's 'there are no more hills' sort of way.

I now need food and maybe strong drink.

« Reply #85 on: 11 August, 2012, 08:25:43 pm »
A you have not actually said if you are enjoying yourself?  ; ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Andrij

• Андрій
My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #86 on: 12 August, 2012, 08:39:00 am »
Immensely. There's a lot going on in my head this trip - been a few downs, but lots of ups. Don't think I've ever grinned do much on a bike.

Glad I have a few days being transported back to the UK during which I can begin to reflect on it all.

« Reply #87 on: 12 August, 2012, 08:43:40 am »
That sounds good.  What's the food been like ?  I enjoy eating at Spanish restaurants but have never cycled in Spain!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #88 on: 12 August, 2012, 10:31:02 am »
Clare, my original plan was ferry to Portsmouth then TRAIN back to London but couldn't get a spot on the ferry. Instead I'm coming back via Plymouth. Would have been nice to meet up.

That's a shame, we'll have to visit that London again soon. It's a nice train line from Plymouth to Exeter, views of Dartmoor first then clinging to the coast around Dawlish.

Andrij

• Андрій
My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #89 on: 12 August, 2012, 01:26:34 pm »
I've made it to Santiago!  Took the scenic route to the cathedral, then some more scenery finding the pilgrim's office. Now checked in to the rather luxurious Parador and unwinding a bit before I venture back amongst the throngs.

« Reply #90 on: 12 August, 2012, 03:22:22 pm »
Cool, well done!

Andrij

• Андрій
My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #91 on: 12 August, 2012, 09:14:14 pm »
I've wined, dined, and wined some more (hope don't wake up with wine flu tomorrow ;) ).

It's been an amazing trip. In some ways not all I had hoped for, in others beyond my expectations.

I've taken over 1,000 pics (I think) and written 1-4 pages of A5 each day. It will take me a while to go through it all, and I still have time left (home evening of 16/08), so more pics and writing to come. I'll post some teaser pics and and general overview in Ride Reports, but details will take some time. I'll probably not post all on yacf, but I need to work it all out before I decide.

I had considered cycling out to Padrón (where St. James is said to have landed) as it's only 20km each way. Unless I wake up at stupid o'clock, I'll spend the entire day in Santiago.

As I don't have time to cycle to Finisterre I can't cut my hair (not that there's much to cut) nor can I burn my shoes (my sandals are probably classified as a biohazard), so instead tomorrow morning I shall shave off two week's of facial hair.

Could probably write more but find posting via my Touch to be a bit of a PITA (which explains all the typos).

Andrij

• Андрій
My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #92 on: 13 August, 2012, 07:52:33 pm »
Spent a fair bit of the day walking around Santiago playing tourist (in spite of most places being closed), covered at least 10km. After a late lunch (mid-afternoon went back to my room and crashed out, not moving again until 7-ish. I think the tour is catching up with me.

Finishing the night with a cocktail or two in the hotel bar, then will pack for an early start tomorrow. Train to A Coruña leaves just before 9, the I'll kill an hour or so (maybe by cycling) before my train to Ferrol where I'll have the rest of the day to chill. Wednesday is two trains across the north coast (very scenic) then the overnight ferry to Plymouth and train back to London.

At the moment I'm dreading cycling in the UK again, having done so many kilometres with considerate motorists. I will have to fight the temptation to take the tube home from Paddington.

Anyway, time to order a G&T and bask on pleasant memories.

« Reply #93 on: 13 August, 2012, 07:57:02 pm »
Well done mate! :thumbsup:
Missed this yesterday.
Glad you made it in the end - perseverance etc....
Take care when you venture amongst the thongs!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #94 on: 13 August, 2012, 08:12:38 pm »
Well done, Andrij. Now to enjoy the trains!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #95 on: 13 August, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »
Missed this yesterday.

Sage advice  ;D  :P

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #96 on: 13 August, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »
Well done, Andrij!
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #97 on: 13 August, 2012, 08:26:05 pm »
Missed this yesterday.

Sage advice  ;D  :P

I feel that thongs (regardless of definition) are best removed. ;) {by hands for one, teeth for the other - the reader can decide with method goes with which definition}

Andrij

• Андрій
My Camino (take 2)
« Reply #98 on: 13 August, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »
Oh, should have mention they don't skimp on the hooch here. ;)