Author Topic: Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan  (Read 17230 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan
« Reply #50 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:40:25 pm »
I think the Philips Compact atlas would be better than the Glovebox one: according to Amazon, the Glovebox road atlas is 8 miles per inch (can't see every small road being included on that) whereas the Philips version is 3.3 miles per inch.

At 1:200000 it's half the scale of the Philips Navigator atlas and has 352 pages. The Navigator (580pp) weighs 1.6kg so logically the Compact ought to weigh about 800 grammes.

Glove box atlas weighs 266g.*
Which is less than the OS maps I sometimes carry for a day's ride.

* I have just weighed the thing.I really am becoming a sad old fart :hand:

I just weighed OS Landranger map 156, Saxmundham, "Aqua" laminated waterproof version. 146 grammes.

Perhaps your OS maps weigh more because they are of hillier areas (more rocks) and that bit of Suffolk is notorious for being eaten away by coastal erosion.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #51 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »
when riding on the Adrnamurchan peninsular last month, I got a highly appreciated hot chocolate, orange juice and cake at Ardnamurchan Natural History Centre, Acharacle about 15 miles east of the kilchoan ferry terminal.

I hope you get better weather than I did that day as I got drenched through.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:47:14 pm »
Glove box atlas weighs 266g.*
Which is less than the OS maps I sometimes carry for a day's ride.

* I have just weighed the thing.I really am becoming a sad old fart :hand:

I just weighed OS Landranger map 156, Saxmundham, "Aqua" laminated waterproof version. 146 grammes.

Perhaps your OS maps weigh more because they are of hillier areas (more rocks) and that bit of Suffolk is notorious for being eaten away by coastal erosion.

It's the corner-of-the-map rule, isn't it?  You always need about 3 Landrangers for any given ride.

Of course, if you've got an atlas covering the whole of the UK, you're logically going to find yourself in the Netherlands or something.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #53 on: 04 October, 2012, 12:10:48 am »

It's the corner-of-the-map rule, isn't it?  You always need about 3 Landrangers for any given ride.

quite so

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #54 on: 04 October, 2012, 12:20:05 am »
When do you hit York?  We can probably offer warmth and tea and caik and the use of washing machines and track pumps and some dinner and stuff....

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #55 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:24:32 am »
Well done CL for returning this topic to real assistance  for Lady C.

Guys --   she has said she already has a map, discussions about the relative weight of maps should either not even exist, or be somewhere else.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #56 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:40:11 am »
Calm down calm down with all this map talk. I've now got a map and I've got a route. Whether it will all work god knows, but I'm chilled out about it.

CrinklyLion- that is the kindest offer, thank you so much, but I'm actually meeting some running friends in York that evening for a quick spin.

I'm really looking forward to Friday, I'm not sure I've ever needed a holiday quite so much.

« Reply #57 on: 09 October, 2012, 08:38:31 am »
It's probably too late by now (been away and not seen your GPS difficulties until now) but I have a spare eTrex Vista that you could borrow for the trip - I could have it in Reading tomorrow.  PM me if this is of any help.  It has (I think; I got this one 2nd hand) OSM on the memory card.

« Reply #58 on: 09 October, 2012, 08:45:51 am »
Phil that's really kind. Everyone is being so nice! I'll be totally fine with a map though, well, actually I have made audax style directions all the way up. And I have back up maps. Who knows whether they are the right or wrong maps. What on earth could possibly go wrong?!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #59 on: 09 October, 2012, 08:48:07 am »
Will you have web access on your travels?

You know that, with YACF being such a splendid place, there's no such thing as an unsupported ride these days! ;)

« Reply #60 on: 09 October, 2012, 08:56:00 am »
Yes, I have one of these amazing iphone inventions ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #61 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:32:18 am »
Excellent! So you can keep us informed as to your progress. :thumbsup:

« Reply #62 on: 09 October, 2012, 10:28:50 pm »
CrinklyLion- that is the kindest offer, thank you so much, but I'm actually meeting some running friends in York that evening for a quick spin.

I'd urge you to reconsider declining the offer of cake from one, Crinkly Lion.
I'm assuming that you have never tasted her wares, so have no idea of what you are missing out on.

Word to the wise.
I'd strongly advise you to fit in some cake munching into your busy schedule. ;)

« Reply #63 on: 11 October, 2012, 05:18:39 pm »
I'm sure that I will be testing out a few cake establishments en route.

I am excited now. I like holidays :)

About the rain, not so much.

« Reply #64 on: 12 October, 2012, 09:12:25 pm »
Tucked up watching the footie in bed full of pizza. Nice walk along the sea :) Looking forward to riding in the morning.

« Reply #65 on: 12 October, 2012, 10:04:31 pm »
That's some pizza, if it fills up a whole bed!

Have a good'un. :thumbsup:

« Reply #66 on: 14 October, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »
Had a nice day yesterday, fairly easy 80m or so to Terribgtom St Clement.

Been into a headwind nearly all day today- really vicious at times and could hardly move forwards. Was in a big mood halfway through the day, though did enjoy fish n chips in Skegness.

Much nicer riding through the Lincolnshire Wolds this afternoon, the rain stopped, and the hills woke my legs up. Very pretty too. Carrying way too much stuff, bike is like a tractor. 90m done today.

Now tucked up in Market Rasen, off to York tomorrow.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #67 on: 16 October, 2012, 04:45:29 pm »
I suspect that today, Tuesday, has been tough - if you have been battling into the wind that we have had here in E Anglia. Enough to bring a heavily laden bike to a complete stop at times I would think.

Anyway - best wishes - keep going - epic solo ride in Oct. -  nothing less than a finish to plan please
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #68 on: 16 October, 2012, 06:41:19 pm »
I doubt you'd be so worried if you saw her on the front of the bunch into a headwind in the Fens on the last 200k of her first ever 600 like I did.

She's a tough one.

« Reply #69 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:27:41 pm »
I cannot even begin to describe the wind today. I'm traumatised!!!! Wet too, so have Bern totally frozen all day. Wind has either been in my face so I could hardly move the bike forward, or blowing me into the cars. I fell off sideways 3 times.

Was in the Yorkshire Dales so it was massively exposed- if I stopped to turn the map over I could hardly stand up. When I was in Leyburn, I didn't think I'd get to B and B before dark, but I've made it. On the top of those hills near Garsdale Head, I was actually pretty scared. But at least the stunning scenery made up for it, really is just amazing up there.

Average moving pace today 12.6mph for about 83 miles, the slowest I have ever seen ona bike ride. But I was out the saddle on the flat doing 5-6 mph at times! Unbelievable!

Got my passport ready for Scotland tomorrow. If I ever warm up, I'm still absolutely frozen.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:43:08 pm »
Mmm, yes, I know that Garsdale Head road, I was going the other way up it, fully laden, last Thursday, into the wind and rain....not much shelter is there?!  Well done you! Did you find time for Wensleydale and fruit cake?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:43:33 pm »
Average moving pace today 12.6mph for about 83 miles, the slowest I have ever seen ona bike ride.

:o

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #72 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:51:27 pm »
Average moving pace today 12.6mph

For some folk that's typical average on a day ride; with no luggage; just jogling along.

« Reply #73 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:51:59 pm »
Have had no cheese at all!!!!!! I've been done.

Fully laden obviously I'm much slower than normal anyway, but about 2mph down on the normal fully laden speed today. It's eating into my cafe time!!!! Tomorrow had better be better weather!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #74 on: 16 October, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »
Terrific roads.  I know exactly how you feel though.  Spent a week in the Dales one February, cycle camping.
Riding to Garsdale and then on to Dent was certainly an experience, through wind and snow.  I don't think I have ever put up a tent so quickly.  But you are right, the landscape makes it worth it.  And you have plenty more of that to come!  I'm wishing good weather your way.  Keep us posted when you can.  But more importantly, have a great time.