Linked Events

• Yorks Xmas ride - Saturday 15th December: 15 December, 2012

Author Topic: Yorks Xmas ride - Saturday 15th December  (Read 9725 times)

Re: Yorks Xmas ride - Saturday 15th December
« Reply #25 on: 24 November, 2012, 10:37:24 am »
I'm currently thinking about coming up for this.

Where would we be meeting in York?
Don't ask.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #26 on: 24 November, 2012, 11:55:20 am »
What's the situation at El Pubbo? Is booking food involved? and if so is it fixed food menu stuff or what?
Sprogs had Surgery that makes eating out a total No-No! Appreciate a "Heads up" on this bit please.
Assuming the destination is the same as last year, the pub's website is here: http://blacksmithsarmsnaburn.co.uk/ - past experience is that the landlord is fairly accomodating if you give him prior warning.

If people need somewhere to park, there's usually ample parking available just by where I live1 - granted, it's just outside the ring road but at least the parking is free and in a relatively fear-free neighbourhood. Further details available on request.

For jaunts like this, I usually meet people by 'The Sun' (also known as the A64 underpass) which is a largely traffic-free 3 mile ride, give or take a bit, with Naburn being a couple of miles further on.

Comedy off-road (the real stuff, not Sustrans paths) is also available on request.

1 - Here, more or less: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=456713&y=446703&z=1&sv=YO23%203TZ&st=PostCode&lu=N&tl=~&ar=y&bi=~&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #27 on: 24 November, 2012, 12:00:58 pm »
As Interzen says, check the pub website, no pre-booking of food needed but an idea of numbers is appreciated by the landlord.

Meeting place is usually the station, time TBC shortly.

Mrs T, TLD and myself will be doing the rute in reverse and will meet everyone at the Racecourse car park again, like earlier in the year.

HTH
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #28 on: 24 November, 2012, 09:47:09 pm »
Gradely :thumbsup:    Prebooking for Fud might have been an issue but it looks like the Excuses are thinning out all the time O:-)
Looking forward to escape from Lankyshire!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

tiermat

« Reply #29 on: 03 December, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »
This is a week on Saturday, might be a good time to check numbers and forwarn the pub!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #30 on: 03 December, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »
Me!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 03 December, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »
Us!
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #32 on: 03 December, 2012, 03:26:26 pm »
Forgot to say, OP now updated with those I think I know are attending, please let me know if I have missed anyone :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #33 on: 03 December, 2012, 03:48:02 pm »
I've managed to blag the preceding week off so I reckon I can upgrade myself from 'possibly' to 'definitely'. Also, I may bring Pugsley ;)

I might even be in a fit state to consume solid food by then, too1

1 - had an emergency tooth extraction today, so it's soup, ice-cream and other similarly soft stuff for the next few days at least.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #34 on: 03 December, 2012, 06:00:54 pm »
Planning to be there.  Quite possibly by bus, but one way or another!

LindaG

« Reply #35 on: 03 December, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »
Me!

tiermat

« Reply #36 on: 03 December, 2012, 07:00:58 pm »
Planning to be there.  Quite possibly by bus, but one way or another!

Just you, or you + cubs?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #37 on: 03 December, 2012, 07:05:38 pm »
+cubs :)

tiermat

« Reply #39 on: 03 December, 2012, 07:26:26 pm »
Me!

tiermat

« Reply #40 on: 07 December, 2012, 10:36:12 am »
Have emailed the pub to warn them!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #41 on: 07 December, 2012, 10:51:43 am »
Not sure I'll be hanging around for the consumption of foodstuffs, but will endeavour to come along for the ride.

tiermat

« Reply #42 on: 07 December, 2012, 12:10:23 pm »
And I have had a reply saying they will keep the tables around the fire for us :)  :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #43 on: 08 December, 2012, 11:58:45 am »
Anyone arriving by train? If so can we know the time please so we have a fixed point?  Last year (IIRC) we met at the station between 10:30 and 11:00 aiming to get to the pub for 12:00.

A new member, BuzzBuzz has asked if they can join the ride, obviously I have said yes, no problem, the more the merrier! :)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #44 on: 08 December, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »
Right....

IF there isn't any ice around, I am hoping to slow the ride down to positively glacial temperatures - although will absolutely not expect anyone to wait for me and the SmallestCub on his Cnoc 14 as he attempts his second forum ride.

Well, I sort of needed a babysitter the night before because of accidentally having a volunteer babysitter so that I could organise going to a gig and then realising that I had a Denful of visitors so making them go to the gig too and then the original babysitter having to back out but already having bought the tickets and..... well, basically, I'm outsourcing the childcare for the night to the ever marvellous CU and CA.  Who have offered to host a Cub sleepover.

And who live conveniently close (with nearly traffic free routing) to the racecourse start.  So if I can get a bike over to them, m'boys can both ride!  Also considering allowing EldestCub to take his bmx rather than the road bike.  So he can play under the bridge by the sun on an almost appropriate bike for once.

And yes, new people definitely most welcome!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #45 on: 08 December, 2012, 05:36:52 pm »
I shall probably loiter with intent by the Sun at around 11am, since it's on the right side of town for me.

If it looks like it'll be muddy/icy I'll bring Pugsley, otherwise I'll be riding the green Genesis.

« Reply #46 on: 08 December, 2012, 07:10:42 pm »
Hmmmm,  ponders,  I'm free that weekend and I've not done a proper ride since getting back from the US.  10:30 start is fine ,   what time does the posse anticipate returning to York ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CrinklyLion

« Reply #47 on: 08 December, 2012, 07:17:57 pm »
Whilst hopefully not improper.... I do think it important to underline that there are very, very few people in the entire universe for whom this ride will qualify as a 'proper' one.

But it'd be good to see you!

« Reply #48 on: 10 December, 2012, 07:37:05 am »
Well shucks. I was hoping to be able to meet some of ya'll this weekend. But alas, the thieves who had fun spreading holiday cheer,  also grabbed my partners brakes! Any recommendations on local shops ya'll like to use? Anyway, I hope to get out riding with ya in the near future.

mjw

« Reply #49 on: 10 December, 2012, 09:43:05 am »
I'm new to the forum and new to that ride but would like to attend if I may. Roughly what time would you/we get back to York station? I'm coming up from Donny and East Coast only carry bikes by reservation.
Thanks
Mick