Linked Events

• YACF North Birmingham Bike Ride, 11/1/14: 11 January, 2014

Author Topic: YACF North Birmingham Bike ride, 11/1/14  (Read 6533 times)

YACF North Birmingham Bike ride, 11/1/14
« on: 22 November, 2013, 11:21:43 am »
Its that time of year again, and this will be the 3rd running of this ride on Saturday 11th January.

For those that dont know about it or are new to YACF, its a 30 mile ride starting and finishing from Sutton Park Town Gate cafe leaving at 10.00 prompt please taking a quiet country lane route through Mere Green, Little Hay, Weeford and Whittington to Fradley Junction.  The return route will pass Lichfield Cathedral and through Wall, Shenstone and Little Aston then back across the Park to the finish.

The cafe at the start opens at 9.00 and does do a good breakfast if required.  Free car-parking is available inside the park and the local train station (Sutton Coldfield) is just a short distance away.

Although we have had around 20 on this ride over the last couple of years, I have decided to also invite riders from British Cycling this year on the Go Sky Ride website to a maximum of 25 riders although if the ride does get substantially over-subscribed, it may be possible to run an extra group starting later.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF North Birmingham Bike ride, 11/1/14
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2013, 12:57:47 pm »
I'm in.

If not train-assisted with barakta, I'll be riding out to Sutton on the perfectly well signposted and not at all knee-deep in mud A5127 :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2013, 01:06:43 pm »
Hmm. Possibly.
There's a Travelodge in Sutton Coldfield and at present the room costs aren't too spendy.

It'd be nice to ride a road(ish) bike, with gears, for a change too.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2013, 01:49:16 pm »
Bugger.  Wrong flavour of week end for me.  I'd need a pass-out.
There again, Mrs. B will probably so heartily sick of me hanging around during the festive season she'd be happier to get rid of me.  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2013, 04:41:48 pm »
Provisionally yes.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2013, 04:48:07 pm »
Possibly yes.

Quite enjoyed this one last time.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2013, 05:22:07 pm »
Yes probably also enjoyed this last year and ride is highly recommended.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7 on: 25 November, 2013, 10:52:02 am »
Arse.

Having checked the calendar, I'm now a doubtful for this - my current car lease expires on the 11th and I have a feeling that the car will be picked up on the 10th, with no guarantee that my new car will be delivered at the same time (two separate companies are involved, one to handle the pick up of the old car, another to deliver the new - there's joined up thinking for you). It's also my dad's birthday on the 12th which may require a trip up north.

After the Tunnels Ride train debacle I'm not going to put my trust in pre-booked tickets, so no car would equate to no show.

I'll know for certain nearer the time, for which read 'after Christmas'  ::-) Hopefully I'll get something sorted out by then - I enjoyed the Tunnels Ride immensely, trains notwithstanding, so it'd be nice to have a ride round a different part of Brum and environs.

(it'd also tick off January in my 'Forum ride every month' challenge ;) )

« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2013, 10:34:22 pm »
I enjoyed this last time around, but unfortunately will be working on the 11th so can't do it again in 2014.

I expect a full report of the sweetie barge  :D <-- toothless grin

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #9 on: 11 December, 2013, 12:53:30 am »
Provisionally yes.
Hmm - me too, please. Provisionally.

Is this at all like one I went on a while back organised by (I think) Si? The route sounds familiar. There may have been tandems.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #10 on: 11 December, 2013, 06:45:01 am »
I'm in .
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2013, 11:08:09 pm »
Can we visit the Roman station along the way?

« Reply #12 on: 14 December, 2013, 10:31:23 am »
I'm new to YACF but would like to join you if possible please if its not too fast.

« Reply #13 on: 14 December, 2013, 10:41:27 am »
Last year this was a leisurely amble.

« Reply #14 on: 14 December, 2013, 11:35:34 am »
You are more than welcome to join us Rupert.

The pace is dictated by the slowest rider.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15 on: 16 December, 2013, 07:30:32 pm »
Sorry.  I won't be attending.  Nothing to do with pass outs.  I've realised I need to be in Waleslandshire on that date.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Si

« Reply #16 on: 17 December, 2013, 10:48:17 am »
Buggranfeckit, already leading a ride on that day, which is, strangely enough, starting from almost the same place and following some of the same route (but we are going through the Canwell ford as no mid winter ride is complete without the opportunity to get soaked in freezing water ;D).

Is this at all like one I went on a while back organised by (I think) Si? The route sounds familiar. There may have been tandems.

That was a very long time ago, Paul!  Same sort of area and meeting in the same park (different gate), but the tandem ride was a little more short and fat, whereas this ride is longer and thinner.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #17 on: 17 December, 2013, 10:54:03 pm »

That was a very long time ago, Paul!  Same sort of area and meeting in the same park (different gate), but the tandem ride was a little more short and fat, whereas this ride is longer and thinner.

Blimey - is that you Si? I lose track of people's names. That was a lovely day.

Short and fat better describes me these days. Long and thin is at least a thing of the past, if it was ever a thing at all.

(I still have The Sun In My Eyes to read. I'll get around to it one day. Probably.)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #18 on: 21 December, 2013, 03:57:33 pm »
I'll aim to meet you at the crossroads between Weeford & Whittington on the old A5 here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=414354&Y=304175&A=Y&Z=115&ax=414354&ay=304175:

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #19 on: 03 January, 2014, 09:06:56 pm »
Hmmm,  this is next weekend and I haven't got tickets get.....    Is anyone riding from New St again...... and if so have we got a sensible route.....  ?  We don't want Kim rolling a trike again ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #20 on: 03 January, 2014, 09:12:17 pm »
Let me check prices but thinks will be vehicule. How long from new street to the park?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 03 January, 2014, 09:23:33 pm »
The sensible route is called the A5127.  It's the sort of thing that makes Birmingham great.

I plan to attend, but my getting to the start arrangements will depend on whether barakta is joining us.  If we're not trying our luck with the trike on the cross city line, Mordor Central is on my way.

It's about 15 km from central Birmingham to the start.  I'd allow a full hour because of traffic lights etc.

« Reply #22 on: 03 January, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »
I cant make the train work for me without getting up in the middle of the night although I could do it for an almost reasonable £25 £10 open return. (If i travel to Bletchley) I do like LM.

« Reply #23 on: 03 January, 2014, 10:51:50 pm »
My best train route is via Lichfield and avoids Mordor altogether.......
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #24 on: 03 January, 2014, 10:58:34 pm »
Definitely out.
Car's being collected on Friday (lease expires) - still haven't heard when its replacement will be delivered, but it's safe to say that it won't be over the weekend.

Hrmph.