Linked Events

• YACF North Birmingham Bike Ride, 11/1/14: 11 January, 2014

Author Topic: YACF North Birmingham Bike ride, 11/1/14  (Read 6535 times)

Re: YACF North Birmingham Bike ride, 11/1/14
« Reply #75 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:22:05 pm »
Thanks to everyone for supporting the event again. Not a bad day weatherwise but they do say 3rd time lucky!

Bit of a shame that only 11 started (10 finished) and to those that couldnt make it for various reasons but I am hoping to run it again in the Summer (possibly June) either as another YACF social ride like today or as an 'introductory ride to Audax' as its 50k in total.

off to Manchester now for tomorrow's cycle jumble at the velodrome.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #76 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:22:20 pm »
I felt obliged to consume a breakfast in the cafe at Town Gate before riding off to pass through Weeford,Whittington & onto Fradley Junction for a mid-ride stop.Twas a good cafe but it gave me a dose of cafe-legs which lasted all the way back through Lichfield,,Shenstone,Wall & Little Aston.

It was just about as much as I could manage in my current state of poor fitness & I suffered just enough for it to be enjoyable.Legs & lower back ache now but not my ar$e,neck,wrists nor hands which is an improvement over the riding I did during the Xmas/New Year period.A very clear demonstration of my current abliity & what needs to be done to allow my body to cash the cheques that my mind writes.
I think the next logical step is an 80km ride & some training :o to improve pace on anything resembling "up"
Thanks to Jethro for organising it,Paul for chauffeuring me to & from the start/finish venue & the very pleasant company of those with whom I shared the road.

« Reply #77 on: 11 January, 2014, 06:47:18 pm »
And thanks from me too. Great to meet some who have, hitherto, been only names, and what a beautiful area you have for riding.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 11 January, 2014, 07:39:37 pm »
It was a 90km[1] ride for me in total, and I'm utterly knackered (partly a night of bad sleep, parly lack of miles in the legs).  I was pleased to get home in the daylight, though.   :thumbsup:

Bike has a nice coating of skog and an interesting chirruping noise coming from somewhere at the back that isn't the chain or the brakes, so that's tomorrow's activities sorted.

[1] Though I'm told that winter miles count double, and hope there's a similar correction factor for central Birmingham miles.

« Reply #79 on: 11 January, 2014, 07:43:34 pm »
Thanks to Jethro for organising. Always nice to meet new peeps and put names to faces, a very pleasant way to spend a winter's day.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #80 on: 12 January, 2014, 03:46:01 pm »
Bike has... an interesting chirruping noise coming from somewhere at the back that isn't the chain or the brakes, so that's tomorrow's activities sorted.
Mine. I was wondering where that had gone.

It's not worth the cost of posting, so feel free to keep it, or let me have it back next time we meet.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #81 on: 12 January, 2014, 07:52:31 pm »
Rumour has it that this chap passed us as we were pootling around, but we decided not to chase him! (ahem  :facepalm:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Martin_%28cyclist%29
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Si

« Reply #82 on: 13 January, 2014, 09:43:24 am »
I almost made it to say hello at the start by the fairy got me on the other side of Sutton Park.  Anyway I felt like I took part in spirit as we had two of your refugees on the ride that I was leading - for some reason they'd thought that you were a Sky Ride but when they turned up at the cafe they were horrified by all of the "extremely serious bikes, and super fit looking people"...yeah I did have to double check it was the same ride  ;D  Anyhoo, they, and their hire bikes, came with us and had a nice gentle amble instead that I think that they enjoyed.

Will look forward to you doing another in the summer - if you did do it as an easy  50km intro to audaxing then I think that I might have a few customers who are fairly new to cycling but looking to progress.

« Reply #83 on: 13 January, 2014, 10:19:03 am »
It was advertised as a Sky Ride - see first post in the thread.

I'm glad they found company for a ride. These must be the two ladies who turned up at the start and were a bit intimidated. Shame, as we did potter mostly, but I gathered that they hadn't done distances of 30 miles before. I bet it was Kim's super-aerodynamic recumbent wot did it ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 13 January, 2014, 01:46:31 pm »
Ah, I'm glad they didn't just give up and go home.  It's always tricky to find the right balance between encouraging and intimidating.  Oddly the super-aerodynamic[1] recumbent can tend to sidestep that, because it's not obviously a 'racing bike', especially when I point out that it's bloody heavy, and I have to work harder to keep up with a group.

Cycling-specific clothing (especially clipless pedals and associated shoes) can be quite intimidating too.  I try to stick to Aldi or generic MTB gear on newbie rides, but that's harder in January when it's cold and you've got a drawer full of technical kit that works.

But yeah, probably not the best time of year to be going out and doing n times further than you've ever ridden, even if there were a reasonable amount of bail out options.

[1] Hardly, it's a Streetmachine.

« Reply #85 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:12:29 pm »
Hardly, it's a Streetmachine.
If it's not got my shape sitting on it, it's super-aerodynamic.

« Reply #86 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:12:54 pm »
Maybe it was me with all my Assos clothing.

Si

« Reply #87 on: 13 January, 2014, 05:15:32 pm »
Well, I did tell them that they probably would have been OK with the pace - it would have been the cake eating where they'd have struggled to keep up.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #88 on: 13 January, 2014, 08:42:16 pm »
Wot?  No pictures?
Poor show, people.  :(

This thread....etc.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #89 on: 14 January, 2014, 12:02:11 am »
One or two pictures were taken. But not by me - I forgot my phone :-[

Paul

« Reply #90 on: 14 January, 2014, 07:30:05 pm »
Henry (nice 80s Peugeot) took some pics at Lichfield Cathedral, but he didn't find the ride through this site, so I doubt he'd know to post them here.

we had two of your refugees on the ride that I was leading - for some reason they'd thought that you were a Sky Ride but when they turned up at the cafe they were horrified by all of the "extremely serious bikes, and super fit looking people"...yeah I did have to double check it was the same ride  ;D  Anyhoo, they, and their hire bikes, came with us and had a nice gentle amble instead that I think that they enjoyed.

Being on this side of my lycra and the forum, this is very funny. But I have been there and I have got the tshirt: it's tricky turning up for this kind of thing the first time.

Ironically, I thought they were both well kitted out for the day, and certainly fitter looking than most of us. I did wonder if the fact that they were both women, and black, might have been relevant? I think we were all white and 9 of the 11 of us were male, and I wondered if that might (also) have been a bit daunting? I might be wrong. I guess the bikes did look a bit fancy compared to theirs (I just caught a glimpse of what seemed to be 26" hybrids - though they seemed in decent nick).

What was the sex/race mix in your ride, Bodger?

Si

« Reply #91 on: 15 January, 2014, 09:11:29 am »
The bikes that they were on were free hire bikes from the leisure centre (just over the hill from where you started) - Ridgeback(?) hybrids.  Do the job without any thrills.

On the subject of race and sex, that's the thing about our rides (as some might be tired of hearing me say on another forum) - they aren't done through a trad cycling club, but rather through the council leisure and health services and run by leaders from the community, many of whom don't really see themselves as serious cyclists (even if they are becoming so).   It's not uncommon for us to have a general 'open' ride where all of the riders (except leaders*) are black or Asian females.  Indeed, women tend to out number the men on most rides, ditto our free learn to ride sessions and free mechanics courses.  On this particular ride I think that we had about 60% women, probably around 30% ethnic minority, and about 30% children.....note that some of these groups over lap.  Also, all but three of the riders were new to the project.

If you compare that to the local cycling clubs, even the CTC which is often seen as the most welcoming for newcomers, doesn't come near in terms of ethnic minorities or women.

Anyway, if you'd like to find out more: http://bikenorth.birmingham.gov.uk/

*We are trying to recruit more ride leaders from groups normally under represented in cycling but it's hard work. 

Paul

« Reply #92 on: 15 January, 2014, 01:03:55 pm »
On this particular ride I think that we had about 60% women, probably around 30% ethnic minority, and about 30% children.....note that some of these groups over lap.  Also, all but three of the riders were new to the project.

Your ride would probably have appeared (and might well have been) more inclusive/less intimidating to our newcomers.

Brilliant work, btw.
 :thumbsup:

Si

« Reply #93 on: 15 January, 2014, 04:08:24 pm »
Cheers Paul.
IIRC the two ladies actually came up through our Learn To Ride scheme, but now our rides are getting a bit tame for them.

« Reply #94 on: 16 January, 2014, 03:03:50 pm »
I've always perceived the CTC groups to be "mature", male, middle-class, Express/Daily Mail types. Not directly hostile to minorities, of course, but a bit passively intimidating to those not fitting the stereotype.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #95 on: 16 January, 2014, 04:07:21 pm »
I've always perceived the CTC groups to be "mature", male, middle-class, Express/Daily Mail types. Not directly hostile to minorities, of course, but a bit intimidating to those not fitting the stereotype.

...while simultaneously being too fast (or too far) for the newbies, but too slow for the serious sporty types.  Pretty much just right for me, thobut.

All sorts of people can be put off for all sorts of reasons.  This is why we need lots of different groups, there is no one-size-fits-all solution.