Author Topic: Eden Valley Group ride - Sat 5th April (was Anyone fancy an Eden Valley Ride?)  (Read 6227 times)

Re: Anyone fancy an Eden Valley Ride?
« Reply #25 on: 22 February, 2014, 08:42:55 pm »
Hmm - if I get up at stupid o'clock, I could do it for £9 out and £12 back. Later train in the morning is £21...

Is there anything to do in Penrith for two hours on a Saturday morning?!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #26 on: 22 February, 2014, 08:52:00 pm »
Not sure really. There's a few cafes to doss in and have breakfast, and a castle to have a wander round. Or you could probably climb Hartside and come back down in a couple hours ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #27 on: 22 February, 2014, 08:54:38 pm »
Ooh - or I could just get off at Carlisle, and ride from there to kill some time. Seems to be about 18 miles, not much navigation needed as it's straight down the A6.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #28 on: 22 February, 2014, 08:55:18 pm »
It is, though Carlisle is at sea level and Penrith at 200m

« Reply #29 on: 22 February, 2014, 08:58:35 pm »
It is, though Carlisle is at sea level and Penrith at 200m

Ah. :( I was happily avoiding looking up the elevation profile!

« Reply #30 on: 22 February, 2014, 09:17:03 pm »
Don't  use  the  A6  Wash-board  surface  and  hilly, much  nicer  roads to the  west of  M6

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #31 on: 22 February, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »
Look at NCN 7 for a decent idea of the route

« Reply #32 on: 22 February, 2014, 09:27:17 pm »
Don't  use  the  A6  Wash-board  surface  and  hilly, much  nicer  roads to the  west of  M6

Aye, the route through Calthwaite is much preferable to the A6. Routefinding out of Carlisle is quite tricky, mind.

I can't make either date, but if it's the 29th we might cross paths as I'll be riding in the other direction along some of those roads.

« Reply #33 on: 22 February, 2014, 09:48:10 pm »
Ah, ok - I don't fancy actual navigation, or bad road surfaces, or hills. It seems to only be £1.50 more to get the train to Penrith, anyway!

Looks as though there's a 24hr McDonalds at Penrith station - I'll hang out there for a bit. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 23 February, 2014, 08:00:32 am »
There is a very good bike shop in Penrith - Arragon's. They had the tools to fix our Rohloff gear cable when we were doing the end-to-end 7 years ago. Had to phone Bridgwater to find out what to do but then sorted it in 10 mins. It needed a Torque 20 driver, which I now carry on long tours.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #35 on: 23 February, 2014, 12:29:54 pm »
Ooh - or I could just get off at Carlisle, and ride from there to kill some time. Seems to be about 18 miles, not much navigation needed as it's straight down the A6.

If you decide to do that, then let me know and we could ride down together from Carlisle to Penrith. As said above, there are nicer roads than the A6.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #36 on: 23 February, 2014, 02:49:40 pm »
Interesting article  in Cycling World  this month concerning cycle run in the Penrith environs.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruth

« Reply #37 on: 23 February, 2014, 02:53:02 pm »
Interested.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 01 March, 2014, 06:51:16 pm »
Well I've gone and invested in some orange cardboard, in the hope that precipitates some cycling mojo.  Arrive Penrith at 09:45 after an audax o'clock start, and return on the 18:58 out of Lancaster.

« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2014, 07:43:32 pm »
Well I've gone and invested in some orange cardboard, in the hope that precipitates some cycling mojo.  Arrive Penrith at 09:45 after an audax o'clock start, and return on the 18:58 out of Lancaster.

Does that mean that the date is confirmed ?
Missed it if so.
I'll get on the case and inform the Chorlton (CH) massive.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 01 March, 2014, 07:49:00 pm »

I'd assumed so, but on second reading maybe it isn't.   :-[

Right - there seems to be more liking for the later date than the earlier one, and the April date is in summer time (so will obviously be warm - honest ;D)

Penrith seems to be a bit harder to get trains to than Carlisle. Last train from the North is in at 21:39, from the South is 22:35 (20:18 last on Settle-Carlisle Line)

Late morning start on Saturday would probably be better. We'd probably finish at about 5pm then. Unless people really want it to be a night ride, I'm going to go for 10am on Saturday 5th April.

« Reply #41 on: 01 March, 2014, 09:05:25 pm »

I'd assumed so, but on second reading maybe it isn't.   :-[

Right - there seems to be more liking for the later date than the earlier one, and the April date is in summer time (so will obviously be warm - honest ;D)

Penrith seems to be a bit harder to get trains to than Carlisle. Last train from the North is in at 21:39, from the South is 22:35 (20:18 last on Settle-Carlisle Line)

Late morning start on Saturday would probably be better. We'd probably finish at about 5pm then. Unless people really want it to be a night ride, I'm going to go for 10am on Saturday 5th April.

We should aim for that date then (IMO)  :)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #42 on: 02 March, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »
Sorry I didn't respond,  I've been away camping and  not finding waterfalls in the Cheviots with Michael Fassbender over the weekend. I'll update the title to make it clearer :)

[edit] - done :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Still provisionally up for it - still waiting for my sister to let me know whether I can crash at her place beforehand.

Ruth

Dammit, I already have plans for that day  >:(

Arse.

Where is the point of departure at 10? I might find myself there if it fits in with wife's shifts.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Where is the point of departure at 10? I might find myself there if it fits in with wife's shifts.
Penrith station, as mentioned in the OP.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have a concert on the 5th April, so I'll not be there. Have fun all!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

OK,  tickets booked.   Arriving at Penrith 09:45.       Departing from Morecambe at 18:41 or carrying on to Lancaster for the 19:24.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

I've booked tickets too. Arriving 09.45 (decided against the very early train - an extra hour of sleep is worth a few pounds extra...) and leaving Lancaster 18.55.