Author Topic: Mull next week!  (Read 6083 times)

Re: Mull next week!
« Reply #75 on: 30 May, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »
Leans to you both. I hope Jan can relax for the rest of the day. When you're back, it might be worth her asking the doc about getting a preventer inhaler, as her asthma does seem to be bothering her a lot.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #76 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:36:03 pm »
If that's the brown one, she's got one. Just has to get into the habit of using it.

We are in our final B and B on Mull, the Chronicle, right next to the pub. It is very comfortable and reasonably priced, as well as being conveniently close to the ferry.

The Craignure Inn had some good ale on this evening, Highlander, from Fyne Ales. They had, however, run out of steak, which was very disappointing as I had to slum it with venison casserole. I also had a Shoulder of Monkey - in fact, both shouulders. Ready for sleep now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #77 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:40:45 pm »
Early ferry & Full Scottish at Wetherspoons ?  :demon:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #78 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:46:12 pm »
10.30 ferry and we'll see. Itvgives us an hour go play with.

« Reply #79 on: 31 May, 2014, 07:45:03 am »
Weather looks gorgeous there today!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #80 on: 31 May, 2014, 08:49:59 am »
It's been good all week. The first night was a bit chilly and there was rain the first morning but after that it has been warm, not windy and there has been plenty of sunshine.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #81 on: 31 May, 2014, 10:35:50 pm »
A much tighter day than we expected, due to the ferry arriving 40 minutes lat and cyclists being amongst the last to disembark. Lovely weather again.

I'm a bit puzzled by this "Airbnb" mallarkey as neither of them seem to be supplying any breakfast, unless a jar of hobnobs counts.

A very fine final evening was enjoyed as Kirst joined us for dinner at a rather good restaurant, Blonde, that she had recommended.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #82 on: 01 June, 2014, 11:45:33 am »
We are south of Berwick and therefore in England. I ought to retitle the thread "Mull last week".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #83 on: 01 June, 2014, 03:06:10 pm »
We are moving again now after a considerable delay on the approach to King s Cross.

« Reply #84 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:52:22 am »
Everywhere I plan to go, I find a thread on here as Wowbagger has already been!

So I'm going to Scotland in April, and I have a Sunday which will be spent on Mull. Fairly time limited as the 1st ferry on a Sun isn't till 9.50, so I will have between about 11am and 4ishpm to get a ride in before the 5pm ferry back to Oban. So with about 5 hours what would you do?

I've never been so was thinking about going up to Tobermory- there and back is only just over 40 miles so a little short even with a lunch stop. I think you can loop round the top a bit and make it nearer 60, but is it *very* hilly- would I be leaving it too tight, or am I going to the wrong half of the island completely?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #85 on: 15 January, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »
Go to the Fishnish pishdish to see how grumpy the man is towards cyclists  :thumbsup:

The southern loop is about 50 miles and has been used on a few audaxes. It's great cycling country through mountains and alongside sea lochs.

« Reply #86 on: 15 January, 2015, 12:52:53 pm »
LadyC

Mull is stunning, enjoy.

I took rather longer on the island than your one day but I had full camping kit so was rather slower.

Firstly note that the A848 is largely single track and the traffic can become quite busy in pulses to catch and leave the ferry.

There are three options to consider:

Southern loop to Loch Beg and the small shop adjacent to the Kinloch Hotel or the B8035 is a climb to loop back but stunning views.

Out and back to Tobermory has the risk of the traffic though this will largely be the pulses to the ferry. Tobermory can get rather busy if a cruise ship is in port.

Northern Loop, either from Salen and round the far coast via Calgary (rolling hills and some steeper climbs) or using the small road along side Loch Frisa which was the route I didn't use.
Going beside Loch Frisa will be shorter and miss out the climbs out of Calgary and Dervaig

« Reply #87 on: 15 January, 2015, 12:59:23 pm »
God its so confusing. Votes for northern and votes for southern loop (bearing in mind I've never been to Tobermory)

« Reply #88 on: 15 January, 2015, 01:08:09 pm »
Tobermory is pretty, however all you are likely to do there is go along the harbour front and look at the multi coloured shops, there are a few shops but how open they will be on a Sunday is questionable. The town itself is smaller than Ascot high street and unless you want to go round the distillery I would advise going for one of the longer more scenic routes out to the west coast of the island be that south or to Calgary Bay.

Either way there was a nice tea shop in Salen when I was there in 2012 which may be an appropriate distance north from Craginure and is on all the routes if you do the southern loop anticlockwise.

« Reply #89 on: 15 January, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »
I recall the road from Salen to Tobermory as a bit of a slog, whereas the loop on the A849 is delightful in many places.

« Reply #90 on: 15 January, 2015, 05:18:36 pm »
The small road by Loch Frisa- is it a proper road? No funny towpathy or sustrany type nonsense?

« Reply #91 on: 15 January, 2015, 05:33:35 pm »
Looking on Google earth and street view the road to the east of Loch Frisa appears to be a forestry commission road so Sustrans style compacted type 1 sub-base material with craters. The alternative to the west of Loch Frisa is a proper road and you will gain the climb out of Dervaig to get to Tobermory.

I remember spending a fair few minutes at the viewing point studying the view getting my lungs back in.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #92 on: 15 January, 2015, 05:54:01 pm »
There is another ferry onto the ardnamurchan peninsula and yo can ride from there back to Fort William. I don't know whether the ferry runs in winter though. I didn't ride this bit as I had torn knee ligaments and sweet-talked the bus company into taking the tandem for us. They were very helpful.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #93 on: 15 January, 2015, 06:13:52 pm »
The Lochaline Fishnish ferry runs in the winter.  As does Kilchoan Tobermory. Kilchoan is practically Ardnamurchan, though, so a long ride out or back.  The ride from Lochaline through Morvern and along the B road through Kingairloch is a lovely ride.  But in winter, to get back to Fort William, you'd be restricted to the Corran ferry which would leave you with the main road into Fort William as I don't think the ferry from Camusnagaul to the Fort runs in wintertime. It's only a few miles, but narrow, winding and full of fast A road traffic.  I have ridden it a couple of times and wouldn't again.  In winter it may not be so bad, I suppose.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #94 on: 15 January, 2015, 06:18:11 pm »
Actually, I might be wrong...can't see any seasonal restriction on the timetable. http://www.lochabertransport.org.uk/TransportinLochaber/PublicTransport/Ferries/CamusnagaulFerry.aspx

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #95 on: 15 January, 2015, 07:03:25 pm »
Dont ask me how I found it but the SYHA at Tobermory is up for sale with offers from £275,000. We spent at least one evening fantasising.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38510023.html

« Reply #96 on: 16 January, 2015, 09:44:33 am »
I've done the ardnamurchan peninsula a couple of times- absolutely gorgeous but want a different route this time.