Author Topic: Goths ride to Whitby - 31/10/2014 - midnight from York  (Read 9091 times)

Goths ride to Whitby - 31/10/2014 - midnight from York
« on: 24 October, 2014, 11:04:18 pm »
Right, I assume we're still doing this ride, so a new thread seems to make sense.

This was last year's route, I reckon it'll be about the same, though I reserve the right to take a slightly different route to Malton (only cos I don't know the roads that well), and to force everyone onto the old Scarborough-Whitby railway line for the last bit.

http://app.strava.com/activities/137711370

I reckon these are the people we have riding:

Deano
Phanta
andrewc
tiermat
"Slow"coach
tom_e
growingvegetables

????
Socks

Please let me know if you don't belong on that list or you want to be on it - everyone's welcome, it'll not be a fast ride, we'll ride together or at least re-group at the tops of hills.

What you need to know

* Depart from York Tap, which is the pub next to York Station, at midnight Friday 31st October.
* Breakfast in Whitby will be at the Copper Kettle (possible second breakfast with beer at the new Wetherspoon's next door) - it opens at 5.30 am, and as it's only 50 miles, we may be grateful for the early opening, depending on andrewc the slowest rider.
* All welcome - it won't be fast.
* Halfway stop in the bus shelters on Pickering High Street - I'll bring a stove, feel free to bring your own, but you MUST bring your own cup and water if you want a hot drink. Also, if you want anything except coffee, bring your own, as I'll only have coffee.
* Costumes optional but encouraged. Generally, decorating bikes is what people do, though mcshroom set the standard with his Dracula get-up. Capes and sidewinds were not a great combo - at least for him, everyone else thought it was great.
* Getting back from Whitby - there are trains out to Middlesbrough, and then to points north or south. It is a very slow line, so the alternatives are 1) steam train to Pickering, then ride to Malton, and catch a train to York, or 2) ride to Scarborough and catch a train to York. All these trains are Northern services, which are very accommodating when it comes to getting bikes on board, though no reservations are possible. Trains from Middlesbrough to York are Trans-Pennine Express Services, which are again pretty relaxed about bikes. There do not appear to be any scheduled engineering works on the Saturday.

Re: Goths ride to Whitby - 31/10/2014 - midnight from York
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2014, 11:29:14 pm »
Hmm - I'd kind of assumed it wasn't happening as the other thread went quiet!

I do still have tickets, though, and the Friday off work, so why not...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2014, 11:31:51 pm »
I can do overnight accommodation, within the constraints of the Den, for them as needs it to make use of their pre-booked orange cardboard!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2014, 08:30:49 am »
I was still assuming it was going ahead.

See you at York Taps.

Dave notp is not riding as he is in France that weekend.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2014, 08:47:23 am »
If I had any bike fitness I would come, but realistically wouldn't be able to get round.  Have a fabulous time, everyone!

If anyone wants some skellington friends to keep them company on the ride decorate their bikes I nicked a load from my gym last year.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2014, 09:05:08 am »
Really disappointed I can't make it. I even have my own Jetboil  :thumbsup:
Hopefully next year.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »
Provisionally still up for it, as long as nothing awkward happens next week.   I've had a cold stalking me for the past few days and work is manic.  I've not been getting out of the office until 6 or 7 , and haven't wanted to do anything beyond collapse into a comfy chair!

Floorspace available for 1, Kat ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2014, 03:48:15 pm »
I'm still in for this. Will see you on Friday night at York. I don't know which bike I'll be riding yet, so it won't be decorated (it rather depends upon if I dare bring the recumbent - I may be too slow, or otherwise which bike is roadworthy).

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2014, 04:33:38 pm »
Ah go on and bring your bent. We'll get Phanta to ride it if you're that slow :D

« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2014, 05:39:53 pm »
Ah go on and bring your bent. We'll get Phanta to ride it if you're that slow :D

Is that for comedy effect when I fall off instantly? ::-) I don't trust recumbents...

I don't know which bike I'll be riding yet

Ditto! I'm really hoping I get my new mech hanger in time for this, otherwise I'll have to fettle the hybrid (which I don't think I've really ridden since last year's Whitby ride). I will make sure I decorate it, though. :D

« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2014, 12:45:38 pm »
Current weather forecast is for it to be unseasonably warm with a tailwind! :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2014, 12:47:37 pm »
And my traditional Whitby lurgy has hit a week early...

« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2014, 11:10:31 pm »
I can do overnight accommodation, within the constraints of the Den, for them as needs it to make use of their pre-booked orange cardboard!

Ooh - do you have any floorspace spare for Saturday night? I hadn't quite thought that far ahead!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #13 on: 30 October, 2014, 12:09:00 am »
Yes, not a prob - same to andrewc, actually, since I forgot to reply! 

We also have plenty of bedding and towels etc, and you can leave a bag here and all that for clean clothes for when you get back.

« Reply #14 on: 30 October, 2014, 07:32:08 am »
Yes, not a prob - same to andrewc, actually, since I forgot to reply! 

We also have plenty of bedding and towels etc, and you can leave a bag here and all that for clean clothes for when you get back.

Wonderful, thanks - my train gets in at about 9.30 tomorrow so if I could dump a pannier or two before setting off, that would save lugging unnecessary stuff to Whitby and back!

« Reply #15 on: 30 October, 2014, 01:38:06 pm »

This was last year's route, I reckon it'll be about the same, though I reserve the right to take a slightly different route to Malton (only cos I don't know the roads that well), and to force everyone onto the old Scarborough-Whitby railway line for the last bit.

I'm not doing that! :hand: :o

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #16 on: 30 October, 2014, 02:51:07 pm »
All being well I shall get to York around 23:15, enough time for pint before the off.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #17 on: 30 October, 2014, 04:12:54 pm »
just seen this... is there room for one more? (slow up hills unfortunately)

depending on being able to sort out travel arrangements of course....

« Reply #18 on: 30 October, 2014, 04:15:23 pm »
Why aye. There's no need to rush as the cafe doesn't open till 5.30 in the morning.. We've usually arrived in Whitby about 6 am (and 7 last year).

I'm not doing that! :hand: :o

We'll see :demon:

« Reply #19 on: 30 October, 2014, 04:37:34 pm »
I should add, I'm not totally convinced I'll be able to make it, as I've been struggling with a nasty cold through the week, and I lost my voice today. But I'll try!

« Reply #20 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:00:12 pm »
just seen this... is there room for one more? (slow up hills unfortunately)

depending on being able to sort out travel arrangements of course....

Don't worry - I'll be even slower. I've decided to venture onto the darkside for this trip (Halloween seems a suitable occasion for this...) and I suspect that the Deano-flat sections may require use of the 24" gear option on occasion (one of my reasons for selecting the Fuego is that the pannier rack is nicely set up as a handhold when pushing).

« Reply #21 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:07:32 pm »
All being well I shall get to York around 23:15, enough time for pint before the off.

And I'm due in an hour earlier at 22:15. The later train from the North seems to be booked solid with bikes  - how many are you bringing, Tiermat?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:12:44 pm »
Don't worry - I'll be even slower. I've decided to venture onto the darkside for this trip (Halloween seems a suitable occasion for this...) and I suspect that the Deano-flat sections may require use of the 24" gear option on occasion (one of my reasons for selecting the Fuego is that the pannier rack is nicely set up as a handhold when pushing).

The main climb is eminently 'bentable, though there are some Deano-flat bits later on where things might get a bit trickier if you aren't able to carry some momentum.

« Reply #23 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:14:21 pm »
What's the proposed route to Malton? Is it A64 direct, along the A166 towards Stamford Bridge and then turn off just before Stamford, or some variant (asking for a route from York to Whitby on Cycle Travel seems to want us to go via Rosedale Abbey  :o have you been doctoring the route algorithm, Deano?)

« Reply #24 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:22:13 pm »
;D

That is the shortest way - CrinklyUncle rode back that way a couple of years ago. One year, we'll do it to Whitby, and go down Chimney Bank in the dark!

I meant to check the route out today, but in the interests of my health I bravely got the train home instead.

Out of York somehow (possibly via Millenienienium Bridge and the university to the Dalek RAB), then up the A166 (the highway of the beast, nearly) to Stamford Bridge, and onto the lanes, where there's a rolling but direct lane through Buttercrambe and down to the back of Malton, as in the route above. We can skip the A1666 and get straight into the lanes, which I think I know.

I'm sure phanta can cope if I'm not there.