Author Topic: Goths ride to Whitby - 31/10/2014 - midnight from York  (Read 9170 times)

Re: Goths ride to Whitby - 31/10/2014 - midnight from York
« Reply #25 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:28:27 pm »
What's the proposed route to Malton? Is it A64 direct, along the A166 towards Stamford Bridge and then turn off just before Stamford, or some variant (asking for a route from York to Whitby on Cycle Travel seems to want us to go via Rosedale Abbey  :o have you been doctoring the route algorithm, Deano?)

The route we took last year's in the first post (though I think that was a bit more laney than in previous years). I used to know the way to Malton, but I probably couldn't find my way there now - will stick the route on my GPS though.

« Reply #26 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:42:11 pm »
I couldn't decipher the route from the 1st post. Not being a Strava user I couldn't work out how to expand the map so that it showed a little more detail than Whiby being an inch northeast of York (when Strava starts encouraging people to record the slowest time between 2 points, I might become interested). I'll just follow the crowd till we get on a road I recognise. I do have a habit of getting lost in York, though. Once I'm at Malton I can find my way to breakfast.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:46:56 pm »
Yeah, I think you need to be logged in for the zoomy controls to appear.

« Reply #28 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »
Ah, didn't realise that.

I reckon I can still find my way out of York!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 30 October, 2014, 06:25:22 pm »
Ah, didn't realise that.

That's more than I can do, if previous rides are to go by!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #30 on: 30 October, 2014, 06:59:43 pm »
Ah, didn't realise that.

Me neither. I'll prod at Google Maps and put up a link. After some coffee.

« Reply #31 on: 30 October, 2014, 07:32:28 pm »
Room for one more, lads and lasses?  I did it ... must be three years ago now, and would love to do it again  :D

I'm only just up the hill in Leeds - so can get to York pretty easily.

« Reply #32 on: 30 October, 2014, 07:37:23 pm »
Aye, come along, GV.

This is the route I reckon we'll take. A bit circuitous out of York, but I like the Millennium Bridge. I reserve the right to make it up as I go along (assuming I'm there).

http://goo.gl/maps/AZRkK

« Reply #33 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:01:05 pm »
Ah, didn't realise that.

That's more than I can do, if previous rides are to go by!

I can do clockwise spirals out of York, and anti clockwise spirals out of York, but left to my own devices, I usually end up crossing the river at least 5 times... Is there a direct route ???

« Reply #34 on: 30 October, 2014, 08:05:45 pm »
If you like, we can do multiple crossings of the  Ouse, then the Derwent, and the Esk. Could chuck in the Foss as well...

« Reply #35 on: 30 October, 2014, 09:50:53 pm »
Aye, come along, GV.

Cheers, Deano ---- looking forward to it  ;D ;D ;D

tiermat

« Reply #36 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:22:50 am »
Aye, come along, GV.

Cheers, Deano ---- looking forward to it  ;D ;D ;D

Cool, be good to catch up with you again.  Hopefully we will ALL go the same direction this time (and arrive for brekkie at the same time!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #37 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:30:33 am »
Hopefully we will ALL go the same direction this time (and arrive for brekkie at the same time!)

What are the chances of that happening, though?! ;D

« Reply #38 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:40:26 am »
Have a good ride to Whitby... was hoping to do this, having really enjoyed the Carlisle-Newcastle, but can't make it. Temperatures are great for this time of year!

« Reply #39 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:43:01 am »
Enjoy tonight's ride everyone! Trumps sends his best wishes too  ;D

tiermat

« Reply #40 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:52:00 am »
Have a good ride to Whitby... was hoping to do this, having really enjoyed the Carlisle-Newcastle, but can't make it. Temperatures are great for this time of year!

That's s shame we could have compared more notes on Cataluyna!

Maybe next time :)

« Reply #41 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:17:02 pm »
argh! am currently unable to a) sort out transport, b) sort out eh OH, c) excuse myself from existing arrangements on Saturday that I'd forgotten about... so I'm afraid I'm out... next time though!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #42 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:18:31 pm »
I'll be around in the Den from 5 at the latest for anyone who needs a spot to lurk pre-ride.  PM for directions if you don't know 'em!

« Reply #43 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:35:28 pm »

That's s shame we could have compared more notes on Cataluyna!

Maybe next time :)
*like*  (not sure if there's a 'like' button on this forum  :)

« Reply #44 on: 31 October, 2014, 12:46:52 pm »
I'll be around in the Den from 5 at the latest for anyone who needs a spot to lurk pre-ride.  PM for directions if you don't know 'em!

I should really know this, but...please could you resend me your address?! I can't remember which street, again!

« Reply #45 on: 31 October, 2014, 03:44:54 pm »
Right, off to the station in a bit...see you all later! :thumbsup:

« Reply #46 on: 31 October, 2014, 04:17:16 pm »
Sorry to leave you in the lurch, guys, but I'm out. I can still hardly speak, and a wee ride around town has left me a tad woozy and very sweaty. I'd be NFU.

Now, is someone bringing a stove and bits for the stop?

Anyway, a quick guide of how I planned the thing to go - feel free to ignore, but I hope you find it useful.

- I'm assuming phanta knows the route sorta well enough, but someone to act as tail-end charlie who knows the route or has it on their GPS would be useful - any volunteers? It's not hard, just be prepared to ride at the pace of the slowest rider and make sure no one vanishes off down a side road or gets et by werewolves.

- The scheduled stop is in Pickering, at the bus stand to the right of the town centre roundabout. I don't know if anyone's bringing cake? You'll probably need your own snacks and stuff, as there'll be nowt open en route. And obviously this is depending on someone having a stove.

- On the route, don't miss the crappy left turn in Stamford Bridge - it's the left just before the traffic lights on the Bridge itself.

- The lights on the right turn onto the A169 in Malton are rubbish at responding to cyclists, so if you do have to jump them, go with extreme care. Even if you don't have to go through red, it's worth taking your time, as there was one year when an ambulance came flogging down from Old Malton Ambulance Station and went straight through the red lights without pause. He was probably still half asleep.

- If you do find yourself too far ahead of the others, please wait at the tops of hills or at junctions. Especially wait at junctions if you're not sure of the way! Generally, the group is pretty compact until Pickering, then starts to break up, and the points we've waited before have been at the Hole of Horcum, at Fylingdales, and the top of Blue Bank.

- I usually ask people to wait in Sleights village as well, as Blue Bank is a tricky descent. Don't worry about losing your momentum, there's plenty more descending to come after that.

- I think I'm the only one who knows where the Old Copper Kettle Cafe is in Whitby. It's in the alley next to the New Angel Hotel, which will be a Wetherspoons by now. Opens at 5.30 am. Does veggie as well as meaty.

Streetview link

If in doubt, ask a cabbie - they're guaranteed to know somewhere that's open.

Have fun! I'm frustrated not to be able to come, but it's sensible not to try.

I've updated the OP with those I think are riding - haven't heard back from Socks, so I assume he's not planning to ride, I think tom_e will be there. Andrewc hasn't been on the thread for a while, but I've left him in there.

I have mobile numbers for most people - someone to coordinate this on the ride would be v handy!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 31 October, 2014, 04:22:23 pm »
- If you do find yourself too far ahead of the others, please wait at the tops of hills or at junctions.

And if you've been waiting at the top of a hill for more than about 10 minutes, phone someone in case the rest of the group have sneakily taken a flat-cut...

« Reply #48 on: 31 October, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »
Another sorry here,  I'm knackered & can barely keep my eyes open.
Have fun & safe riding.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #49 on: 31 October, 2014, 05:14:52 pm »
At this rate, I'll be riding on my own!  :'(

I'm on train #1 - I haven't brought a stove, so hopefully someone who hasn't set off yet can? Not the end of the world if we don't have a brew, though, as it should be a fair bit warmer than usual.