Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 4-5th July  (Read 17248 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo 4-5th July
« Reply #25 on: 14 April, 2015, 02:16:29 pm »
What sort of knob-headed stupidity and corporate bollocknumbness does it take to come up with such ridiculous crap?

It's a particularly bitter blow given the sensible decision last year to run extra trains with extra stock and cram bicycles in everywhere they could.

ETA: I suspect I may be breaking my promise to myself never to do the Dun Run on a Brompton again.

« Reply #26 on: 28 April, 2015, 10:10:59 pm »
Alternately you could do what we did last year and turn it into a 300k and loop back to Downham Market. Quiet trains for the bikes and an excellent pub on the platform.  The surreal bit was ending up on course mid-event during a long section of the British 100 mile time trial championships near Swaffham.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 28 April, 2015, 10:56:38 pm »
I just might have to spend a couple of days cycling home again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 30 April, 2015, 06:48:06 am »
What Wow said, just ride both ways.......simples :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 01 May, 2015, 08:01:28 am »
I've done this once starting from London but to be honest Did'nt really like the exit from London. Last year me and some friends set off from Haverhill around 11pm and joined the ride at Finchingfield. Much better. We then rode a different route back to Haverhill. I'll probably be doing the same again this year. If you want to join in then be at B&Q for 11pm.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 01 May, 2015, 11:10:52 am »
That makes a lot of sense. The first 15/20 miles are quite unpleasant, firstly because it's all London sprawl and secondly because it's Saturday evening. For me, the ride proper starts after you pass the Talbot pub in North Weald.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #31 on: 01 May, 2015, 12:17:11 pm »
Given the train issues and the same feelings about the Lunnon bit, if I'm around I'll do Sudbury-Dunwich-Sudbury.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #32 on: 01 May, 2015, 12:26:41 pm »
Which is, of course, accessible by train!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 01 May, 2015, 12:33:32 pm »
Just to be different, I think the chaos of the departure from London is a big part of what makes it an event (and one that benefits from a couple of years off).  After all, as a fully paid-up member of Team Slow, it's not like I'm going to be arriving at the seaside with the main crowd, and if that's what I'm after a FNRttC or similar coordinated ride is a much better bet.

If I want to spend the night (and let's be realistic, most of the morning) riding on my own, I might as well ride to Aberystwyth or something.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 01 May, 2015, 12:57:45 pm »
Just to be different, I think the chaos of the departure from London is a big part of what makes it an event (and one that benefits from a couple of years off).  After all, as a fully paid-up member of Team Slow, it's not like I'm going to be arriving at the seaside with the main crowd, and if that's what I'm after a FNRttC or similar coordinated ride is a much better bet.

If I want to spend the night (and let's be realistic, most of the morning) riding on my own, I might as well ride to Aberystwyth or something.

Do you tandem?

I could arrange for a car collection from Dunwich/Darsham for the bike and me and you could get on a train unencumbered by ironmongery.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #35 on: 01 May, 2015, 02:27:07 pm »

Absolutely - it's the start that makes it fun with all the people lounging around at London Fields - I did it back in 2003 (when I think it may have still been the old C+ Forum) - IIRC there was Fatbloke, Chuffy, Tim, Kathy, Nuttycyclist and various others that are no longer here and Charlotte and LittleWheelsandBig (Dave - who rode a Brompton) who still are ... and probably others.    I recollect following Charlotte on some sort of recumbent (her, not me) across the last flat bit into Dunwich.

The first bit also has some nostalgia for me having lived in East London/SW Essex until I was about 23 - the route passes the house we lived in at Buckhurst Hill and passes the hospitals where my daughters were born (Whipps Cross and Epping) - ah, those were the days.

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 01 May, 2015, 04:28:48 pm »
Definitely C+ back then. That was a memorable ride with lovely overnight conditions.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 01 May, 2015, 04:34:33 pm »
Do you tandem?

Probably best not on the Dun Run.  I've only ridden that sort of distance on an upwrong about twice, and neither ended well.

TimC

« Reply #38 on: 01 May, 2015, 07:57:03 pm »
Definitely C+ back then. That was a memorable ride with lovely overnight conditions.

Was that the Jumbly Bus/Strawberry Bootlace year, or was that 2004? That was the last time I did it!

robgul

« Reply #39 on: 01 May, 2015, 08:02:15 pm »

Was that the Jumbly Bus/Strawberry Bootlace year, or was that 2004? That was the last time I did it!

Charlotte Bus Tours started in 2004 ... and I think ran for a couple of years?   ... and I just remembered that Ravenbait rode in 2003 as well.

robgul

« Reply #40 on: 01 May, 2015, 08:06:25 pm »

Indeed it was close to perfect - I can remember we passed you in the car as you were heading home from Dunwich.

My cycling pal, Steve the perfect gentleman, had driven to Dunwich on Saturday morning - train to London - met me at London Fields for the ride - when we got to Dunwich there was the usual queue for breakfast - we got in his car, paused on the way home at a Little Chef for coffee and a teacake - onwards and my wife served us chilled Champagne in the garden at about 1300.  Just brilliant.

Rob

TimC

« Reply #41 on: 02 May, 2015, 02:31:04 am »

Charlotte Bus Tours started in 2004 ... and I think ran for a couple of years?   ... and I just remembered that Ravenbait rode in 2003 as well.
The Strawberry Bootlace Incident featured RB as a Significant Participant, as I recall. But I think you're right, it was probably 2004. For which the weather was pretty much perfect.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 02 May, 2015, 03:42:25 pm »

Indeed it was close to perfect - I can remember we passed you in the car as you were heading home from Dunwich.

You will remember that the former Mrs LWaB was also on a Brommie and came through her first 200+km ride (and first overnight ride) in better shape than me.

« Reply #43 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:10:50 pm »

Do you tandem?

I could arrange for a car collection from Dunwich/Darsham for the bike and me and you could get on a train unencumbered by ironmongery.

I attempted to ride to Aberystwyth once and was defeated, I'd be tempted to try again if there are takers.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #44 on: 05 May, 2015, 05:52:47 pm »
What would be the preferred route between Brum and Aber?

« Reply #45 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:19:11 pm »
Tempted, as I'd love to do it one day, but it's a long night out and and even longer trek home. I'd probably have to make a mini-break of it, staying near Dunwich and getting the train back into London to start the ride, but that can get expensive quickly.

Hi Dibdib, be happy to share some logistics.

robgul

« Reply #46 on: 05 May, 2015, 09:41:13 pm »

You will remember that the former Mrs LWaB was also on a Brommie and came through her first 200+km ride (and first overnight ride) in better shape than me.

I do but I thought it diplomatic not to mention her!

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 05 May, 2015, 09:47:00 pm »
No need. We are still friends.

« Reply #48 on: 05 May, 2015, 10:51:37 pm »
What would be the preferred route between Brum and Aber?

Not the way I went last time but probably passing through Rhayader stopping to chuck rocks in the reservoir.   
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #49 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:53:32 pm »
It would be a wonderful ride. It's almost worth taking 3 days over it and taking camping kit.