Linked Events

• Denmead Social Ride: 07 December, 2008

Author Topic: Five Hills Ride - Denmead (7th Dec)  (Read 17116 times)

LEE

Re: Five Hills Ride - Denmead (7th Dec)
« Reply #25 on: 28 November, 2008, 02:03:34 pm »
Reviving this thread as ride is just over a week away.
Sgt Pluck to confirm

I have my train tickets and I'm still intending to go as long as the weather is bearable.

Excellent.

I'll start no matter what the weather.  The route passes within 10 miles of Denmead after about 40 miles which would offer a convenient 'bail-out' option if weather gets too horrendous.

A forecast of icy roads may put me off I suppose.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #26 on: 28 November, 2008, 08:46:38 pm »

Hummers & Co (Who are "& Co"?)

Co = Steve Dowdell.

We'll meet you at Mick's after all as there was a certain trepidation from "Co" about riding to the start.

Really looking forward to this and will be there whatever the weather.

H

« Reply #27 on: 28 November, 2008, 10:43:20 pm »
I'm out, unfortunately  :'(

My wife is on a course that weekend, so I'll be looking after the kids.

I really need to get a decent ride in, the last one I managed (other than my 20 mile round trip daily commute) was at the end of September.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #28 on: 01 December, 2008, 07:08:39 pm »
Can I come?  I'll be dong the train thing too, so should arrive with Sgt. Pluck.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Hummers

« Reply #29 on: 01 December, 2008, 10:16:20 pm »
I guess so.  :thumbsup:

Will see you at the Burger Van.

Looks like the weather will be SCORCHIO.

Oh, hold on.

What does 'Feels like 2oC' mean?

H

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #30 on: 01 December, 2008, 10:27:54 pm »

What does 'Feels like 2oC' mean?

H

It's a bit like "Smells like teen spirit", but colder.

« Reply #31 on: 01 December, 2008, 10:28:56 pm »
Can I come?  I'll be dong the train thing too, so should arrive with Sgt. Pluck.

6:32 from Victoria here, change at Brighton for Havant arriving 09:09.

Weather permitting.

Hummers

« Reply #32 on: 01 December, 2008, 10:33:02 pm »
A brisk sprint to the top of Portsdown Hill should warm you up.

H

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #33 on: 01 December, 2008, 10:36:17 pm »
What are the planned "refreshment" stops and when do you expect to reach them?
Neither Vern nor I am fit enough to join you for the entire ride, but we may meet you all somewhere perhaps?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #34 on: 01 December, 2008, 10:38:45 pm »
The 0632 goes through Three Bridges at 0724.  Which is where I'll get on.

Hummers

« Reply #35 on: 01 December, 2008, 11:01:38 pm »
Neither Vern nor I am fit enough to join you for the entire ride, but we may meet you all somewhere perhaps?

Hmmmmmm.

I have not really agreed this with Mr Urban_Biker so I may stand to be corrected but here goes:

Assuming we leave by 9:30 from Micks, one would imagine that 2.5 hours of riding would see us cheering opening time (noon) at either the Red Lion, Charlton or the White Hart, South Harting.

Failing that, it would either be the Partridge Inn at Singleton or The Hurdle Makers, East Dean at about 1:30ish.

Whatever happens, we will be back at the Fox & Hounds Denmead around opening time (which I hope will be close to 6pm).

H

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #36 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:03:17 am »

Hmmmmmm.

I have not really agreed this with Mr Urban_Biker so I may stand to be corrected but here goes:

Assuming we leave by 9:30 from Micks, one would imagine that 2.5 hours of riding would see us cheering opening time (noon) at either the Red Lion, Charlton or the White Hart, South Harting.

Failing that, it would either be the Partridge Inn at Singleton or The Hurdle Makers, East Dean at about 1:30ish.

Whatever happens, we will be back at the Fox & Hounds Denmead around opening time (which I hope will be close to 6pm).

H

Sounds good to me - I haven't even thought about stops - so will leave the refreshment plans to Hummers.

He is the acknowledged expert in these matters after all ;)

Forecast for Sunday looks just about perfect for a December ride. Cold start warming to a sunny 8 degrees with light winds.

I'll have the route on my GPS but if you plan to ride at a slower/faster pace then the route is available here.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Denmead-route-suggestion

See you all at Micks Burger Van on Portsdown Hill between 9am and 9:30am on Sunday.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Hummers

« Reply #37 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:36:49 am »
OK.

Assuming we get away at 9:30 sharp and manage an average speed of 14-12mph, our target would be the Hurdle Makers at East Dean (50 miles) by about 1:30. Failing that, I suggest the White Hart at South Harting (35 miles) would be our second option if we are liekly to be too late at East Dean.

In terms of other lunch stops, there's not much else until the Cricketers and we could end up there too late for lunch or even beer.

After that, I don't think there is much (if anything) in the way of additional sources of refreshment outside of pub opening hours.

You have been warned - bring some supplies with you.

H

LEE

« Reply #38 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:45:24 am »
South Harting, that rings a bell.  Where have I heard that name before?

"The South Harting Plains"? No.
"The South Harting Salt Flats"? No

I'm sure cyclists mention it for some reason but the reason escapes me.

Hummers

« Reply #39 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:51:22 am »
"The South Harting Fast Descent"?

H

LEE

« Reply #40 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:03:36 pm »

H

That may be it.  I usually have the same look of terror no matter which way I'm cycling along that road.  I have a memory of trying to scrub off about 40mph on a tight left hander whilst simultaneously signalling to cars behind I was about to attempt a right hand turn into a hairpin bend which immeditely required changing into 1st gear. 

Murphy's 1st Law of Cycling states there will be cars close behind, cars approaching from front and cars at junction trying to pull out in such situations.  Possibly, in Hampshire, there will be some Agricultural Vehicle with a medieval Siege-Engine, liberally coated in long metal spikes, attached to the rear, present as well.  I sense a new thread.

Dave

« Reply #41 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:04:33 pm »
I'd really like to come and join the ride.

But, because on mood, weather and tiredness level, my likely chance of being at the burger van is slim.

So, if it's OK, can you put me down as a possible?

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #42 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:13:42 pm »

But, because on mood, weather and tiredness level, my likely chance of being at the burger van is slim.

Sure- I'll PM you my mobile number in case you arrive late and can still catch us.
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #43 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:16:47 pm »

But surely you realise your mood will improve the moment you start pedalling in the fresh Hampshire air. 

Dave

« Reply #44 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:24:12 pm »
But surely you realise your mood will improve the moment you start pedalling in the fresh Hampshire air. 

Heh. You'd think that would be the case ::-)

Hummers

« Reply #45 on: 02 December, 2008, 12:25:59 pm »

H

That may be it.  I usually have the same look of terror no matter which way I'm cycling along that road.  I have a memory of trying to scrub off about 40mph on a tight left hander whilst simultaneously signalling to cars behind I was about to attempt a right hand turn into a hairpin bend which immeditely required changing into 1st gear. 

You will be delighted to know that we be cycling up that hill.

Two and a half times.

H

« Reply #46 on: 02 December, 2008, 02:05:39 pm »
You will be delighted to know that we be cycling up that hill ... Two and a half times.

2 1/2 ?

Wimps.

To get full VFM you have to take the East fork, go over the top of Harting, descend towards Chilgrove, turn round and back the way you just came, El Supremo style. Then enjoy LEE's fondly-remembered near-death experience descending back to the T-junction and the gut-wrenching L turn back up towards Uppark.

Then, after completing a loop of various other hills (you are going up West Mardon too, aren't you Dave?) you approach S. Harting again from the East and finish off with a lovely leafy climb up Down Place - t'was gorgeous back in October with all the autumn colours - a tunnel of firey orange. You can finish off with another descent & climb towards Emsworth and make it five full ascents.

Possibly you could fit in a climb of Bignor while you're near Duncton and make it Six Hills?

;)

Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Hummers

« Reply #47 on: 02 December, 2008, 07:15:47 pm »
You will be delighted to know that we be cycling up that hill ... Two and a half times.

2 1/2 ?

Wimps.

To get full VFM you have to take the East fork, go over the top of Harting, descend towards Chilgrove, turn round and back the way you just came, El Supremo style. Then enjoy LEE's fondly-remembered near-death experience descending back to the T-junction and the gut-wrenching L turn back up towards Uppark.

Then, after completing a loop of various other hills (you are going up West Mardon too, aren't you Dave?) you approach S. Harting again from the East and finish off with a lovely leafy climb up Down Place - t'was gorgeous back in October with all the autumn colours - a tunnel of firey orange. You can finish off with another descent & climb towards Emsworth and make it five full ascents.

Possibly you could fit in a climb of Bignor while you're near Duncton and make it Six Hills?

;)

Don't you start waving your willy at me, young man.   :o

The 'Five Hills' is something of a whimsical nod to the original idea but I hope we will not be held to a climb count on the day.

I think that overall the route is on a par with the Corker, thank you very much, although a visit to Bexley hill rather than Duncton would be 'character building'.

We will be quite happy with the pull up over and down to Chilgrove and the return (several hills later) via Down Place complete with "gut-wrenching L turn" towards Compton.

We were not going as far down as West Marden but cutting over to Idsworth. Hmmmm, something of a route oversight that has now been corrected.

Thanks.  :demon:

H

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #48 on: 02 December, 2008, 10:30:29 pm »
<goes off to fettle bike>

<makes sure granny ring engages smoothly, on demand>

Martin

« Reply #49 on: 02 December, 2008, 10:51:22 pm »
Funnily enough I was thinking about resurrecting the Corker but I don't think it would get past Rules and Regulations in its original format.