Author Topic: BBC Radio 6 Music  (Read 5402 times)

LindaG

BBC Radio 6 Music
« on: 01 March, 2010, 10:07:29 am »
It sounds like they might kill 6 music because they've run out of money or something.

So from now on the return on my licence fee will be The Today Programme, Wallander, and the weather forecast on Ceefax.

Huh.

::-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: BBC Radio 6 Music
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:09:48 am »
I really don't understand the motivation behind this, but it's crap :(

There are some online campaigns to save it, apparently.

<heads for google ... >

(what really surprised me is that they only employ 35 people!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:10:35 am »
There was an article about it in the Observer yesterday and a facebook group has about 60,000 'signatures'.

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:12:15 am »
I blame George Lamb

More seriously, yes there is a case to be answered that 6Music is of interest only to 30-40-something  yo blokes, but on the other hand it's one of the few music stations with the odd intelligent, knowledgeable presenter.

The BBC has also been told to refocus R2 more on the over 50s (read: over 70s), and R1 is targeted at the under 24s, so if 6 goes there will be a yawning gap in their demographic coverage.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:13:41 am »
George Lamb is cr@p.  But there's loads on 6Music that's really good.  Stuart Maconie, Tom Robinson etc...
Getting there...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:21:15 am »
More seriously, yes there is a case to be answered that 6Music is of interest only to 30-40-something  yo blokes, but on the other hand it's one of the few music stations with the odd intelligent, knowledgeable presenter.

The BBC has also been told to refocus R2 more on the over 50s (read: over 70s), and R1 is targeted at the under 24s, so if 6 goes there will be a yawning gap in their demographic coverage.
MAYBE it is quite focused, but so is F**king Money Box!

And no commercial stations are playing this stuff - surely filling gaps is what the Beeb is for? Not to mention providing airspace for new bands.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:22:54 am »
I saw this too - I don't like everything about 6music (the aforementioned George L*** issue, and the playlist is very bland) but there are enough good presenters, and they introduce loads of new music.

It wouldn't be so bad if some of this stuff had a home on Radio 1, but I've felt alienated by that place for years, and I notice that there's no suggestion of scrapping 1Xtra, which is pretty much a Radio 1 clone.

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:37:04 am »
Sad. I like to listen to R6, for specific programs, on the computer. One I do try and catch up with is Bruce Dickinson's late Friday show for example. It is/was good to have knowledgeable DJs introducing a varied range of new music, something people have referred to as a John Peel's touch or style elsewhere.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

LindaG

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »
Sad. I like to listen to R6, for specific program, on the computer. One I do try and catch up with is Bruce Dickinson's late Friday show for example. It is/was good to have knowledgeable DJs introducing a varied range of new music, something people have referred to as a John Peel's touch or style elsewhere.

Me too.  I've found loads of new stuff I love through R6, and it's felt like going back to all those nights under the duvet with my clock radio listening to John Peel when I was a teenager. 

I really am upset about this.

So from now on the return on my licence fee will be The Today Programme, Wallander, and the weather forecast on Ceefax

Oh, Survivors.  That's bbc isn't it.  And Dr Who.  Not bloody Top Gear though.  How many R6s to the Top Gear I wonder.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:14:29 am »
Well it seems to have moved from rumour to proposal BBC News - BBC 6 Music and Asian Network to close in shake-up :(

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:20:37 am »
Really sad to hear this. Steve Lamacq's old radio one show kept me company when I was living on my own in a strange city quite a few years ago. I was delighted to discover him on R6 recently and have been tuning in ever since.

« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:24:06 am »
I'm rather depressed about this. I fall perfectly into the 6music demographic, but it seems there aren't enough of us. R2 as it stands today is occasionally alright (mainly the R1 DJs from my youth like Radcliffe and Mayo) but not a viable alternative.

I'd just bought a new DAB radio for the new house too. Bah! R4 it is then. >:(

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:32:49 am »
I blame George Lamb

Ugh! The thin Chris Moyles! Or slightly thinner, at least. Bring back Gideon Coe. He's far too good to be hidden away in the darker recesses of nights and weekends.

Quite. If R1 is meant to be for the young 'uns and R2 is for the crumblies, 6music is R1.5. It fills a gap. It's all very well the conservative lobby saying it's a niche station, but if it weren't for niche programming, many licence payers would be disenfranchised - and yet still expected to pay the same fee as everyone else. Diversity is the BBC's strength, not a weakness.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:47:59 am »
I blame George Lamb

Ugh! The thin Chris Moyles! Or slightly thinner, at least. Bring back Gideon Coe. He's far too good to be hidden away in the darker recesses of nights and weekends.

I take it you didn't listen to the brekkie show today or yesterday :)

Calm down about George Lamb, everyone. His replacement (Keaveny) is far far better.

------------------------
Folks, get off your arses and have your say. If you're already registered on Facebook, join the protest group.
Or (for us luddites) go to the BBC complaints page - pretty quick to use.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/

I have seen news items this morning suggesting the tide is turning - the Beeb may be backing off after seeing the size of protest.

Be strong comrades :)

--------------------
Incidentally, does anyone think the BBC's website is worth saving? Apart from iPlayer (which really ought to just need regular maintenance) I just see it as an above average news site. All the other content-related guff seems like ... well just guff to me.

Axe it all!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:53:35 am »
Keaveney?  That's where they keep him?  He makes occasional embarrassing forays onto R2, where his thick Northerner schtick is more than a little wearing.  The Larry Grayson of regional politics.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:16:51 am »
I take it you didn't listen to the brekkie show today or yesterday :)

No, but I will be doing so for the rest of the week. Thanks for the tip-off.  :thumbsup:

d.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:31:24 am »
Keaveney?  That's where they keep him?  He makes occasional embarrassing forays onto R2, where his thick Northerner schtick is more than a little wearing.  The Larry Grayson of regional politics.
If you don't like him, that emphasises how 6Music are appealing to a discerning demographic ;)

Also bear in mind the 1st Law of Radio Scheduling:
When selecting your breakfast show presenter, you MUST choose your loudest, most abrasive presenter. [see Evans, Moyles, Lamb, Kennedy ... ] Presumably listeners really want someone that shocks them out of bed :rollseyes:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:37:13 am »
Loudest? Most abrasive?  Wogan? ;D
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:47:25 am »
Yeah, Wogan grates my ears big time! I don't mind Keaveny so much (at least he isn't Moyles) but we're a Campbell/Fogarty household.

If they could clone Shelagh Fogarty and fill Radio 5 with her all day, I would consider the licence fee well spent. If she were to develop a penchant for indie guitar rock and they gave her a show on 6music, that would be just wonderful.

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 02 March, 2010, 11:53:12 am »
Ah, now, Radio Five could be removed with no cultural loss.
Getting there...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 02 March, 2010, 07:23:10 pm »
Public Service Announcement:
The Right Hon Mr Wowbagger has declared that this issue is too important for The Pub, and has raised it in the Upper House (POBI). So please join in the thread over there.

Meanwhile, here is my response from Auntie:

"
Thank you for your email in response to the strategic review of the BBC's services.

BBC Management have made the proposals to the BBC's governing body, the BBC Trust. There is now a public consultation before any decisions are taken by the BBC Trust. It closes on May the 25th.

To take part in the public consultation you can visit the BBC Trust's website at bbc.co.uk/BBC Trust. Or you can write to the BBC Trust at 180 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5QZ. There is no need to enclose a stamped addressed envelope, or you can go online to bbc.co.uk/BBCTrust.

To read the proposals in full please visit the BBC's website at bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc.

Thank you for contacting us and we hope you will take part in the public consultation.
"
 (my bold)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #21 on: 02 March, 2010, 07:24:20 pm »

Calm down about George Lamb, everyone. His replacement (Keaveny) is far far better.

------------------------
Folks, get off your arses and have your say. If you're already registered on Facebook, join the protest group.
Or (for us luddites) go to the BBC complaints page - pretty quick to use.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/

I have seen news items this morning suggesting the tide is turning - the Beeb may be backing off after seeing the size of protest.

Be strong comrades :)

--------------------
Incidentally, does anyone think the BBC's website is worth saving? Apart from iPlayer (which really ought to just need regular maintenance) I just see it as an above average news site. All the other content-related guff seems like ... well just guff to me.

Axe it all!

[pedant] Keaveney actually replaced Phill Jupitus on the 6 Music weekday breakfast show: Lamb recently moved from weekdays to the w/end breakfast slot [/pedant]

And yeah, it seems that there may be enough ire expressed to save 6 Music. Fingers crossed.
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 02 March, 2010, 07:29:14 pm »
[pedant] Keaveney actually replaced Phill Jupitus on the 6 Music weekday breakfast show: Lamb recently moved from weekdays to the w/end breakfast slot [/pedant]

Ooops - good point. I had completely erased the Jupitus years from my addled memory. Perhaps I should shuffle over to the R2 room while I've still got me 'elf ...

Still, the point is that there is now Less Of Lamb On The Air :)

Actually I can't work him out - he did a TV docco/interview with Lilly Allen a while ago, and came across as really ... quite bearable. But for some reason he unleashes his inner git on the radio.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #23 on: 02 March, 2010, 07:42:23 pm »

Still, the point is that there is now Less Of Lamb On The Air :)

Yep - still, he might come in handy if Mr Larrington uses up all his Lighthouse Family kindling supply  ;D
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #24 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:22:51 pm »

Ah, that sounds like something I've been vaguely aware of in the morning. That aside, its the only radio station I do listen to as radio rather than podcasts. Indeed, is the only station that I've heard play the Chameleons since I left Manchester many many years ago, which makes it OK in my book. I thought the point of digital, rather like cable, was that there was space for a bunch of niche channels that don't have to cost a fortune to run.