Author Topic: The King's Speech  (Read 4921 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
The King's Speech
« on: 11 February, 2011, 09:54:50 pm »
I don't watch many films but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Colin Firth was excellent - as were the rest of the cast.

Highly recommended.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: The King's Speech
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:28:09 am »
Saw it last night.  Yes, excellent.  TS's portrayal of Churchill made me smile too.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:48:23 am »
I haven't seen the film, but I was rather taken by this comment on it by Christopher Hitchens.

« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:48:23 am »
Interesting article, though Churchill had a pretty minor role in the film really (so possibly reflecting the article's premise in some ways, but also that the film was really about the relationship between LL and KG6 IMO), but TS did look very bulldog-like.  :)

BBC News - Finding the real King's Speech

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:27:58 am »
The article is a bit like berating Shakespeare for his misrepresentation of Richard III, though.   ::-)

The film is a good film but it's fiction, not documentary.  Perhaps Mr Hitchens has lost the ability to relate to fiction - it happened to me a few years ago - and thus cannot enjoy it any more.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2011, 12:17:56 pm »
The article is a bit like berating Shakespeare for his misrepresentation of Richard III, though.   ::-)

The film is a good film but it's fiction, not documentary.  Perhaps Mr Hitchens has lost the ability to relate to fiction - it happened to me a few years ago - and thus cannot enjoy it any more.

Agreed.  'Critics' just seem to need an opportunity to showcase their knowledge.  

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »
As we all know, Chritopher Hitchens is a drink-soaked former Trotskyist popinjay.

« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:41:21 pm »
As we all know, Chritopher Hitchens is a drink-soaked former Trotskyist popinjay.

But, apart from Iraq, he does talk sense. I assumed his piece merely used the film as an excuse to vent his opinions on Churchill and the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas.

« Reply #8 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »
The Kings Speech.

My problem was this:

Mike from Neighbours and Mr Darcy (with a stutter) are the sons of Prof Dumbledore. When Dumbledore dies, Mike gets the job, but he does a bunk to shack up with some floozy. In the meantime, the Queen mum (who was quite hot when younger) has employed the mad guy from Shine to teach Mr Darcy not to stutter. Meanwhile Brother Cadfael has been promoted to Archbishop of Canterbury, and someone has put a spell on Wormtail, so he's now channelling Winston Churchill.

Mike from Neighbours isn't King Edward, Edward Fox, the Jackal is King Edward. In the same vein Robert Hardy is Churchill! With the exception of the Queen Mum, I couldn't stop thinking of the other actors as their other main roles. I kind of did expect Voldemort to pop up. However it's not a criticism of the film, just of my enfeebled brains to accept actors playing more than one role.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »
I struggled with Mike from Neighbours being the King, especially as he appeared to be channelling Commander Flashheart, but then it occurred to me to not worry and just enjoy the hawtness.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:06:48 pm »
There have been reports on the radio that people have been breaking into applause at the end of the movie.  Didn't happen at my showing did anyone clap?

Also did anyone cry? Other half shed 1 tear. I had stiff upper lip throughout, but 2 male friends both spontaneously suffered something in their eye.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:12:21 pm »
I was a bit moist around the eyes, but that was all. There was no applause, but there was absolute silence for at least ten seconds at the end before people started to say "wow, that was amazing."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:12:28 pm »
The Kings Speech.

My problem was this:

Mike from Neighbours and Mr Darcy (with a stutter) are the sons of Prof Dumbledore. When Dumbledore dies, Mike gets the job, but he does a bunk to shack up with some floozy. In the meantime, the Queen mum (who was quite hot when younger) has employed the mad guy from Shine to teach Mr Darcy not to stutter. Meanwhile Brother Cadfael has been promoted to Archbishop of Canterbury, and someone has put a spell on Wormtail, so he's now channelling Winston Churchill.

Mike from Neighbours isn't King Edward, Edward Fox, the Jackal is King Edward. In the same vein Robert Hardy is Churchill! With the exception of the Queen Mum, I couldn't stop thinking of the other actors as their other main roles. I kind of did expect Voldemort to pop up. However it's not a criticism of the film, just of my enfeebled brains to accept actors playing more than one role.

Apart from Colin Firth (Mr. Darcy), Michael Gambon (The Singing Detective) and the guy who played Mr. Collins in PnP, I couldn't have named any of the actors or roles they had played.

It is a great advantage to have a finely-tuned garbage filter.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #13 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:13:00 pm »
 ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:16:05 pm »

« Reply #15 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:43:38 am »
The Kings Speech.

My problem was this:

Apart from Colin Firth (Mr. Darcy), Michael Gambon (The Singing Detective) and the guy who played Mr. Collins in PnP, I couldn't have named any of the actors or roles they had played.

Not even Helena "nutter" Bonham Carter ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #16 on: 14 February, 2011, 09:59:22 am »
The Kings Speech.

My problem was this:

First time she hasn't played herself (stop sniggering at the back) since Una Camera Con Vista.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17 on: 14 February, 2011, 11:33:06 am »
Mike from Neighbours isn't King Edward, Edward Fox, the Jackal is King Edward. In the same vein Robert Hardy is Churchill!

Timothy West is Churchill, and I shall brook no argument on this matter ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18 on: 14 February, 2011, 11:37:04 am »
I think you'll find Timothy West is the patriarch, Bradley Hardacre in Brass

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #19 on: 14 February, 2011, 12:41:02 pm »
There have been reports on the radio that people have been breaking into applause at the end of the movie.

Yes, I've heard the same. Personally, I reckon this says more about the audience than the film. I remember many years ago when I saw Rocky IV, some people in the audience broke out into applause after Sly's big speech at the end.

Even at age 13, I wasn't that impressionable.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #20 on: 14 February, 2011, 01:09:56 pm »
The Kings Speech.

My problem was this:

I've heard of HBC but I didn't know what she looked like, hence me saying "couldn't have named" as opposed to "never heard of". Similarly I think I've heard of Timothy Spall.

Edit: I've realised that I have erred. I did recognised Derek Jacobi and I knew he was 1.CLAVDIVS. I had forgotten about his other role in Cadweil, which Mrs. Wow was wont to watch.

« Reply #21 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:33:30 pm »
The Kings Speech.

My problem was this:

Do you really think of that lot as their main roles? We watch different things, I see. But Barry the chippie (a role played in 40 episodes totalling about 37 hours over 21 years) as Churchill was a slight surprise. No problem with Emperor Claudius being an Archbishop, though.

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #22 on: 14 February, 2011, 05:54:52 pm »
What's really worrying is my cousin. She's in Hong Kong, and based on her movie viewing, she described Colin Firth as 'the guy from Mamma Mia'.

I had managed to block that from my mind completely.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #23 on: 15 February, 2011, 01:56:04 pm »
Great acting, but wooden storyline.  Just saying.

LindaG

« Reply #24 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:31:32 am »
We went to see this last night, and loved it.

I came out of the cinema speaking like Celia Johnson  :)

Definitely a lot of blinking at a few points during the film.