Author Topic: Supergroups  (Read 5556 times)

Re: Supergroups
« Reply #75 on: 05 September, 2013, 03:34:34 am »
Nobody seems to have mentioned Asia yet.

... and don't forget the "feeder" bands.

Bands like Curved Air and Hawkwind whose ever hanging lineups have acted as an apprenticeship for many of those who went on to the bigger bands.

John Wetton is an example of a player who went through a lot of groups.

John Kenneth Wetton (born 12 June 1949) is an English singer, bassist, and songwriter.[1] He was born in Willington, Derbyshire, and grew up in Bournemouth. He initially rose to fame in progressive rock with bands such as Mogul Thrash, Family, King Crimson, Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry, Uriah Heep, UK, Jack-Knife, and Wishbone Ash.[2] His biggest commercial success was as the frontman and principal songwriter of the supergroup Asia.[3] Their self-titled debut album sold 8 million copies worldwide and was Billboard magazine's #1 album of 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wetton

Supergroups existed to wow the younger residents of Peoria Illinois. If they haven't played the enormodome circuit they are not a Supergroup. Bill Bruford was another floating Supergroup component.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #76 on: 05 September, 2013, 06:42:33 am »
Well, buried in a Wiki-quote like that one could be forgiven for not having spotted it.

« Reply #77 on: 05 September, 2013, 11:19:47 am »
Well, buried in a Wiki-quote like that one could be forgiven for not having spotted it.

I saw John Wetton when he was playing bass for Uriah Heep. He was let off the leash for a solo, I always wonder if that was the source for the Jazz Oddysey scene in Spinal Tap.

« Reply #78 on: 06 September, 2013, 03:41:47 pm »
Traveling Wilburys   - great lineup , pity about the songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_Wilburys#1988.E2.80.931990

« Reply #79 on: 06 September, 2013, 03:51:51 pm »
The Velvet Underground had packed in by the early seventies anyway, so it's no wonder they weren't in the running for Best Group in the mid-seventies.

It never seemed to stop the NME writing another article about Nico. The same with Jim Morrison or Gram Parsons. Usually with some reference to French deconstructionism. All Jacques Derrida and Roland Barthes. If Prog was wank-music, then this was wank-semiotics.

I'm glad I wasn't around to read it ;)

I was. It produced a lot of pretentious tossers who went on to be even more pretentious elsewhere, like Julie Burchill.

A coke habit supplied from the interviewees' stashes will do that to some people, though in la Burchill's case, it may well have come naturally.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche