Author Topic: Spectre (spoiler)  (Read 6506 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Spectre (spoiler)
« Reply #25 on: 05 November, 2015, 05:52:27 pm »
I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

I didn't, and I started looking at my watch halfway through. I think they could have done much better, as they did with the previous 3 films.

Tempus fugit!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #26 on: 05 November, 2015, 06:01:28 pm »
Sed fugit interea, sed fugit ireparbile tempus.

hillbilly

« Reply #27 on: 06 November, 2015, 07:01:42 am »
Tempus fidget

« Reply #28 on: 06 November, 2015, 07:14:24 am »
It is interesting to see the difference in tone between media reviews of Spectre before it was released (overwhelmingly positive) and now (distinctly mediocre).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 06 November, 2015, 07:17:50 am »
Sed fugit interea, sed fugit irreparabile tempus.

FTFY ;)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #30 on: 06 November, 2015, 08:18:50 am »
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #31 on: 07 November, 2015, 01:57:52 pm »
We saw Spectre last night and thought it was quite entertaining.  Perhaps not as good as Skyfall but a worthwhile night out.

I was pleased to see that unlike earlier Bond films none of the Bond girls met an unfortunate end - always such a waste!  And can helicopters really fly upside down?  I thought only a few special designs could.

Jakob

« Reply #32 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »
We saw Spectre last night and thought it was quite entertaining.  Perhaps not as good as Skyfall but a worthwhile night out.

I was pleased to see that unlike earlier Bond films none of the Bond girls met an unfortunate end - always such a waste!  And can helicopters really fly upside down?  I thought only a few special designs could.

I've only seen the trailer, where the helicopter rolls, and yeah, they can do that. Don't think any of them can do sustained inverted flight.

« Reply #33 on: 09 November, 2015, 09:07:44 pm »
I've only seen the trailer, where the helicopter rolls, and yeah, they can do that. Don't think any of them can do sustained inverted flight.

I don't see why not. Wouldn't it be the same as flying downwards fast, but upside down, IYSWIM ?
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 09 November, 2015, 09:53:40 pm »

I don't see why not. Wouldn't it be the same as flying downwards fast, but upside down, IYSWIM ?

I've seen R/C models do it, so presumably there's nothing about the fundamental nature of helicopter physics that prevents it.  Whether any real-world ones are capable is another matter.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #35 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:07:27 pm »
It was OK.  I think Mendes doesn't "get" Bond; it's supposed to be escapist fun and non-stop action, not nice cinematography.  Blofeld wasn't weird enough; he looked like a middle manager.  Too much of it is filmed in the dark.  C is a suitably annoying little turd, though, and his title is responsible for the best joke.  Bond's enemies can't shoot for toffee; after a long torture session he calmly walks out and effortlessly shoots about ten of the buggers at long range without missing once.  And he brings down a helicopter, also at long range, with a pistol.  Even an underwater Lotus Esprit is believable after all that  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #36 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:11:17 pm »
He is the best shot in the service.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #37 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:12:10 pm »

I've seen R/C models do it, so presumably there's nothing about the fundamental nature of helicopter physics that prevents it.  Whether any real-world ones are capable is another matter.

The short answer is that no real-world helicopter is capable of sustained inverted flight.

It's a question of rotor blade stiffness, the strength of the joints 'twixt rotor blade and rotor head, the range of blade pitch adjustment and the fact that the fuel and lubrication systems are not designed for inverted flight.

If you tried it in a real-life helicopter, you'd either rip the blades off or the blades would flex enough to cut off the tail.

http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/can-helicopters-fly-upside-down
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #38 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:13:04 pm »
A helicopter doing all kinds of upside down shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQT26oxOG4c
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #39 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:13:54 pm »
Lookin' forward to seeing it at The iMax this weekend....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:19:51 pm »

In which the pilot demonstrates that it's pulling positive Gs for the duration of the loop with a Mk 1 glass of water (you can also see the normal upward flex of the rotor blades in many of the manoeuvres).  Sustained inverted flight is another matter, and it seems likely that if that helicopter were capable of it, he'd have had a go.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #41 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:26:27 pm »
He is the best shot in the service.

Doesn't matter how good a shot he is; anyone who can bring down a helichopter at long range with a handgun is either insanely lucky or has a good scriptwriter :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

red marley

« Reply #42 on: 09 November, 2015, 10:32:09 pm »
Whether nor not a helicopter can actually fly upside down made very little difference to my impression of the film. I did though find the HollyPinewoodOS irksome. Especially the "New [international surveillance network with camera in everyone's room] System Will Come Online in 24 minutes" warning.

« Reply #43 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:17:18 am »

Apparantly, the pilot in that ^ video drove the helicopter in Spectre. And the helicpoter was the same one too. I guess they decided not to go with the Red Bull paint job though  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #44 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:01:08 am »
Yebut look at his (the pilot's) Viking moustache! Must be related to Andy Gates, and the things he can do with a chopper, well!!!!  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #45 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:42:00 am »
I didn't really understand how Q's laptop managed to establish that all those people were linked to the Spectre ring from putting it on his laptop doodah.

« Reply #46 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:59:21 am »

I am told that if you do that sort of thing all the dust and grit from the cockpit floor falls into your face.  So yes, upside down shit.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #47 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:06:30 am »
I didn't really understand how Q's laptop managed to establish that all those people were linked to the Spectre ring from putting it on his laptop doodah.

DNA traces?  Still far fetched though and I doubt you can analyse DNA by just placing an object on some sort of USB reader pad.

By the way, I like the way Monica Bellucci was cast as Lucia Sciarra.  She was born in 1964 (same as me  :thumbsup:  ) and is the oldest Bond "girl" ever!  I'm glad she got to have a shag with 007.  It refreshing after I watched something on the telly recently about how there weren't many blockbuster film roles for "older" women.

« Reply #48 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:30:05 am »
If the technology to read DNA instantly like that existed. Then surely it would have been installed at all airports etc. The reading was pretty much instant, and it would result in all the bad guys being caught within days. Bond could retire, and live happily ever after.

However they decide to create a stupid 9 eyes system that only intercepts messages.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #49 on: 10 November, 2015, 11:42:05 am »
Really stretching the bounds of credulity with this film. The most far-fetched scene was when Bond borrowed 009's car and tried to use the special gadgets. I mean, did you see them? Toggle switches with dymo labels! Like something out of the 1960s! Oh, hang on... are you saying that was deliberate?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.