Author Topic: First smartphone - fairphone  (Read 8396 times)

Re: First smartphone - fairphone
« Reply #25 on: 29 May, 2023, 01:40:13 pm »
Reckon if you want to launch a linux phone alternative you need to find a way to dual boot it.  I think that would help convince people to use their phone in linux mode but with the option to retreat to android and their apps.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 29 May, 2023, 01:44:21 pm »

You're reminding me of when my housemate lost his phone. He couldn't buy a new one, as in order to do an online payment he need to do the 2fa with his phone to authorise it...

I ended up buying it, and he paid me back...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 31 May, 2023, 02:31:06 am »
That could cause you new problems in the future. Rules are coming in that require a second factor authentication for online payments, which is implemented variously by different banks, but solutions include a texted code, or a pop up request in the banking app on your phone.

Laying in bed at just after 3am, a message popped up on my phone asking me to authorise a credit card payment. That's not right, I'm not making any. It was for a hotel. I declined it. I also checked my statement. There's one suspicious payment. It's not much, but googling the name for the payment suggests I'm not the first to have a fraudulent payment from it. Phoned bank (yay for 24/7 reporting line). Card is now blocked. While they investigate.

2FA works. If it hadn't popped up asking me to authorize the payment, I'd be having to argue with my credit card company after nearly 200 euro has gone from my account.

Now comes the question of how my card got compromised in the first place...

J
--

« Reply #28 on: 02 June, 2023, 01:18:13 pm »
Okay, I now have a smartphone.  Further questions
Google pay, yes/no?
What mp3 playing app should I get?  The default is YouTube music, which will play one mp3 from files, but not full albums.  I was thinking maybe Apple play as I use iTunes on the computer.
Is there an app for forums?  Currently I can read writing ok on yacf, but threads and sub forums are written super small (also, screen does not cleverly resize, so I only see 80% of what I am writing)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: 02 June, 2023, 01:23:54 pm »
Google pay, yes/no?

There's a pobi thread for that one...

What mp3 playing app should I get?  The default is YouTube music, which will play one mp3 from files, but not full albums.  I was thinking maybe Apple play as I use iTunes on the computer.

I use VLC. You can of course use itunes or what ever the apple thing is on android if you want.

Is there an app for forums?  Currently I can read writing ok on yacf, but threads and sub forums are written super small (also, screen does not cleverly resize, so I only see 80% of what I am writing)

I just use the browser. But I also use dolphin as my browser of choice, cos of hysterical raisins.

J
--

« Reply #30 on: 02 June, 2023, 01:35:54 pm »
Google pay, yes/no?

Google Pay is handy, your perception and appetite for risk determines the benefit, given the inherent security and the ability to locate, wipe and block at a stroke I am happy with Google Pay

As QG says, browsers work. Type size can be done by zoom, but also accessibility settings, there is one that leaves a spot on the margin that when you tap doubles the zoom

rr

« Reply #31 on: 02 June, 2023, 02:28:15 pm »
Musicolet for playing music
Tapatalk for forums
I use Google pay but each to their own

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 02 June, 2023, 02:35:15 pm »
Tapatalk for forums

Really? Never would have guessed...

I detest the fact Tapatalk seems in insist on adding this signature to every post. It's totally unneeded.

J
--

« Reply #33 on: 02 June, 2023, 03:05:15 pm »

You're reminding me of when my housemate lost his phone. He couldn't buy a new one, as in order to do an online payment he need to do the 2fa with his phone to authorise it...

I ended up buying it, and he paid me back...

J
I was in exactly that situation last year, when I lost my phone.

There was a way around it; ID verification by other details. I was reduced to gibbering frustration, as Every Single Phone Call with the mobile company went through the same routine of explaining I'd lost my phone, them saying they'd text me, me saying I'd lost my phone, etc etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rr

« Reply #34 on: 02 June, 2023, 03:17:52 pm »
Tapatalk for forums

Really? Never would have guessed...

I detest the fact Tapatalk seems in insist on adding this signature to every post. It's totally unneeded.

J
I find it mildly annoying, but your post has prompted me to have a dig around in the settings, and I hope I have turned it off now

rr

« Reply #35 on: 02 June, 2023, 03:20:32 pm »
Success

It is in settings in main Tapatalk home page where you can set signatures on a per-forum basis

« Reply #36 on: 02 June, 2023, 04:38:05 pm »
Is tapatalk free?  I have no intention of paying for apps (so am removing Apple Music as it wants me to pay to play my music files).

« Reply #37 on: 02 June, 2023, 04:54:55 pm »
Also, what is Google pay? Does it wrap my car's (like PayPal) meaning that I could use amex in more shops, or does it just mean that I don't have to use cards like some sort of wild animal?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 02 June, 2023, 05:30:46 pm »
Also, what is Google pay? Does it wrap my car's (like PayPal) meaning that I could use amex in more shops, or does it just mean that I don't have to use cards like some sort of wild animal?

My understanding is that it allows you to instead of just tapping your card, you can take your phone out your pocket, fuck about with it, and then find the right function, open it, scroll through all the cards, and then eventually select on, hold phone next to scanner, and then pay.

All the the exasperation of those behind you in the queue.

J
--

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #39 on: 02 June, 2023, 06:32:51 pm »
I don't need to do any of that faff.

Just make sure the phone is unlocked, that's all.
Don't need to open any specific app or anything.
Just wave unlocked phone at card reader and it's done.

« Reply #40 on: 02 June, 2023, 07:01:13 pm »
VLC for the win!  most importantly it lets me scroll by genre - though not sure that i can then sub-divide by band, so only 6/10 (but previous players were 0 and 1/10 so significantly better).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #41 on: 02 June, 2023, 07:07:12 pm »

That assumes you only have one card in the device.

And if that's the case. Why the fuck do I get stuck behind people who seem utterly confused by the fact they have to pay, shocked that it is happening, and utterly unable to use the technology they have actively chosen to use. Rather than take a card out their wallet and tap the machine. Hell if you set your wallet right you don't even need to do that... Just tap part of the wallet.

The worst one is when someone is trying to use a ticket barrier and has to check out using the apple pay or Google pay. They arrive ag the gate bewildered that it's happening. Then have to fuck about hunting for the right setting. And then hold the phone in the right place. Meanwhile tapping an oyster card or ov chipkaart ( depending on location) is just a second at most. Tap. And through. Tap the whole fucking wallet in one go. Done. Roll on the next passenger.

J

--

« Reply #42 on: 02 June, 2023, 07:30:03 pm »
Music players on my phone:
Auxio, playlists, shuffle etc
SicMu Player, only plays using directories/folders.
Music Player, previous version seems to be better.
Vanilla Music, I don't use this much

All from F-Droid which has more players.

« Reply #43 on: 02 June, 2023, 08:27:31 pm »

That assumes you only have one card in the device.

And if that's the case. Why the fuck do I get stuck behind people who seem utterly confused by the fact they have to pay, shocked that it is happening, and utterly unable to use the technology they have actively chosen to use. Rather than take a card out their wallet and tap the machine. Hell if you set your wallet right you don't even need to do that... Just tap part of the wallet.

The worst one is when someone is trying to use a ticket barrier and has to check out using the apple pay or Google pay. They arrive ag the gate bewildered that it's happening. Then have to fuck about hunting for the right setting. And then hold the phone in the right place. Meanwhile tapping an oyster card or ov chipkaart ( depending on location) is just a second at most. Tap. And through. Tap the whole fucking wallet in one go. Done. Roll on the next passenger.

J

No, you can have as many as you like, with a default. If you want to use another, you don't have to unlock the phone: wake up the lock screen, the google pay logo appears on the bottom right, tap and you can scroll through the cards you have as methods of payment. As to why, etc, I have it on good authority that there is no cure for stupid.

You can also store anything digital, eg boarding passes, etickets, loyalty cards etc etc

« Reply #44 on: 02 June, 2023, 08:33:36 pm »
Desmos is an app!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #45 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:17:48 pm »

No, you can have as many as you like, with a default. If you want to use another, you don't have to unlock the phone: wake up the lock screen, the google pay logo appears on the bottom right, tap and you can scroll through the cards you have as methods of payment. As to why, etc, I have it on good authority that there is no cure for stupid.

You can also store anything digital, eg boarding passes, etickets, loyalty cards etc etc

Wait. So it doesn't even ask for you to put in your code to unlock the device first ? That's even worse.

J
--

ian

« Reply #46 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:41:31 pm »
For TfL, you do nada, just wave your phone or watch over the gate thing and pass on through.

For payment (via Apple Pay, sure Google is the same), double click the button, late FaceID do it's magic and et voilà. For the watch, double-click the button and that's that, it's already on your wrist. Worst case now, I carry a back-up card and a £10 for prehistoric taxi man outside the station.

« Reply #47 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:42:02 pm »

Wait. So it doesn't even ask for you to put in your code to unlock the device first ? That's even worse.

J

Not to change contactless card, but that doesn't unlock it for use (I'm not sure unlock is needed for all transactions) and of course you can limit what is shown. "Show All" needs unlock.

« Reply #48 on: 02 June, 2023, 09:51:27 pm »
A reason for my getting a smartphone is a new credit card that I can only activate using the phone app.  If I didn't want cashback I could bank exclusively with the coop and use web based banking (and I believe they have linux app).

Wow, how much cashback are you getting that it's worth buying a phone for?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #49 on: 02 June, 2023, 10:22:27 pm »
I certainly wouldn't want a credit card or anything else that can only be activated using a phone app. Nor anything that depends on a phone app to work.