Author Topic: Dry January - 2022  (Read 37552 times)

Re: Dry January - 2021
« Reply #300 on: 24 January, 2021, 10:52:37 pm »
We celebrated Burns night yesterday and I had a couple of drinks, specifically a Calvados with a coffee after a cold walk, a couple of glasses of red wine and a couple of whiskies with dinner.
All very nice; I'd expected the wine to taste a little odd based on previous experience but it was fine.
This evening I've had a couple of low alcohol beers including a 0% Hoegaarden which is a little too sweet for my taste and I'm currently drinking decaf tea.
My current plan is to stick with not drinking during the week and take it easy at the weekend.

What's helped a lot is the availability of some decent LA beers. They make a nice change from cloyingly sweet soft drinks (Hoegaarden excepted).
I've also found that Fever Tree mandarin tonic with diluted Belvoir lime cordial makes a decent G&T substitute; I usually start the evening with one of those.
I'm still not noticing and difference in sleep quality, energy levels or appearance but I appear to have lost a kilo. I'll take that.

Good luck to everyone else; hope it works for you.

bairn again

« Reply #301 on: 25 January, 2021, 11:23:28 am »
Three weekends and 20 days down now for me, and still dry.

Rummaged about the back of the kitchen cupboard on Saturday and found the bottle of rhubarb bitters that I bought a while back, and enjoyed it mixed with tonic.  I know that these bitters at least contain alcohol but in my version of this a dash in a soft drink is legit.   Went walking in the hills yesterday and enjoyed a low alcohol beer on my return. 

Ive noticed my skin getting a bit better (less dry) and I'm more inclined to do useful stuff about the house of an evening (bike maintenance, make soup, chores at a push).  I'm also beginning to think about what i'll do once the month is over for me on 4th Feb.  I believe that a fixed period of no alcohol of at least a couple of weeks would work better for me, rather than permitting myself the keys to the drinks cabinet every Saturday for example.  But will make my mind up when I get there.  Ive found the trydry app helpful too in keeping me motivated as well as this thread.   

There are a lot of lovely bars and restaurants in Edinburgh that I know will be getting a visit once they reopen so its probably best for me to continue some form of abstention for as long as they remain closed.  Who knows I might get myself in shape to do some long distance cycling while Im at it.  Still not lost weight though never my objective.       

Best wishes to those who are on the home straight towards 31.01. 

« Reply #302 on: 25 January, 2021, 11:35:36 am »
My daughter made caramel shortbread yesterday, so I have succumbed. But it's so sweet I can't eat more than a tiny piece, so I'm planning on keeping avoiding other forms of chocolate and not feeling guilty.

« Reply #303 on: 25 January, 2021, 11:43:09 am »
I always fancy a beer after a nice run on the bike, especially the tandem.  Last 2 weekends included nice sole and tandem rides so I've been very tempted but managed not to.
The only difference I've noticed is being sharper on getting out of bed in the mornings.   My order from vocation brewery came last week, stashed in the garage to help avoid an early drink. I find myself really looking forward to one which I dont think is a very good sign.  When I do have 1, I'll need to be careful not to over do it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #304 on: 26 January, 2021, 10:14:49 am »
last night was supposed to have been a dry night, but I was quite frankly pissed off with the current intra-household isolation requirement and had a nightcap.

Also not helped by needing to understand some EU directive on sustainability criteria for biofuels, linked to sustainable finance classifications. It COULD have been so simple, whoever wrote this, if I find them, will be the first against the wall when I'm elected Benevolent Dictator for Life
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #305 on: 26 January, 2021, 12:41:56 pm »
Oh, I was compiling a ‘first against the wall list’ the other night - primarily composed of dishonest opportunists who rise through the ranks to obtain success at other people’s expense... I managed that without a drink, but admit to feeling like one (nothing in the house)

« Reply #306 on: 26 January, 2021, 03:14:50 pm »
I find myself really looking forward to one which I dont think is a very good sign.  When I do have 1, I'll need to be careful not to over do it.

I'd not worry about looking forward to a drink, I'm doing the same for this weekend, before I start my next dry spell.  Craving a drink, and not being able to resist one, now that's worth worrying about.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #307 on: 26 January, 2021, 03:27:10 pm »
Sunday was a real test. I got upset about having loads of snow and no boys to play in it with (it was their week at mum's). Really blue. But I am pig-headed too, so I didn't crack. I went for a long walk in the snow instead, which helped.

It's my birthday on Saturday, but I've decided not to have a drink. Who knows, maybe I'll remember this one? I've put some of the 0% Doom Bar Amber Ale in the shopping for Friday.

I still haven't decided what to do after Jan but I already know I won't be having a drink until at least 5 Feb. And when I do have a drink, it'll be on my terms.

My daughter made caramel shortbread yesterday, so I have succumbed. But it's so sweet I can't eat more than a tiny piece, so I'm planning on keeping avoiding other forms of chocolate and not feeling guilty.

Have you got the right thread, DM?
 ??? ;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #308 on: 26 January, 2021, 03:37:56 pm »
I'm going to stick to the 'no drinking on a school night' rule.  Which means that I won't be able to have a drink until Friday 5 February... which is roughly when my new bottle of gin will arrive, so there is some anticipation and looking forward to breaking my dry spell.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #309 on: 26 January, 2021, 04:42:31 pm »
I still haven't decided what to do after Jan but I already know I won't be having a drink until at least 5 Feb. And when I do have a drink, it'll be on my terms.
That's a massive achievement right there.

??? ;D
Yeah, I rarely drink but stuffed my face with chocolate for the past few months (comfort eating). So I decided I would do a chocolate free January and joined in with this thread. I'm not remotely comparing a potentially dangerous addiction to my chocolate binging, but temptation avoidance is the challenge in both cases.

Paul

« Reply #310 on: 26 January, 2021, 08:08:23 pm »
I had to get some stamps and milk this morning and, in addition, came out with Cadbury drinking chocolate, chocolate hobnobs and a bar of salted caramel chocolate.

Substituting? Me?
 ;D

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #311 on: 26 January, 2021, 09:07:51 pm »
I was doing OK in my drink less January competing with Mrs PC, she was winning on dry days but I was winning on units using the Dry Days app.
But then my dad was taken into hospital a week ago and I became my mum's support bubblee. He's now been switched from active treatment to end of life pathway so lots  close family visits which involved lots of drinking!

ElyDave

« Reply #312 on: 26 January, 2021, 09:12:49 pm »
That's crap PC - big metaphorical hug, and don't beat yourself up about it.

« Reply #313 on: 26 January, 2021, 09:33:37 pm »

??? ;D

I think that belongs in the keto thread;)

bairn again

« Reply #314 on: 27 January, 2021, 04:15:13 pm »
Day 23 and after an hour a day on the turbo trainer each day as well as no ale since 5th January I'm finally shedding a bit of timber.

Still determined to see it through to 4th Feb, slightly apprehensive about what will follow. 

I want to be in decent shape to ride longer distances by Easter when the days will be getting longer (whether that's permitted is another matter of course) so a dry March is appealing.   

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #315 on: 27 January, 2021, 06:02:39 pm »

Cheers, we are getting there. He refuses his rum ration when we first arrive for our morning visit but then asks for it quite soon after. Then number 4 son gives him an extra ration on his lunchtime visit today! Naughty boy!  ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #316 on: 27 January, 2021, 06:07:31 pm »

Cheers, we are getting there. He refuses his rum ration when we first arrive for our morning visit but then asks for it quite soon after. Then number 4 son gives him an extra ration on his lunchtime visit today! Naughty boy!  ;D

When my dad was on palliative care, the Macmillan nurses basically encouraged him to drink as much as he wanted...  after all, that wasn't going to be what killed him.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #317 on: 27 January, 2021, 06:48:36 pm »
Reminds me of MrC (no relation) who was a member of the old C+ forum. He had terminal cancer, so was drinking a bottle of a decent red every night on the same logic.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ElyDave

« Reply #318 on: 27 January, 2021, 08:26:00 pm »

That made me chuckle, much like my aunt who didn't hold back after her terminal cancer diagnosis. I'm only glad that my dad managed to take her on holiday to Cornwall before the end.

Paul

« Reply #319 on: 29 January, 2021, 10:17:40 am »
I was doing OK in my drink less January competing with Mrs PC, she was winning on dry days but I was winning on units using the Dry Days app.
But then my dad was taken into hospital a week ago and I became my mum's support bubblee. He's now been switched from active treatment to end of life pathway so lots  close family visits which involved lots of drinking!
That's tough, and completely understandable.

The lack of any social situations has definitely made this project easier for me.

Take care, PC.

Paul

« Reply #320 on: 29 January, 2021, 03:00:10 pm »
28 days (or 24 for BA) done. Almost there.

I really feel different about booze. The friend (notp) who invited me to join her on dry Jan is very much looking forward to a glass of nice red wine with a Sunday roast, whereas I don't feel as strongly about that. I don't know if that's a genuine re-wiring in my head, or maybe a subconscious fear of going back to drinking as I did before.

I've decided not to drink on school nights and not to keep any alcohol in the house. If I want a drink at the weekend, I'll have to go and get it.

Have a good, last weekend in January, all.

« Reply #321 on: 29 January, 2021, 03:14:35 pm »

I really feel different about booze. The friend (notp) who invited me to join her on dry Jan is very much looking forward to a glass of nice red wine with a Sunday roast, whereas I don't feel as strongly about that. I don't know if that's a genuine re-wiring in my head, or maybe a subconscious fear of going back to drinking as I did before.

I've decided not to drink on school nights and not to keep any alcohol in the house. If I want a drink at the weekend, I'll have to go and get it.

My bold.
I successfully did Dry Jan last year.
Followed by Dry Feb (other than the two occasions when I drank 'only when in the company of others who are also doing so' - so that went in accordance with my master-plan).
Then furlough came along in March, and it all went a bit to pot.
However, before March, I really had concluded that (for me) alcohol had become over-rated.
I wonder whether it has been the same for you Paul?

As an aside, well done to everyone who has undertaken to attempt Dry Jan.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #322 on: 29 January, 2021, 04:26:39 pm »

My bold.
Followed by Dry Feb (other than the two occasions when I drank 'only when in the company of others who are also doing so' - so that went in accordance with my master-plan).
However, before March, I really had concluded that (for me) alcohol had become over-rated.

So basically you switched from wine to weed? ;D

My dry January has gone well; I started on the 2nd as I had some leftovers to finish off and, aside from a Burns' Night whisky which I'll add another day on for, have stuck to it. Plan is to no longer drink on a school night in the future

« Reply #323 on: 29 January, 2021, 04:31:00 pm »

My bold.

So basically you switched from wine to weed? ;D

My dry January has gone well; I started on the 2nd as I had some leftovers to finish off and, aside from a Burns' Night whisky which I'll add another day on for, have stuck to it. Plan is to no longer drink on a school night in the future

Ha!
No.
I think the last time I had any of that was around 40 years ago (maybe  :P)  *where_is_the_two_raised_fingers_smiley*?
ETA: Dry school nights comes across as a sound approach.

« Reply #324 on: 29 January, 2021, 06:05:23 pm »
I started my non weekday drinking thing on the 11th as that was our first day back at work. Only managed three out of the four nights for the first two weeks but this week I've done a full run. And without doing it on purpose I've drunk less the past couple weekends than "normal".

It's all an improvement.  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1