Author Topic: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series  (Read 71926 times)

Re: ACME Winter Brevet Populaire Series
« Reply #275 on: 24 January, 2017, 11:49:23 am »

Thanks for the photos Tippers, my wife wants to get one of these (er... of me) printed and framed!  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

« Reply #276 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:01:36 pm »
Thanks for the photos Tippers, my wife wants to get one of these (er... of me) printed and framed!  :thumbsup:
I can't see my wife doing that with mine, but it is a good one and I'll keep it :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #277 on: 26 January, 2017, 02:15:04 pm »
Looks like fun was had by all on Saturday which is gratifying after the Helpers' ride sacrifice to the weather gods 6 days earlier  :)
So, anyone want to join me on a Knights Templar Compasses + Cross helpers' ride this coming weekend?  Saturday 28th 10am departure from the 'spoons is probably favourite, maybe even meet for breakfast first.
The GPX track is nailed having rode the route a couple of weeks ago, other pairs of eyes following the route sheet would be appreciated to filter out any gremlins although I'm pretty confident it's good.

Subject to weather and other commitments, I might meet you as last time and trundle along getting in some fixed wheel practise......
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #278 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:15:34 pm »
Be still my beating heart!!!

I'm at work in London and I get a message from The Current Mrs R (who is ill in bed with the flu) telling me I have received a solicitor's letter  :o  Said correspondence induces a feeling of mild panic so I ask TCMR to open the letter, in the meantime I'm trying to think what I have done wrong!  Then the message comes back ...

Its a brevet card  ::-)

Nice one ted!

« Reply #279 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:20:29 pm »
OD, I had exactly the same reaction 2 minutes ago as I went to collect the post that had just been delivered. What was this bad news that was coming my way?

It was a nicely worded letter inside, and the validated brevet card. A nice surprise :-)

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #280 on: 27 January, 2017, 01:51:47 pm »
I too have had similar deliveries and initial feelings of dread recently when receiving postal correspondence from the good Mr Ted, only to be outstripped today by what appeared to be a legal bundle going thud on the door mat  :o
Happily it was an ACME Organiser related bundle  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #281 on: 27 January, 2017, 02:16:34 pm »
OD, I had exactly the same reaction 2 minutes ago as I went to collect the post that had just been delivered. What was this bad news that was coming my way?

It was a nicely worded letter inside, and the validated brevet card. A nice surprise :-)

Same here - I thought I was about to get sued by someone I had insulted on Twitter. (Then I realised that Chump would just tweet about how over-rated I am for an hour or two until his medication kicked in)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #282 on: 27 January, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »

Same here - I thought I was about to get sued by someone I had insulted on Twitter. (Then I realised that Chump would just tweet about how over-rated I am for an hour or two until his medication kicked in)
Could have been the prat in the Porsche suing you for using a WHOLE lane of the road!

« Reply #283 on: 29 January, 2017, 04:36:33 pm »
@huggy - I'm ECE-ing on Saturday for the Knights Templar, but expect to be in Witham in plenty of time for some nosh prior to a 9:30 or 10am start

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #284 on: 30 January, 2017, 06:52:58 pm »
100th entry for the KTC+C received  :thumbsup:

« Reply #285 on: 30 January, 2017, 07:06:34 pm »
Woohooo...what a success you guys have made of this series! Huggy, I might be interested in the 9:30 start on Saturday. Happy to be flexible though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #286 on: 31 January, 2017, 07:28:18 am »

Right that's it, I'm off to buy shares in Wetherspoons!

Like what tippers says, you chaps have done a terrific job. I rode with a Witham cyclist I met on the road on Sunday morning and was telling him all about it. Don't be surprised if a bloke called Alan tries to enter on the line, if he does point him in my direction.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #287 on: 01 February, 2017, 12:23:54 pm »

Given the current weather forecast for Saturday, I'd rather short Wetherspoons.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #288 on: 01 February, 2017, 12:37:00 pm »

Given the current weather forecast for Saturday, I'd rather short Wetherspoons.
We had a very similar forecast for the Helpers' ride last Saturday, we ended up wishing we'd taken the sunblock and dark glasses   8)
Whatever it turns out to be it'll be character building  :D

Up to an ACME Winter BP Series record of 105 entries so far!

« Reply #289 on: 01 February, 2017, 03:51:27 pm »
 :thumbsup: Looking forward to this one...no ECE so a late start although I might ride home the long way just to do some miles. It will depend on

1. Exactly how bad the weather is/has been during the day
2. How much beer I feel like dirnking after the event  :facepalm:

See y'all there on Saturday.

« Reply #290 on: 01 February, 2017, 04:58:48 pm »
After initially thinking of doing the series, I'm only doing this last one. Do I ECE it to 300 or 400 though (or 200 with a lift)?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Phil W

« Reply #291 on: 01 February, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »
The wind does look all over the place for Saturday doesn't it?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #292 on: 01 February, 2017, 07:31:37 pm »

Something to do with the title of the ride? Yes, wrong Compasses, we know ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #293 on: 02 February, 2017, 07:37:30 am »
Something to do with the title of the ride? Yes, wrong Compasses, we know ;D

Great Totham and Pattiswick - shocking  ::-) :o

« Reply #294 on: 02 February, 2017, 12:21:31 pm »
The forecast for Saturday is now looking much better. In the space of 24 hours, the wind and rain seem to have disappeared from the forecast. Hopefully that bodes well for another great turnout.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #295 on: 02 February, 2017, 05:32:40 pm »
Well that's my ECE booked in, 100km to the start means an early set off  :facepalm:  however finish the day of riding at the Arrivee means  :thumbsup:

Should see you all around 09:30...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #296 on: 03 February, 2017, 12:11:58 pm »
Also ECE'ing. Early start and hoping to be there for 9sih for a leisurely breakfast before the 10.00 start.

« Reply #297 on: 04 February, 2017, 06:07:25 pm »
Another excellent ride today with some very welcome early spring sunshine throughout the afternoon. ACME Audax have done us proud. Please accept my congratulations for the excellent organisation, venues, routes and general sociability of these ride. Stand tall you chaps and chapesses.  Already looking forward to next year's series.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #298 on: 04 February, 2017, 08:50:37 pm »
That was lovely, thanks for organising :) I ended up doing a Laindon to Ingatestone train replacement bicycle service to get around the engineering works which just about worked.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #299 on: 04 February, 2017, 10:17:04 pm »
6 words to sum up the successful Acme quadruple events - The Only Way Is Acme WBPS.

It took 55km to catch up with with my riding buddy Big Saxon and we rode the 2nd half together just like the good old days. Great to see him on the bike so soon after his recent stint insertion surgery.

Just like to say a big thanks for paying for my ham sandwich and drink at the Cressing Temple Barns Tea Room. I owe you one.  :thumbsup:
CCS - Setting the Standards