Author Topic: Wild Atlantic Way 2100km audax in Ireland  (Read 8919 times)

Phil W

Wild Atlantic Way 2100km audax in Ireland
« on: 12 June, 2016, 09:58:56 am »
From 6am next Friday you'll be able to follow the 55 riders if the inaugural Wild Atlantic Way 2100km audax in Ireland. It has a time limit of 175 hours, 7 days 7 hours and goes from Kinsale to Londonderry up the west coast.

You can see live tracking at

http://live.primaltracking.com/wildatlanticwayaudax/

7 days of viewing pleasure whilst you relax with a beer.

There will be a few audax uk names you recognise.

Re: Wild Atlantic Way 2100km audax in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2016, 03:40:56 pm »
I am in :thumbsup: this is going to be one epic audax :demon: cant wait.

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »
I am in :thumbsup: this is going to be one epic audax :demon: cant wait.

Yes one wild ride, everything all ready and nothing to do till I travel iver on Thursday.

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2016, 05:03:51 pm »
Anyone else flying to cork on thursday?

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2016, 07:13:01 pm »
Aye. Due to land 10ish, maybe half past.

I am woefully underprepared and somewhat bricking myself. I have escape routes in Limerick and Galway but am very keen not to use them.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2016, 07:16:17 pm »
Bonne route to all. Proper adventure this one and in a truly beautiful place.

I wanted to make it fit into my diary, but you can't ride them all.

Fingers crossed for a general lack of traditional Irish weather.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2016, 08:54:40 pm »
I think I used up my weather allowance in 2014, following the Mile Failte. I'll be interested to see the reactions to the climbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNtqv5fX3ts

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2016, 10:20:20 pm »
I'm doing the race the other way, hopefully will get to wave to a few of you, or better still share a coffee at a chance cake stop to swap stories.  ;D

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2016, 05:36:27 pm »
I'm doing the race the other way, hopefully will get to wave to a few of you, or better still share a coffee at a chance cake stop to swap stories.  ;D

Yes, hopefully a few happy encounters along the way.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2016, 07:15:00 pm »
Looking at the tracker page, something appears to have gone terribly wrong.  Peter Turnbull is still on the correct road!

Good luck to all, this will be quite an adventure I am sure!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2016, 08:17:22 pm »
Looking at the tracking of Phil W and Mr G (Jonathan Greenway) both are going well. Mr G just on the big climb before the 640k control , Phil W about 40k behind,

« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2016, 09:49:47 pm »
Wish I could have done this one - Bon Route to all!!! Just didn't fit in with m ride this season :-(

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 23 June, 2016, 07:57:51 am »
First finisher!

Most riders seem to be moving along quite nicely.  Many of the photos this week have shown some dampness, but no reports of anything really heavy. Hopefully the weather has been kind to them.  Peter Marshall featured in this video I think:

https://www.facebook.com/nigel.collins.906/videos/10206143072970360/

Postie and George appear to have ridden together quite a chunk of the event.

Photo on the ride's Facebook of Phil W just now, checking into the penultimate control at 1800km, looking a little battered (understandably!) but smiling (maybe a bit of neck trouble going on there?  Fingers crossed he holds it all together.).

Jsabine appears to be in Donegal but still moving along towards the back end of the field. Possibly riding with Paul Markey, who it sounds like has had a bit of a chute.

I am not sure what the cut off time is, tomorrow morning I guess. So, hopefully, all those who have now made it to that penultimate control have around 24 hours for around 300km, so a good chance for a bit of kip and a final push.

Allez Allez Allez.

Edit - Paul Markey has had a spill, some stitches in his head and couple of busted ribs from his Twitter.  Definitely looks like him and John Sabine are together and setting themselves a tough target to finish by cut-off time by the looks of it, but they're plugging away, so more power to them.
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #13 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:07:02 pm »
Postie and George have finished!

Phil's neck has given in - looks like they are rustling up a support and I hope he can make it.

Jsabine appears to still be plodding on at the rear of the field. Hard to gauge distance to go, but they look to be up against it for cut off. But, hopefully, they will reach the end and they may have a little extra time due to the hospital trip for Paul Markey.  Keep on pedalling.

Peter T appears to have been doing the Peter T thing and may have added a 60km wrong turn onto his ride!
Right! What's next?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2016, 09:59:40 am »
From 6am next Friday you'll be able to follow the 55 riders if the inaugural Wild Atlantic Way 2100km audax in Ireland. It has a time limit of 175 hours, 7 days 7 hours and goes from Kinsale to Londonderry up the west coast.

You can see live tracking at

http://live.primaltracking.com/wildatlanticwayaudax/

7 days of viewing pleasure whilst you relax with a beer.

There will be a few audax uk names you recognise.
So it's a 1pm cutoff today (Fri) ?

Apart from MarkI Eyeball, can I tell how far riders have left to ride?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #15 on: 24 June, 2016, 10:09:43 am »
^I think that's all you've got to judge it yes.

Sadly, looks like Phil cut out the last loop up the coast to Malin Head, presumably due to neck issues.

Still a good chunk of riders on the road.  I think a few will miss the cut-off looking at it, but all credit to them to just keeping it going and getting it done.

As a very rough Google Map estimate, it looks to be around 220km from Gortahork (where the Elliptigo is), 190km from Carrickart (where jsabine is).

Those who are past Malin Head appear to have a good chance of making it before the cut-off (65km)
Right! What's next?

« Reply #16 on: 24 June, 2016, 10:24:35 am »
I'ts a great pity that Phil might not be credited with the ride, but I have every sympathy with him, the reason i moved over to recumbent bikes, trikes and velomobile was because of damage and subsequent agony in my neck holding my head up after a mountain bike accident. 

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 24 June, 2016, 10:46:15 am »
^I think that's all you've got to judge it yes.

Sadly, looks like Phil cut out the last loop up the coast to Malin Head, presumably due to neck issues.

Still a good chunk of riders on the road.  I think a few will miss the cut-off looking at it, but all credit to them to just keeping it going and getting it done.

As a very rough Google Map estimate, it looks to be around 220km from Gortahork (where the Elliptigo is), 190km from Carrickart (where jsabine is).

Those who are past Malin Head appear to have a good chance of making it before the cut-off (65km)
Looks like Birgitt is bang-on the bubble! With David Coupe just a few clicks behind, and quite a big gap back to the next few.

that's my lunch-hour planned.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #18 on: 24 June, 2016, 11:08:53 am »
https://www.facebook.com/david.finnigan.39/videos/10209569068693379/

Phil with his neck brace - at least he has a sense of humour about it!

Looks like he managed about 30km on the route after being braced up and then chose to miss out the final headland.

Great shame, but I am sure he's enjoyed the adventure and will have some tales from the road.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #19 on: 24 June, 2016, 03:16:12 pm »
Smashed it. 300kms a day. Off the road by 10 every night.on the road by 6 each morning.6hours plus sleep each night and a lot of pubs visted and ale drank.
Bloody great ride.

« Reply #20 on: 24 June, 2016, 04:10:54 pm »
Living proof that the "bike 'n beer" method really works !!!  :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #21 on: 24 June, 2016, 04:56:24 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Nicely done Postie!
Right! What's next?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2016, 05:21:19 pm »

If I'm reading this right, I can see 15 riders still out there, way out of time. That is a LOT for this field size (did 53 start?)

Perhaps beer sales had a big blip down the west coast this week ...

(or a lumpy 2100 is actually quite a hard thing!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #23 on: 25 June, 2016, 08:27:46 am »
Any news of jsabine?

Looks like he was last tracked up near Malin head around midnight. Hopefully that means he will have finished in the wee hours, out of time but finished none the less.

Massive chapeau to all.  Should the event happen again, I would like to ride it for sure. It is also on the list of solo tours, and maybe sections as tandem tours!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #24 on: 25 June, 2016, 02:49:40 pm »
Aye, the tracker finally broke with me having completed my Irish end to end ... Finished in time for breakfast.

As noted, rode quite a bit with Paul851 OTP following his off'n'stitches, before discretion proved the better part of valour and I saw him with bus ticket in hand.

2100 slightly lumpy km. Yes, it's hard (Scenic? Ireland? Who'd 'a thought it?), especially combined with weather - it got a little damp at times, and not every headwind was rewarded with an equal and opposite tailwind.

The route is great, and would make a fantastically rewarding photographic and scenic tour over what, about six weeks?

Organisation - really well thought through for the suggested speedy(ish) 300km/day timetable, and Eamon did a sterling job keeping it going while also running International Rescue - I wasn't the only person to have him turn up with a complete spare bike (Forks. Pah!).

I hurt surprisingly little, though no doubt that will come, but I'm probably too tired to be going to a birthday party on Galway tonight.

Anyway, time limits? We sneer at 'em - s'only a bike ride, innit. And while I can't pretend to have enjoyed *every* minute of it, the Men in Black have very little work to do.