Author Topic: tnaR  (Read 58862 times)

JJ

tnaR
« on: 25 March, 2009, 09:59:43 am »
You there.  Yes you, John T Evans driver, crossing the railway bridge leaving Shelford, and heading for Trumpington in your artic.  Me fighting the headwind on the comedy cycle lane.  You could probably have squeezed through that gap.  It wouldn’t have left much room, but you could just about have made it, and anyway, why should you care?  Instead you chose to hold back, and back, and back until it was really well and truly clear, and then you overtook with more than adequate clearance.  What can I say.  I want to cry. [Edit: Company emailed]

But that’s not all.  Welch’s driver, you could so easily have cut in front of me at the lights by Waitrose.  It wouldn’t have been dangerous, just inconvenient, yet you held back and waited until I was clear before turning left.  That’s it.  I’ve lost control now  :'(

Re: tnaR
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:33:02 am »
LOL, that's awesome!  I like the way you did the rant backwards and how you wrote this post.

I had an artic driver like this on Monday, I wish I'd got his details as he was exceptionally considerate.  I thanked him at the lights, he was chuffed, but it would have been nice to email his company too.  As David Martin says, the carrot is far more effective than the stick.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:36:19 am »
"tnaR"

As well as being 'Rant' backwards, it could also stand for "this is not a Rant" or "the not a Rant" thread...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:39:06 am »
Gah!  I got this this morning as well.  I have to cross a busy road to get onto Figges Marsh.  It acn be a long wait.  This morning,  a car stopped to let me out, and a man in a RAV4 in the other lane only saw me from his position four back in the queue, stopped well back and waved me across with a smile.  How can we maintain the quality and ferocity of the rants when that kind of thing is going on?
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2009, 10:42:41 am »
I have the same thing in Cambridge.  I'll be turning right off East Road into Adam & Eve Street on my way home and some car will invariably stop and let me turn.

Buggers!

Green Party Councillor

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2009, 12:11:14 pm »
That reminds me, I was going to send an email to the lorry company, one of whose employees sat behind me almost all the way up through the Nasty Industrial Pit of Doom because there wasn't really enough room to over take.  Not that this stops anyone else doing it.  And he gave me a friendly smile and a wave when he finally did overtake.  And let me get ahead at the lights and gave me plenty of time to set off.

The only thing stopping me emailing his company is that, er, his numberplate was missing so I didn't get it.  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »
Makes me wonder if some cyclists drive motor vehicles sometimes.

Nah.  Can't be.
Getting there...

LEL

« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »
Let us know if you get a reply fromt eh company.

JJ

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2009, 12:24:55 am »
I got an email back from the MD and another from the ops director, with the driver's monbile number, so I sent him a text to say thank-you for being nice.

Now while I'm here.  Whoever looks after the A38 round Bristol, we've got by perfectly well for ages with a cycle lane 13 3/4 inches wide, so how come suddenly it's changed to about a yard and a half?  At least it has for the section we used on the Dean.  Now I'm not a fan of cycle lanes or paths, but if we have to have them, wider is definitely better, so hip-hoorah.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2009, 12:32:34 am »
:)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2009, 09:26:51 am »
[Struggles to think of comparable incident. Thinks about Gatwick taxi drivers. Epic fail....]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2009, 02:47:50 pm »
Obvious dodgy driver on Burntwood Lane last night.  I was heading down the cycle lane, and he - in his battered red Civic sporting a sideways baseball cap, all of fourteen or something he looked - wanted to turn left as he pulled alongside me.

Shit!  Anchors on (for it is a speedy descent).  But no.  This was not a left hook.  Teenage Asian driver was smiling and waiting for me to go round the corner safely before executing his move :o

Thank you, anonymous driver, and for the way you were careful not to swing across into the cycle lane as you went through the chicane at Aboyne Road.
Getting there...

« Reply #12 on: 09 April, 2009, 02:48:52 pm »
Passed by a dark blue sedan last night, with Met Police Safer Neighbourhoods last night, several times.  Beautifully, with exceptional courtesy and care.  The first time was near Camberwell, and the second up Bromley Hill, we were both southbound along the A21.  I wish I'd blipped record on the camera so I'd have his details, as it was so good it deserved a letter of compliments and thanks.  Bet he was surprised that he was travelling at the same speed as a bike though.

« Reply #13 on: 09 April, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »
Mike Garbutt Transport (MGT) artics have been ace to me for years.
I also appreciate the two coaches I see each morning - we even wave now.
And Rygor Transport of Salisbury - you too are mega brill in your coureous driving around and not over me.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14 on: 09 April, 2009, 04:38:01 pm »
<snip>
Yeah, but everybody in Mkt Lavington is nice. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #15 on: 09 April, 2009, 05:55:12 pm »
<snip>
Yeah, but everybody in Mkt Lavington is nice. :)

;D

« Reply #16 on: 10 April, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »
Passed by a dark blue sedan last night, with Met Police Safer Neighbourhoods last night, several times.  Beautifully, with exceptional courtesy and care.  The first time was near Camberwell, and the second up Bromley Hill, we were both southbound along the A21.  I wish I'd blipped record on the camera so I'd have his details, as it was so good it deserved a letter of compliments and thanks.  Bet he was surprised that he was travelling at the same speed as a bike though.

Turns out this was my mate from a few doors down, who is also a keen cyclist.  We live in keyworker accommodation, so at least half the flats are coppers.  What a surprise!

« Reply #17 on: 10 April, 2009, 08:46:39 pm »
Yes, a surprise.  A positive post about the police !!

ed_o_brain

« Reply #18 on: 10 April, 2009, 10:55:01 pm »

Turns out this was my mate from a few doors down, who is also a keen cyclist.  We live in keyworker accommodation, so at least half the flats are coppers.  What a surprise!

Just goes to show it can be done!

I recall building up a rapport with a coach driver in Telford who used to catch me each day as I was en route to work. It's quite nice knowing someone is watching out for you and overtaking you with care consistently each day.

« Reply #19 on: 10 April, 2009, 11:17:47 pm »

Just goes to show it can be done!

I recall building up a rapport with a coach driver in Telford who used to catch me each day as I was en route to work. It's quite nice knowing someone is watching out for you and overtaking you with care consistently each day.

I have several coaches in the morning like this. It is a nice feeling.

« Reply #20 on: 14 April, 2009, 11:06:09 pm »
Had a chap tonight wind down his window and apologise.  This after he almost moved into my lane without looking, and was dissuaded by the airzound.  I could have been a little more defensive in my riding, but I was still impressed that he acknowledged his mistake.

I was a bit naughty though, an American tourist started having a right old rant at a cyclist behind me, so I jumped off and started filming it.  The Merkin was swearing and shouting, spittle flying, and threatening argy bargy.  My naughty bit was egging him on to do it on camera.  Dunno what got into me!!

Regulator

« Reply #21 on: 15 April, 2009, 06:53:20 am »
You're a bad boy, Mikey!  Go to bed without any dessert!

;D

Green Party Councillor

ed_o_brain

« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2009, 07:20:00 pm »
I was filtering past slow moving traffic which was queuing for the motorway yesterday morning when an entire stream of drivers pulled left one by one so that I could pass them!!!

I thought I was dreaming until unseen pothole brought me back to my senses!

« Reply #23 on: 06 May, 2009, 10:42:25 am »
Had a brill ride in last night, a fast one in spite of all the wind, so glad I was on the 'bent!!  I rode with a chap on a ss along much of the A202/A20, we were doing 23-25mph for most of the way having a good chat.

Then had lots of people give me thank yous for helping them to pass me, and had one overly close overtake.  Caught up to that lady at the garage in Biggin Hill and nicely mentioned that perhaps she came a little closer to me than she'd realised.  She gave a lovely apology, but had to mention that apparently "I'm very hard to see".  At least she also had the grace to look extremely sheepish when I said "What, you mean you couldn't see this light", and shone the BLT Fantom into her eyes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #24 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:04:47 pm »
:-[

Sorry. 

You might have the right to rant at me for being such an idiot, and scaring you, but no harm was done.

You see, that graunching noise as I passed your van in the filter lane up to the ASL reservoir was not anything coming into contact with your vehicle.  No, it was me freewheeling close to the kerb.

Except, you see, you can't freewheel on fixed; the wheels go round but so do the pedals.  And the left crank might catch the kerb.  And it might make a horrid noise.  And I might do this: :-[   In fact, I did.
Getting there...