Author Topic: (De)crepitation  (Read 4979 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: (De)crepitation
« Reply #25 on: 16 August, 2010, 12:52:27 pm »
I have yet to have met a person with hurty/crunchy knees who found that surgery helped make them less painfull.

You must meet my sister and me then.  Both of us have surgery for just such problems with our knees - my sister has had to have it repeated because her degeneration is worse than mine - and in both our cases it made our knees significantly less painful.

That sounds like an inherited condition well beyond normal wear and tear to me...so not entirely relevant.

So you're a rheumatologist as well as a psychiatrist?

Wonders will never cease...

::-)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Zoidburg

« Reply #26 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:00:26 pm »
I have yet to have met a person with hurty/crunchy knees who found that surgery helped make them less painfull.

You must meet my sister and me then.  Both of us have surgery for just such problems with our knees - my sister has had to have it repeated because her degeneration is worse than mine - and in both our cases it made our knees significantly less painful.

That sounds like an inherited condition well beyond normal wear and tear to me...so not entirely relevant.

So you're a rheumatologist as well as a psychiatrist?

Wonders will never cease...

::-)
If you want to make this unpleasent I suggest you say sorry to Liz first OR BUGGER OFF.

My grandfather had chronic athritis, he got it young and it crippled him, I will probably get it as well.

Any more questions? because dragging shit from one thread into another just to serve your smugness is some really petty unpleasant behaviour, I don't care how clever you think you are.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:04:26 pm »
Play nicely or don't play at all.
Don't pretend to be an expert on anything unless you are.
PLEASE!

Zoidburg

« Reply #28 on: 16 August, 2010, 01:06:14 pm »
I didn't.

Some one who thinks he knows everything decided to be a knob and play petty point scoring games.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #29 on: 16 August, 2010, 03:52:59 pm »
Thanks Zoiders - that sounds like what they said at the hospital, don't demand knee surgery unless they find something really unusual, because the surgery doesn't always help (it sounds like most people with knee stuff go "argh, knees, I must have surgery right now yesterday.")  Since I wasn't volunteering that was fine by me ;D

X-ray results next weekish...

I shan't be taking up a career as a ballerina unless knee physio makes me significantly more graceful ;D

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #30 on: 16 August, 2010, 04:33:15 pm »
Watch the physio...

The first one I had wasn't keen on cycling and he suggested it would make things worse, despite the orthopod saying it was fine and would help.  I ended up swapping physios and the second one was fine.  Like the surgeon, she recommended cycling.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #31 on: 16 August, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »
Can you get yourself added to some nice person's corporate insurance policy?  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 16 August, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »
I was about to say that if the NHS turns out to be totally crep then I would recommend this place - cheap once you get there and good docs, airfare would be the major problem - but Andy's post suggests that even if you go private it's not a prob, and you don't (probably and hopefully) need surgery anyway, so... good luck!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #33 on: 26 August, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »
I'm going to the physio next week, and my x-ray results should be back about the same time.  If the GP's surgery can bear to part with them, that is (and these people are going to be taking over the hospitals, are they?  Jesus wept.)

The inflammation in the knee has mainly gone and it's not hurting from stationary.  I managed to commute yesterday and although I could feel my knee, I didn't get any pain.

Any ideas for cycling or running (swimming's okay) for poorly knees?  Should I be nixing trying to run altogether for a while (my sister just did a 10k in 55 minutes; I haz competitive streak) or are there ways and means?  Gym membership means I can do a treadmill if that's any better than the mean streets.  And with cycling, again, I can use the bikes at the gym although I'm not a fan of indoor cycling, or should I be trying to do increasing distances in a very low gear, or short distances a bit harder? 

Anybody who's been there and done it and got advice, please share!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #34 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:30:58 pm »
I'd definitely nix running until it's either happy or as happy as it is getting.  Treadmills have a sprung surface which means it's less impacty than roads; even less impacty is the cross-trainer (aka elliptical) which is that thing that's like footpods on levers that mimic running without any, y'know, running. 

The teen gamines naturally cluster to these machines, and I used one to good effect rehabbing the worst of my sad knee.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:43:45 pm »
My knee really likes low gears.  Its tolerance for high (much over 100rpm) cadences is reduced when it's playing up, so the combination can imply slowness.  But if I'm careful I can ride indefinitely, and the more riding I do (without doing anything silly), the more stable it is.

It doesn't like walking, especially in suboptimal footwear.  If it's being crap, I won't leave the house on foot without hiking boots.  In my book running is something you do when not missing your train/bus is a less painful option than a day or two of actual pain, and can usually be mitigated through better planning or taking the bike.

Increasing distances on the bike in a low gear sounds like a good idea to me, and I'd be inclined to leave the running, at least until after getting some input from the physio.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #36 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:09:57 pm »
I only just looked in this thread so forgive I and I if I and I are a bit slow.
November last year I did a silly bit of riding, trying to atch a van driver to "Teach Him a Lesson", and had a bad combination of problems. Had a TIA and was hospital for a few days but the thing that was worst was my left knee was in agony, whether moving or still!  Since then it has not got any betterer and the X-rays I had showed no problems. Had some gels from the GP to use but they didn't help much. Hardly able to cycle at all and walking is a bigger problem than normal. Managed to get some NSAID's from the GP a couple of days ago and am feeling some relief but still too much pain to do much. Should I try and see a Physio' privately? I saw the Lady Physio' that is at my local GP's once every three weeks and she told me to just do some easy movements and it would be alright. That was 6 months ago and I had little confidence in her at the time, less now!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Jakob

« Reply #37 on: 26 August, 2010, 11:43:05 pm »
Julian, I gave up on NHS physios. It's not that they don't have the knowledge, etc, but you are limited to 15 mins treatment per session, which will be something like every 2-4 weeks and it's not really enough for anything.
 I had a friend who was doing a stint at the NHS and she confirmed that it's not because they don't want to, but simply because of the silly short sessions.

I ended up using these guys:
Portland Physio London Physiotherapy Practice - central London physiotherapists WC1 and NW8

They're used to dealing with sports injuries, meaning that they will work with you to keep you active, or even competitive if needed. (But will also warn you of the risks of doing so).
They are also aware that people paying out of their own pockets wants to keep the cost down, so they'll work with you to keep cost down.

« Reply #38 on: 04 September, 2010, 11:58:05 pm »
Join a scheme like this Paycare - here to help
check the limits and payments, you may find that when you add up all your medical bills that the scheme is cheaper.
Says the man who gets minimum cover from his employer and tops up from wages, then claims Dental, Optical each year to recoup the amount I spent! I also get the opportunity for Chiropodist and Sports Physio if I need.

Other schemes are available. YMMV

Regarding NHS physio, after an RTA where my leg was badly broken, I got an appointment for physio once per week, we discussed my return to fitness and I asked for and GOT THREE appointments each week for three months. My leg was expected to take 12 months to heal - I managed it in four months.

If you feel that your physio does not give the advice you want/need then ask if you can talk to another person.
 ;D