Author Topic: sat nav for bikes  (Read 3046 times)

sat nav for bikes
« on: 08 April, 2008, 08:57:16 pm »
can anyone recommend a sat nav system that has a bike setting? i don't need anything to put on the bike, just something that would allow me to just go out with the thing in my jersey pocket, to be used only when i (inevitably) get lost.

cheers in advance.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Re: sat nav for bikes
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:56:34 am »
In the current state of the art with GPS mapping, "bike settings" are pretty meaningless. All that it will do is not route you up a motorway or other illegal road when you ask it to take you somewhere (assuming you have a capable one with maps). It's not going to avoid excessively hilly roads or anything.
As far as receiving a decent signal goes, they will all work just as well in a jersey pocket as on the handlebars.

How do you envisage using one when you do get lost?

If you just want to be located on a map, which you are then capable of navigating from, then pretty much any GPS will do (except the Edge 205/305, which don't give grid references for some reason) -- feel dubious, check the OSGR, find where you are on the map, and make appropriate decisions.

If you want to be taken home having got lost and without having to navigate from a paper map, you'll need something with reasonable built-in mapping and auto-routing, which means a more expensive GPS, plus the cost of the maps, so you are looking at an Etrex Legend (Cx, HCx or whatever), and a cost of somewhere in the range of £250-£350. To actually follow the directions when it is taking you home, you would probably want a bar mount as well, otherwise you'd constantly be rummaging in your pocket to take a look at it.

For occasional use, you could also consider a PDA with the pocket version of Memory Map, or a smartphone. Battery life may not be up to running it full time, so you'd be looking at a minute or so for satellite acquisition each time you fired the thing up. These will give you a (small) screenfull of sandard OS mapping to make use of

LEE

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:06:51 am »
Suggestion.

For the price of a low-end SatNav you can buy a Garmin Geko (or Etrex) for about £75 and Digital Maps of your area (Fugawi covers half of England for £40 or so).

Use Fugawi to print off a map of the area you are cycling around.  Stick map and GPS in back pocket.

If you get lost the GPS will give you your grid reference to about 20 feet.

You can also use the two together to plot routes.

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:21:45 am »
How much do you want to spend?

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2008, 08:25:33 am »
can anyone recommend a sat nav system that has a bike setting? i don't need anything to put on the bike, just something that would allow me to just go out with the thing in my jersey pocket, to be used only when i (inevitably) get lost.

cheers in advance.

TomTom has a bicycle setting.  I have it installed on my mobile phone (TomTom Navigator 6) and with a tiny and lightweight Holox GPS receiver it works very well.  Alternatively you could buy a TomTom GPS, but if you already carry a phone, it's one more item to carry around.

« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:38:52 am »
... To actually follow the directions when it is taking you home, you would probably want a bar mount as well, otherwise you'd constantly be rummaging in your pocket to take a look at it. ...

Yes, I took my car GPS with me a while back, when I was worried about getting lost, and inevitably did.  Trying to use a GPS whilst holding it in your hand, and cycling around small streets, in a town just doesn't work.  You need your hand on the handlebars occasionally, and it's not really an option to throw the GPS at the ground.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2008, 09:49:50 am »
Trying to use a GPS whilst holding it in your hand, and cycling around small streets, in a town just doesn't work.  You need your hand on the handlebars occasionally, and it's not really an option to throw the GPS at the ground.

I had the same problem with my lights and cycle computer, until I realised they could be mounted on the handlebars.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2008, 10:41:09 am »
In the current state of the art with GPS mapping, "bike settings" are pretty meaningless. All that it will do is not route you up a motorway or other illegal road when you ask it to take you somewhere (assuming you have a capable one with maps). It's not going to avoid excessively hilly roads or anything.

The two I played with (Garmin Mapsource on the PC, and another Garmin in the car) do have a bicycle setting, and they seem to route quite well sticking to the quieter roads.

Unfortunately I think they may have been programmed by sustrans as to get from A to B using that setting is about 5 times the distance of the sensible cycling route.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2008, 07:48:10 pm »
I wish we'd had one when we were stood in the p*ssing rain during the 2006 Dun Run.  It turned out that we were on the right road - we went wrong about 2 miles after that instead  :-\
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.