Author Topic: My commute is very pretty at this time of year.  (Read 5276 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My commute is very pretty at this time of year.
« on: 14 May, 2009, 09:20:36 pm »
Pictures of my commute - these were taken going home from work. I've missed out the first half mile which is ugly road. Unfortunately, one of the more interesting landmarks - a burnt-out moped - has either been removed, or possibly absorbed into the undergrowth from whence it will re-emerge, green, feral and out for vengeance.

Looking from the bridge at Duddingston Road South towards Bingham.

Along the side of the burn. Shopping trolley not visible.

Bandit country.

No burnt-out moped today!

The one road to cross on the 3-mile stretch.

That building on the other side of the road is our new Equipment Store. Hello Steven and Alison and David! (But not Colin any more).

The white gate used to be open but not any more. Nobody knows why, but probably to keep the local ferals/feral locals from joyriding their prickmobiles up and down the path.

Not all off-road cycle paths are rubbish.

The left side of the Mystery Steps to Nowhere, a prominent landmark on this path.

The right side of the Mystery Steps to Nowhere, a prominent landmark on this path.

Doesn't that look inviting? It always makes me think of that poem Bilbo writes about the road goes ever on and on.

It's a well-used path. I see the walking man most days. If he's not carrying anything, he usually has his hands clasped behind his back, Prince Phillip-style. In winter he wears an old brown raincoat. He never acknowledges me. I think I see the cyclist quite often too.

Next landmark. The new wall. They rebuilt it last year. On the other side of it is the Bawsinch nature reserve.

The gradient changes at this point. It gets steeper now the further west you go.

I like to amuse myself by seeing how far I can go without having to change gear. It doesn't look like much, but it's noticeably steeper now.

View to the north - Arthur's Seat.

You can just see the Tunnel looming ahead.

That jogger got ahead of me while I was taking pics. The cyclist coming down will be going very fast.

Pond on the south side. It's hard to get a good view of it when the trees are in leaf, but sometimes I catch a glimpse of swans.

Bramble flowers - I'm hoping for a good crop this year. If not, I'll go collecting along the canal. Mmm crumble.

Looking back towards the east, you can just see the tower of Duddingston Kirk.

The Tunnel.

The cyclist at the back is a bloke I see most days, either in the morning or the evening. We do the nod and smile.

It's not really that well lit, I had the flash on. You can just about make out how much higher the top end is.

The light at the end of the tunnel.

You get out of the Tunnel, only to find yourself faced with a precipice.

The other end looks a long way away. That's my bike!

Looking back down the hill.

The path continues, divided into bike side and pedestrian side. I nearly ran a binman over along there this morning. Hi-viz does not protect you if you just step out backwards into a cycle path without looking.

The Engine Shed at the west end of the path. It used to be an actual engine shed for the engines for the Innocent Railway. Now it's a bread and tofu factory and cafe run as a supported work project for people with learning disabilities. The bread's lovely. Tofu is not.

Looking back along, just a few seconds from home.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: My commute is very pretty at this time of year.
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:06:03 pm »
Lovely pics!

"Mystery steps to nowhere" are probably an old platform of the railway. The railings will be new, and to stop idiots falling off.

Many similar old platforms on the Camel Trail in Cornwall (Padstow to Bodmin) which used to be a railway.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »
Gosh.

Mine is some fields (with a "child friendley"  :sick: pub), a massive roundabout and flyover, some dual carriageway, a Hungry Horse pub, another massive roundabout, a generic urban road with a Shell petrol station, a couple of small roundabouts, a fairly large roundabout and an urban feeder road leading to the Salt Mines themselves.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:18:06 pm »
Very good. I lived in Embra for a while, great city to cycle around.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:23:14 pm »
Nice photos  :thumbsup:

What is the innocent railway?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:48:33 pm »
Gosh.

Mine is some fields (with a "child friendley"  :sick: pub), a massive roundabout and flyover, some dual carriageway, a Hungry Horse pub, another massive roundabout, a generic urban road with a Shell petrol station, a couple of small roundabouts, a fairly large roundabout and an urban feeder road leading to the Salt Mines themselves.

I could go round by the road but it wouldn't be pleasant and it would take longer and I'd be at increased risk of lorry-squishing. And there'd be no chance of seeing ducks and rabbits.

What is the innocent railway?

It's an old railway line, but the trains were horse-drawn rather than steam engine-drawn. That was considered to be safer and less likely to kill people, hence innocent. It goes from the St Leonards area of Edinburgh to Musselburgh and Dalkeith. Conveniently, it goes past ASDA and the Big W.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2009, 11:58:42 pm »
ASDA and the Big W.

Waitrose?

Thanks for the pics Kirst, it's a gift to see the details and to read the narrative - the nature, the people and the topography - of someone else's journey.  It does look quite lovely.

I consider the gauntlet thrown down, however  ;) and I will take some pics of my commute which I think is also lovely but in a different way.

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2009, 03:07:31 am »
I've lived in Edinburgh all my life, and cycled for most of it, but never used the Innocent Path before. I'll need to check it out one day.

I do use the Roseburn/Blackhall/Telford paths most days, also old paved railway lines, and apart from the fact it goes through some of the less well off areas of the city I'm always surprised at how pretty and well used it is. I can leave my house and do 17 miles, less than 5 of which are on road, and 2 of those are on the deserted streets round Barnton (checking out the millionaires houses).

Cycle paths get a lot of stick, and rightly so on most occasions, but I think we're quite lucky in Edinburgh. Now, if they'd only fix the potholed streets...

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2009, 07:05:52 am »
I'm in Edinburgh regularly for work - will have to take the Brompton next time and scoot around.

I often take the train down, and the as-yet-unridden plan has been to bike out from Edinburgh on NCN1 and pick up the train at Inverkeithing, having ridden the Forth Road Bridge.

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2009, 08:48:03 am »
I wish my commute was half as scenic as that.  I do have some green bits across the commons, but they are just largely big flat green areas with little of interest, aside from the occasional ducks ambling across the path near one of the ponds on Clapham Common.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2009, 01:34:51 pm »
Pictures of my commute - these were taken going home from work.

Bramble flowers - I'm hoping for a good crop this year. If not, I'll go collecting along the canal. Mmm crumble.

Nettle crumble? (washed down with Irn-Bru, perhaps?)

You're hard up there in Scotland!

Great photos BTW!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2009, 04:49:33 pm »
I wish my commute was half as scenic as that.  I do have some green bits across the commons, but they are just largely big flat green areas with little of interest, aside from the occasional ducks ambling across the path near one of the ponds on Clapham Common.
Sometimes the rabbits run out in front of me, just for a laugh.  ::-)

Nettle crumble? (washed down with Irn-Bru, perhaps?)

You're hard up there in Scotland!

No, they're flowers on the new bramble shoots, honest. But we are hard.  :D

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2009, 04:50:19 pm »
It must take you ages to commute with all those stops for photos  ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2009, 05:15:18 pm »
Is it just me that think that Arthur much have had been a big fella, just look at his seat !!

Lovely pic's :)

I should make the same, but every day my route is different :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2009, 08:09:34 pm »
It must take you ages to commute with all those stops for photos  ;D
Depending on the wind direction and speed, it's about 15 minutes there and 20 back. I think it took me about half an hour on Wednesday with the photographic stops.

And allow me to congratulate you on the terrifyingness of your new avatar!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2009, 08:13:28 pm »
I've had a BBQ in the Innocent Tunnel.

We burnt an old railway sleeper we found.

I can't find the photos, but I'm still looking.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2009, 08:14:17 pm »
I could go round by the road but it wouldn't be pleasant and it would take longer and I'd be at increased risk of lorry-squishing.
Wow! You squish lorries? I'm impressed.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Really Ancien

« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2009, 08:23:22 pm »
It's White Dead Nettle, lamium album.

Damon.

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #18 on: 16 May, 2009, 12:47:24 am »
Great stuff.

Not much mystery about the steps to nowhere - it's a disused station platform

rdaviesb

« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2009, 12:46:03 pm »
Very nice. Fancy swapping it for 12 miles of dual carriageway?  :sick:

I thought not.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #20 on: 23 May, 2009, 03:49:36 pm »
Great stuff.

Not much mystery about the steps to nowhere - it's a disused station platform

I don't think so. There were no intermediate stations along the route. The railway was horse-drawn and people just got on and off wherever they liked.