Author Topic: Where to buy a GPS  (Read 3126 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Where to buy a GPS
« on: 27 May, 2010, 09:04:33 pm »
So I need to get a GPS and I'm pretty sure which model, the Dakota 20, but now the question is where to get it from.

I have seen that Buy Sat Nav TomTom Garmin HTC PDA Tom Tom GPS Cheap - Reviews has it for a very good price, but I don't know the handtec. I would like to use a good and reliable retailer.

So where would you buy yours ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Where to buy a GPS
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2010, 09:07:37 pm »
Handtec are fine.  That's where I got mine.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2010, 09:28:14 pm »
I've bought items from Handtec - good service.

« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2010, 09:30:12 pm »
I'd buy it from Amazon rather than Handtec... it is the same price.

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:05:48 pm »
I purchased from Handtec also - good service.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:18:06 pm »
Handtec were great for me, and much cheaper at the time than Amazon.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2010, 10:18:30 pm »
No problems with Handtec...

plum

« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2010, 07:03:32 am »
Handtec here. Was a bit worried about returns if anything went wrong, but my HCx has gone wrong this week and I've found that Garmin will deal direct with warranty repairs with very quick turnaround so no issues there.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2010, 05:51:13 pm »
I can't say I'd be desperately fussed about how good the repair service was as Amazon just replace or refund no questions asked IME if bits of tech misbehave.

My daughter had a netbook that gave up the ghost about 3 weeks before the 2 year warranty expired. They emailed me a label for the courier, sent a courier round to collect and instantly credited my card the full purchase price. Basically we got two years free rental and our money back to buy a better device for less money.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #9 on: 29 May, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
I've just bought an Edge 705 from handtec.  Ordered at lunchtime yesterday and delivered (to Northern Ireland!) this morning at 08:15.

It ended up being a complicated order process as Lloyds TSB's fraud prevention gurus decided they didn't really want me to have a GPS! Originally I ordered online with PentagonGPS, placing the order in the early hours of Monday morning, happily noting the emails confirming receipt of the credit card payment and acknowledgement that the order had been processed.  I expected delivery on Wednesday or Thursday, but when I got home on Thursday evening nothing had arrived. When I went online to check the order status I found that the order had been suspended.

At work on Friday morning the order status was still suspended so at lunchtime I phoned Pentagon and was informed that their "system" had flagged the transaction as fraudulent, hence the suspended order. They were unable to tell me why I had to phone them to find this out and said that the only way to reinstate the order would be to re-order, claiming that the credit card payment had been refunded.

So I phoned the TSB and found that they had blocked the transaction but said they hadn't yet received a refund, although that could still be working its way through the system. Getting back to Pentagon they were still insisting that I needed to place a new order and were only grudgingly apologetic about failing to let me know about the problems with the payment so I told them the business was going elsewhere.

I'd seen this thread so I telephoned handtec and ordered from them. Instantly I was told this transaction had been blocked. Their automatic systems also sent me an email at the same time to inform me of the problem. Another phone call to the TSB sorted that out (though still no refund from Pentagon yet) and phoning back to handtec the blocked order was reinstated. I was told that delivery to Northern Ireland usually took 3 or 4 days so I was delighted when the postman arrived early this morning.

Conclusion, definitely  :thumbsup: for handtec.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »
Yup, my Oregon was Handtec too. Not a lot to say. Cheap, sent quickly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2010, 02:54:03 pm »
To get all the other bits (bicycle mount, screen protector, extra memory) we ay the end went with amazon since we do it all with one click so to speak. Handtec didn't have it all.

Thanks all, now we are just waiting for the delivery.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2010, 06:16:34 pm »
Thinking of buying from Handtec but prefer Parcelforce/Royal Mail as everyone else is a major pain here (Salisbury area) and you have to travel miles if it's a depot pickup job (One reason I've given up on Wiggle).

JUlia
Reine de la Fauche

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2010, 06:25:39 pm »

« Reply #14 on: 07 August, 2010, 07:48:24 pm »
Got my vista hcx from amazon (whoever were cheapest). Turned up quickly, as did the handlebar mount. Handtec were about £15 more expensive.

« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2010, 11:53:28 am »
I've used Handtec and Amazon and both are great but I'd always recommend Amazon as if the unit goes wrong even six months down the line Amazon returns policy is brilliant.

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:47:07 pm »
I've used Handtec and Amazon and both are great but I'd always recommend Amazon as if the unit goes wrong even six months down the line Amazon returns policy is brilliant.

At the moment Handtec are doing the Dakota 20 at a good price - I'm more concerned about who they get to do the delivery....

J
Reine de la Fauche

corshamjim

« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2010, 07:58:13 pm »
I bought a Dakota 20 from Handtec last week.  I changed the delivery preference from next day to standard (it's a bit cheaper) and it was delivered by DPD on the Tuesday morning following my order on Sunday.  They sent an email on the Monday saying "Your order from GPSK will be delivered 3 August by DPD. Can you please ensure that someone will be available to sign for the parcel at:" and giving a link to a tracking website which worked pretty well.

They sent another email at 07:56 on the Tuesday to say:

"Your order from GPSK is due for delivery between 08:34-09:34"

and giving a button to change the delivery date if I wanted.

I don't think they could have done more to be helpful frankly.

BTW, I'm really impressed with the Dakota 20 too.

« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2010, 01:12:59 pm »
Thanks all, especially coshamjim! Unit and bits arrived today for other half's birthday - I believe he's downloading geocaches onto it as I type!

J
Reine de la Fauche

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2010, 01:22:34 pm »
When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be one of those philosophical/rhetorical questions like "How does the snowplough driver get to work?"
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip