Author Topic: GB medal tally  (Read 1856 times)

GB medal tally
« on: 30 July, 2012, 11:31:49 am »
All the pundits were predicting more medals for GB than Beijing 4 years ago. Early days yet but that looks a bit optimistic now.
Any guesses, Brucie style ,higher or lower ?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: GB medal tally
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:36:09 am »
Lower.
It is simpler than it looks.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:41:08 am »
Defo lower.

Pessimistically, I don't think we'll do brilliantly in the velodrome, despite what the media imagine.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:15:45 pm »
Isn't it pretty much impossible to get as many medals as last time, on account of the one rider per country per event rule?
It is simpler than it looks.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:18:53 pm »
Plus, they're 4-years older, already have a gold medal, and are less hungry for it.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »
Plus, they're 4-years older, already have a gold medal, and are less hungry for it.

Doesn't the Olympic performance plan allow for this ? e.g Jason Kenny being selected for sprint event based on form not reputation.

Other sports just dont seem to have been able to replicate the success of the cycling team and I just get this feeling that the Lottery funding, which produced the winners of  2008 ,  is somehow going to get diverted elsewhere or is being spent in the wrong sports .

Rebecca Adlington won a bronze medal in an event in which  she won gold 4 years ago. :thumbsup: But she swam faster in 2012 than she did in 2008.
And no other female  British swimmer has returned to a second Olympics and won a second medal.

The rest of the world is learning in the same way that we copied the Australian centres of Excellence.