Author Topic: Mens time trial  (Read 9101 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Mens time trial
« Reply #25 on: 01 August, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »
Yes, Cancellara looked in a bad way as he came through. :(
Getting there...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #26 on: 01 August, 2012, 05:31:35 pm »
We heard him ask "how did I do", and there was by the look of it no clock there for him to see.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 01 August, 2012, 05:32:01 pm »

It seemed to me that Wiggins was being respectful to Cancellara in not celebrating before he came in.
The best bit for me was seeing Martin and Wiggins leant up against the barriers, sat on the tarmac getting some shade, and Wiggins embracing Martin, that could have been a scene from any open TT.

Yes, I liked that bit too. And the fact that they both (and Fabian) all slumped down in the same 4m strip of shade, no running into motorhomes.

On a slight -ve ... Hugh Porter spoiled both race finishes for me. The cameramen got right in there with Wiggo (and Armistead), and the mikes were picking up the riders chat with their team/entourage (the "have I won?" "oh god I'm knackered" type of stuff), only for Porter to yell some inanities over the top. Really good bits of telly ruined :(

(but do riders embrace at CTT events? <shudders> )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #28 on: 01 August, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »
It is amazing that SKy don't broadcast cycling on their sports channels  ???
I watched it on eurosport  ??? with michael hutchins sean kelly and david harmon commentating  :thumbsup:
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #29 on: 01 August, 2012, 05:48:05 pm »
(but do riders embrace at CTT events? <shudders> )

The favourites going off on a 10 number militates against it. That and the fact that the winner hasn't had the hopes of an entire nation on their shoulders for a whole month.

« Reply #30 on: 01 August, 2012, 05:52:16 pm »
I watched it on eurosport  ??? with michael hutchins sean kelly and david harmon commentating  :thumbsup:

You mean Michael Hutchinson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hutchinson_(cyclist)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #31 on: 01 August, 2012, 06:03:05 pm »
Wiggins just got a huge cheer at the millennium stadium as his medal ceremony was shown on the big screen. Britains most decorated Olympian.
It is simpler than it looks.

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #32 on: 01 August, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »
the very fellow  :facepalm: he should give time trialling a go he seems to know a bit about it  ;)
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #33 on: 01 August, 2012, 06:09:27 pm »
The average age of the men's podium was just under 29, the women's just over 35.
Armstrong is 38 and Wiggins 32.

« Reply #34 on: 01 August, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »
Argh! Just got home and found that my DVD/HDD box didn't record the men's TT today.  :(

After the result, it's one I'd like to keep, so does anyone have it recorded who could copy it to DVD for me please? Happy to supply discs and cover costs as required.

Thanks in advance.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 01 August, 2012, 07:01:22 pm »

More here
Getting there...

« Reply #36 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:03:42 pm »
To save cross-posting, more in the messages following this.

« Reply #37 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »
They don't half all look fatter on the telly
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #38 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:18:46 pm »
Where I was set up I had the rather less-than-photogenic "Esher tyre and exhaust" as a backdrop.

I may need to do a little Photoshop twiddling to turn it into "tired and exhausted"...
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #39 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:55:15 pm »
They've just had Bradley Wiggins in the BBC Olympic studio and then out on the balcony and all you could hear was the crowd in the background shouting Wiggo ... Wiggo ... Wiggo ...  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:24:31 pm »

Maybe Michael Hutchence was hanging around

Getting there...

« Reply #41 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »
There's a great press sesh with Bradders on sky news at the moment. He said rude words and everything!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #42 on: 01 August, 2012, 11:09:12 pm »
I was at the last corner. The noise was incredible. Every athlete got great cheers. The sound hit painful as soon as anyone british appeared on the big screen. I'll post the video in a bit of the crowd during the last 300m.. The noise went through painful and when he crossed the line slightly dazed seagulls were falling out of the sky.

I had never witnessed a pitch invasion at a time trial before.. There is a first time for everything.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #43 on: 01 August, 2012, 11:11:19 pm »
I was at the last corner. The noise was incredible. Every athlete got great cheers. The sound hit painful as soon as anyone british appeared on the big screen. I'll post the video in a bit of the crowd during the last 300m.. The noise went through painful and when he crossed the line slightly dazed seagulls were falling out of the sky.

I had never witnessed a pitch invasion at a time trial before.. There is a first time for everything.

All. Excellent. News.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Re: Mens time trial
« Reply #44 on: 01 August, 2012, 11:40:32 pm »
They've just had Bradley Wiggins in the BBC Olympic studio and then out on the balcony and all you could hear was the crowd in the background shouting Wiggo ... Wiggo ... Wiggo ...  ;D

It's mad but fantastic.  I guess that's what happens when

A. A Brit wins the tour, and

B. the swimtennisball stuff doesn't deliver an early gold and hence the tabloid press start printing wiggo sideburns

Not that I'm complaining. Now I want a mudguard sticker of a roundel with sideburns and a little gold circle below.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:07:31 am »

Maybe Michael Hutchence was hanging around

Hutch has just been on the wireless talking about Wiggo  (thankfully there was no h****t content). I have to say, his voice doesn't match his face!

Still one of my cycling heroes; I'd love to hear some proper commentary from him.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles