Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 286555 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #1175 on: 03 January, 2020, 04:34:39 pm »
I heard of a wedding prank gone wrong where the groom's mates froze four cans of builder's expanding foam, and then shut them into the couple's car where they defrosted (the cans split when they're frozen, like a can of Coke).  The car had to be written off; there is no way you're going to get that stuff out once it's forced its way down the air vents, under the seats, up under the dash etc.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1176 on: 31 March, 2020, 06:23:16 pm »

The local press are obviously running out of things to write about that they made this a story to itself.
(There's a deli just behind the camera that does really good foccacia.)
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/selfish-bmw-driver-slated-blocking-4000754
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1177 on: 01 April, 2020, 12:19:05 pm »
Our local council has announced that it won't be enforcing parking restrictions for the foreseeable future (in line with government guidance, it says). The result has been predictable, including a lot of pavement parking. I could understand not sending parking wardens out on the streets, just, but actually making an announcement of the fact seems pretty dumb, to my mind.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1178 on: 01 April, 2020, 12:23:50 pm »
I don't know that there's been any government guidance on it. Each of the LAs here has a different approach. Bristol is still (theoretically at least) enforcing all parking restrictions – haven't actually seen a parking warden (can't remember the official title) recently, they used to come up our street twice a day – others are partially enforcing and one, I think it was Bath, is officially not enforcing anything, even double yellows.

« Reply #1179 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:17:45 pm »
Merton Council have every bus lane, every yellow hatched box junction, and every set of traffic lights equipped with cameras, all of which deliver fines to offending motorists.

I imagine their revenue stream is taking a bit of a hit at the moment. (The scheme apparently paid for its installation costs within the first year of operation.)
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1180 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:40:42 pm »
And probably in six months if you count the externalities like bus timekeeping, access for waste collection and emergency services and reduced congestion due to fewer blocked junctions.

« Reply #1181 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:44:24 pm »
Our local council has announced that it won't be enforcing parking restrictions for the foreseeable future (in line with government guidance, it says). The result has been predictable, including a lot of pavement parking. I could understand not sending parking wardens out on the streets, just, but actually making an announcement of the fact seems pretty dumb, to my mind.

Bucks announced last week that all council car parking charges would be suspended, along with yellow line restrictions, the only exceptions being parking in disabled spots. As I avoid Aylesbury like the plague I’ve not seen the results. Eventually I’ll have to brave the big Tesco, but hopefully not for a couple more weeks.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1182 on: 02 April, 2020, 10:31:14 pm »
I noticed today that white van man still has to park on the pavements. While also noticing that the chance of inconveniencing any other driver by making them wait for a gap in the traffic was nil.

« Reply #1183 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:42:03 am »
Merton Council have every bus lane, every yellow hatched box junction, and every set of traffic lights equipped with cameras, all of which deliver fines to offending motorists.
It wouldn't be fair to fine a vehicle owner if they had to turn into a road that meant them crossing
a bus lane.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1184 on: 03 April, 2020, 01:27:05 pm »
Ticket on a car parked on Double Yellows outside my house today.

No sympathy, even though the lianes are there because there is a school opposite, which is closed. The town centre is less than 150m away and parking restrictions are lifted in the already free town centre car parks, which are empty.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1185 on: 07 April, 2020, 02:20:30 am »

« Reply #1186 on: 11 April, 2020, 01:15:23 am »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1187 on: 11 April, 2020, 08:19:46 am »
more rental car parking woes

Huh. Won't let me in because I'm in a country that applies EU data protection rules.  I rather think I'm glad of that - no telling what chicanery they might be getting up to.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1188 on: 11 April, 2020, 09:23:03 am »
Huh. Won't let me in

Search for "Maui rental cars sugar cane" and you'll see what happens when the tourists go home and all of a sudden there are 18,000 rental cars too many for the airport parking lot

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1189 on: 12 April, 2020, 12:13:58 am »

« Reply #1190 on: 12 April, 2020, 05:07:00 pm »
Arf :)

https://goo.gl/maps/27aB7C1mvQmwuABj6

If I were the farmer, I would certainly be tempted to use the blunt thing behind the tractor to pull the car out of there ;D

A

« Reply #1191 on: 12 April, 2020, 10:38:56 pm »
If I were the farmer, I would
have the driver roll the windows down and pick the car up with the forklift tines

« Reply #1192 on: 16 April, 2020, 09:41:43 pm »
If I were the farmer, I would
have the driver roll the windows down and pick the car up with the forklift tines
Why open the windows? I'm sure the at the forklift tines wouldn't find the windows a problem.
(If you lift a car with the roof, it's seriously damaged anyhow)
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #1193 on: 18 April, 2020, 05:51:46 pm »

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1194 on: 22 April, 2020, 11:51:46 am »

Where do you park your plane when the airport is overcrowded?

Waiting for a delivery of lemon soaked paper napkins

« Reply #1195 on: 22 April, 2020, 11:55:12 pm »
I assumed that was virus related - it's actually almost a year old, and storage for the problem-ridden Boeing 737 MAX 

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/bwuamw/grounded_737max_near_boeing_field_seattle_this/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1196 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:07:04 pm »
This is a mixture of crap cycle facilities and people who park like fuds.
The lane is all over 2m long (although it leads to a shared use footway) but is often used as a teeny parking bay.
linky

Remember this one, from a couple of years back?  I went past it yesterday, on the way to and from the optician.  Here's what was parked there on the way there:

Then this was there on the way back:

It looks like the bollard in the original link has been replaced with one that doesn't have a magic cycle path sign on it, which makes it just fine to park there. Obvs.

(How can people think that represents a parking bay? Car shaped, yes, but with Give Way lines each end. Twats.)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1197 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:14:49 pm »
That's an extraordinarily special piece of cycling infrastructure.
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1198 on: 25 June, 2020, 01:17:49 pm »
That's an extraordinarily special piece of cycling infrastructure.
It is quite magical.  I shall ask my chum who works for the relevant local authority if he knows anything about it.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1199 on: 25 June, 2020, 07:00:52 pm »
High Street North, Newham, London.  Many parking bays suspended to widen pavements.  No problem.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: