Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134264 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13800 on: 14 May, 2019, 12:57:34 pm »
Looked at a couple of photos of 'bents online, decided to check my chainline on the M5, ten minutes of fettling ensued.  I can't remember if I've tried this set up before, it's potentially more front wheel conflict, but mechanically better.

I also think I might need to take out a bit more chain to prevent too much slack in small ring up front.  Not entirely avoidable in small-small, but then I shouldn't be there should I.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13801 on: 14 May, 2019, 01:00:29 pm »
Big:Big is useful and important onna 'bent.  Small:small not so much, unless you've got a 406 rear wheel and want to raise the derailleur cage to prevent it gobbling up grass.

ElyDave

« Reply #13802 on: 14 May, 2019, 02:32:04 pm »
Big:Big is useful and important onna 'bent.  Small:small not so much, unless you've got a 406 rear wheel and want to raise the derailleur cage to prevent it gobbling up grass.

I was just being lazy and not changing up at the front, long wobbly chain line is more forgiving on the M5 than the S40

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13803 on: 14 May, 2019, 05:53:19 pm »
I appear to have used ordinary straight-slotted countersunk wood screws from the late Permian
Nah, can't be.  They didn't appear until the early Cretaceous, just after Chixulub and the demise of the dinosaurs.....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13804 on: 15 May, 2019, 10:46:58 am »
I appear to have used ordinary straight-slotted countersunk wood screws from the late Permian
Nah, can't be.  They didn't appear until the early Cretaceous, just after Chixulub and the demise of the dinosaurs.....

I shall take photos in context, clearly indicating the neighbouring layers (mostly 16mm ply).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13805 on: 15 May, 2019, 10:58:30 am »
Meanwhile, I haz fettled a layer of collodion onto the nicks in my left forefinger due to not holding an electric drill tightly enough.  Drill-bit jammed, drill rotated.

« Reply #13806 on: 15 May, 2019, 02:04:55 pm »
Replacing the bearings in a freehub necessitated a visit to my local friendly bearing shop.  All reassembled now and ready for Wales.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13807 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:22:50 pm »
A black box of electrickery, to replace the rectifier and Zener diode on my 73 Triumph Tiger 750.  It was charging at up to 16.5V, which seems a bit high to me.  Given that just the diode is £50, and the electrickery £33, so I get a new diode and a rectifier for that price, seems sensible as if the voles are too strong they'll eat both electronic ignition unit and the bulbs.

Having then done that and made the wiring all neat and tidy, moved on to investigating the stiff gear change.

Took off the outer cover plate c/w kickstart and gear change mechanism and furtled.  Gearbox oil very emulsified after only a month.  The bike's not been wet so where does the water come from?  Condensation?  Anyway, no shiny metallic bits in the oil so that's good.

The gearchange mechanism has seen better days so cleaned it up and reassembled, then ordered some new parts that should solve the problem.  The poor thing is 46 years old after all.  New oil in the morning, then out for a ride.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13808 on: 16 May, 2019, 05:25:24 pm »
My tame motorcycle mechanic always leaves a big sign on the bike saying 'NO OIL' if he's leaving one on the bench overnight.

I've never asked why . . .  :demon:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13809 on: 16 May, 2019, 07:39:28 pm »
In our house we have a convention of sticking catch-all "NICHT GEFINGERPOKEN!" signs on things that are in a state of non-obvious peril / have exposed live connections / wet paint / curing adhesive / partway through some hours-long computation or testing process that won't respond well to being interrupted / are needed as cyclist-fuel in the morning.

ElyDave

« Reply #13810 on: 16 May, 2019, 08:24:15 pm »
I have soem "confined space, do not enter" signs in Dutch for my office door at home, for when privacy is required

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13811 on: 17 May, 2019, 08:26:46 am »
Started my Great Workshop Reorganization, prompted by buying that drill press earlier this week. Feeling tired already.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13812 on: 17 May, 2019, 01:08:58 pm »
Bled the front brake on HK's Kinesis after replacing an olive and retaped the bars. Ready for tomorrow's Flatlands 600.

Adjusted the Alfine 11 gears and replaced the wornout Ergon grips/ barends on HK's MTB commuter.

Lubed a couple of chains. Put the roof rack on the car and the audax tandem on the roof rack. Ready for tomorrow's BCM 600.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

« Reply #13813 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:41:47 pm »
managed to fettle my Blue Tooth speaker to both play music and act as a talking box for skype with the work laptop, it's previously been adamantly refusing.

« Reply #13814 on: 17 May, 2019, 04:50:09 pm »
Changed the cleats on my cycling shoes. Needed doing struggled in last night and when. I got home had to lean on wall to unclip. Had the sense to draw round the old ones with a marker pen so should be somewhere near the same position

« Reply #13815 on: 19 May, 2019, 10:16:31 pm »
A bit of getting ready today...
Gave the bike a wipe, oil and a check over. I decided that there’s plenty of stopping left in the brake blocks, but a twist tighter and another spare in my bag was needed.
Then printed a few copies of bits of OS maps rather than lug half a dozen round Scotland (the Sustrans maps showing the roads in between well enough).
Then had a first go at packing. It fits, though space for extra things is limited and the list of things I don’t have is short.

« Reply #13816 on: 20 May, 2019, 01:13:10 pm »
A weekends worth. Friday it was the (should have been) straightforward replacement of an ailing modem/router. Except I read the wrong part of the settings needed, and only after calling support (third party router innit, can't help you mate  ::-)) did i carefully re-read the printout, and notice I needed to change the VLAN setting. So, sorted, eventually. The came the job of re-connecting all the wifi devices. That went surprisingly well, the Sonos, because I run them on their owm mesh, just needed power cycling. And the Echo Dot was simple enough to reconfigure too.

Then Saturday it was time to tackle the new! shiny! smart! TV. Wow, that was close - must be all of 5mm a side clearance in the alcove (I did measure before buying, honest). Turn on TV, spend oooh, 15 minutes running through the setup and connecting it to the network (for purposes of "casting"). Actually went quite well.

Then there was the hour spent resetting and repairing the powerline adaptors. I think it was finger trouble, pressing for too long and jumping beyond the stage I wanted to be at!

So, time to try the Airbeam "Mirror for Samsung" app. Managed to get the picture mirrored from phone to TV (I like to watch Australian V8 supercars and the only way is from within their "superview" app) but no sound. Email airbeam support, response goes to junk mail  :-\.  "Oh, our app won't work with safari (or Chrome, or Firefox .....) try Puffin or UC. And if you set your phone to silent (I do mainly) you won't get sound".  Finally got it to work with Puffin. And then.....

I chose this TV because it meant I could cast to it directly and not via an Apple TV. I started to read the manual, and discovered that on Monday of last week (after I''d bought the TV) Samsung had started support for Airplay2! Ooooh thought I, that sounds good. Tried it, didn't work. Google. Ah, need to update the phone IOS as well.

That's as far as I got. Will double check TV firmware to make sure it's up to date, and then try again. I suspect it may take a while to shake out the bugs and get it working seamlessly, but in general pleased.

And today I took the plunge and decided to switch broadband from Plusnet to Vodafone..... That's bound to go well. But the Voda offer is 30% cheaper for he same rate, and Plusnet have been slowly going down as far as customer service is concerned (see comments above re setting up modem). 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13817 on: 20 May, 2019, 07:34:42 pm »
A just fettled a new battery into my Mk 1 Exposure Blaze rear light.

It got left for a while, with no charge, and that effectively killed the battery.  It would take no charge whatsoever, and when I took it apart, the cell only registered 0.08V, dropping rapidly under the load of the AVO!

You need something like a vice, with the base of the lamp wrapped in firm rubber, to unscrew the two halves of the case, but once you do, remove the battery and carefully remove all the insulation.  Desolder the battery protection circuitry from the tagged cell.

I found a suitable 18500 cell online, here, remember that you need to order the Type A tagged version (which costs another 79p!)

One of the tags on the new cell needed to be shortened a little bit, but then I just soldered the protection board to the cell, with some insulation underneath, then wrapped the entire battery in more insulation, including two layers of heat shrink, put the whole thing back together, and voila a working light. ;D

Given that a Mk 2 light, if you can find one, is £90, and the Mk 3 version appears to be well over £100, an expenditure of slightly over £8 and half an hours work, seems worthwhile.  The new battery is also 2000mAh vs 1500mAh for the old one, so this should also last longer than it ever used too. :thumbsup:

If you try to do this, do remember that Lithium cells have a nasty habit of going bang if shorted out, and I'd be careful about too much heat from the soldering iron or heat gun (for any heat shrink), although part of the point of using tagged cells is to minimise that.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13818 on: 21 May, 2019, 10:15:55 am »
Top fettling there, Tim! :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13819 on: 21 May, 2019, 11:21:29 am »
Hooked a load of debris inc. half a brick and an old bird's-nest out of the disused & sawn-off stovepipe in a top back corner of my workshop, then bunged it up with expanding foam and screwed a board over it.

I'll probably go out in a while & find that the expanding foam has pushed the plugs & screws out of the wall. I detest that sort of job; witness the fact that I have been meaning to do it for the last 30 years.

« Reply #13820 on: 21 May, 2019, 05:46:34 pm »
Installed, as a replacement, a new electric shower.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13821 on: 21 May, 2019, 05:58:05 pm »
Managed to get a rounded bolt out of my mtb shoes - drilled it with a bit until it was a few mm deep and then jammed an Allen key into the bastard until it purchased and turned.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13822 on: 24 May, 2019, 09:13:57 am »
Went down to Bike Kitchen last night with the wheel I did a rim swap on about six weeks ago and finished truing it. Well, it's reasonably true and at least I've sorted out the dishing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13823 on: 24 May, 2019, 09:26:21 am »
Late last night, fitted a new chain and cassette to HK's Kinesis commuter. It looks like the 105 rear mech will require replacement in a few months due to excessive wear. The bike was built up in September or thereabouts...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13824 on: 24 May, 2019, 09:50:22 am »
I haven't yet.  Two new tyres to fit before tomorrow.  Old friend coming down this evening to disrupt preparations and ride tomorrow.